Another Air-con question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Air-con question

Sorry for Hijacking but I have ducted throughout my house but due to the renos and the fact that the old condenser (or whatever its called- big fan box thingy) was on the wall that was being demolished plus it was 3phase and running old gas which you cant get. I was advised to just get a new one. Everywhere I haev looked is either selling the whole house set up or just wall units.

Can anyone advise on the best place to go just to get the condenser is, and if there will be any issues with attaching it to my existing ducting?
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Originally posted by Professor Redfern View Post
    Sorry for Hijacking but I have ducted throughout my house but due to the renos and the fact that the old condenser (or whatever its called- big fan box thingy) was on the wall that was being demolished plus it was 3phase and running old gas which you cant get. I was advised to just get a new one. Everywhere I haev looked is either selling the whole house set up or just wall units.

Can anyone advise on the best place to go just to get the condenser is, and if there will be any issues with attaching it to my existing ducting?
    Dependant on its age but I suspect it is on R22. The refrigerant is still available but is very expensive due to it being phased out. As a result no one has made units to suit this refrigerant for some years now.

If you have a package unit, (everything outside except ducting) which is unlikely, you should be able to replace it with a newie and connect to the existing duct which may just blow apart and will most likely not comply with the new BCA as mentioned by Brougham previously.

If it is a ducted split, like most domestic ducted systems, the indoor unit will not match anything available and still work. The refrigerant pipe work would also need to be replaced, the indoor heat exchanger flushed of any oil traces and the pipework confirmed to be able to handle the new refrigerant pressures.

In other words you are screwed unless you have a relative/friend in the industry who will work for nothing and is very switched on.

You could go and do a two week part time course that will accredit you to install up to 18 kW systems and then put your own in but I suspect it would not be much cheaper than some of the prices I have heard of. This is why there are a plethora of companies out there banging in these systems for what is a bargain basement price.

Ask if all the installers are qualified tradespeople? Ask to see some papers.

After all $8k-$15k isn't too big an investment to rely on laborers and a salesperson to get it right, is it? We are "just blowing air down a pipe, how hard can it be?"

My issue with the industry is that it has been left to salespeople to educate the public and that always works.

Good luck to you all!
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Can someone measure up theirs or tell me what size colorbond duct I need to go over split ac pipework?
      Last edited by Halo_2; 04-01-2014, 10:06 AM.
      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Most use a 75mm/100mm/75mm capping, looks similar to a down pipe.

Comment

Who sells it bunnings didn't have any?
          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Airfrig in Belmont sells predone lengths.

Comment

I can give you a lenght tomorrow arvo if you want, I'm in Thornlie.

Comment

airfrig is in bayswater, actrols are in belmont same with heatcraft.
                "Insert signature here"

Comment

Working...
                X