Bushcraft : living with roo ticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushcraft : living with roo ticks

Spending a fair amount of time in the bush riding/walking, what do ya know of to prevent ticks sticking and what methods other than the "OMFG! there's a tick on me!" tear it off one do ya use??
    faster ya go closer to nirvana

carry some turpentine with you. splash some on the tick and they will drop off in a few hours.

Comment

Kill it with fire.

Comment

I used tea tree oil when I had one. I suspect that any oil/solvent that you are willing to put on your skin should work. It would all depend on what you have to hand.
        Make sure it is dead before trying to pull it off, otherwise the head can stay in.

Comment

Find a friendly smoker and tickle its arse with a lit ciggie. It's a time honoured method.

Comment

you can apparently get clothing impregnated with an insecticide, tuck pants into socks etc... cover every square inch of your body

Comment

actually all of the above suggestions are incorrect except the last one... DO NOT put anything on the tick or it will spew its gut contents into you as it dies...the best way to remove a tick is a gentle tug of war with it until it lets go... you will usually get a welt that lasts from 2 weeks to 2 months....bushmens personal insecticide is best to prevent attachment in first place..fortunately we don't have the paralysis tick in WA but still a pain...if you have an infestation see the doc as anti biotics may be required
              A site all parents should check regulary
              http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Don't just pull it out though - it could end badly for you. Here's some useful info from the Department of Medical Entomology:

Tick Removal

If a tick is detected that is attached, never attempt to place any chemical such as methylated spirits onto the tick, nor should it be touched or disturbed, as the tick will inject saliva into the skin, which could make the situation worse. Rather the tick should be sprayed with an aerosol insect repellent preferably containing pyrethrin or a pyrethroid (if a repellent cannot be found which contains a pyrethroid, then Lyclear, a scabies cream containing permethrin will work fine). The combination of hydrocarbons and the pyrethrin acts as a narcotic and a toxicant, and prevents the tick from injecting its saliva. The tick should be sprayed again one minute later (or dabbed with the Lyclear) and left. After 24 hours it should drop off naturally or be gently removed with fine-tipped forceps. It is normal for a tick bite to remain slightly itchy for several weeks, however if other symptoms develop, then a doctor should be consulted immediately.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

The only ones I've got out without them leaving their head behind was by smearing them with a tiny bit of leaded fuel.
                  -

Comment

Ask them for their thoughts on fender eliminators, lane splitting and bike insurance.
                    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                      Ask them for their thoughts on fender eliminators, lane splitting and bike insurance.
                      The thread was ticking along nicely...

Comment

Originally posted by Old frt View Post
                        The thread was ticking along nicely...
                        that mite be true, but don't let phildo bug you too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukefal View Post
                          that mite be true, but don't let phildo bug you too much.
                          Awww... I don't bite...
                          One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Worked in the bush for a while,we used Vicks.

Comment

Burnt the tips of a pair of tweezers and pinched his bum with it. He let go straight away.

Little shit was on my shoulder, under the weight of a 15kg pack.
                              Originally posted by vk6hgr
                              My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

Working...
                              X