Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Dropping

Hey guys,

Having some issues with my internet dropping out at random times.
    I've had the issue on going for about a year now. Seems to get worse in warmer weather.

It used to be affected heavily around 6-7pm and then again at around 8-10pm... I assumed this was from possible exchange being overloaded with people getting on this time of night, these days it seems a little more erratic and even drops out constantly around 11pm.
    I've previously had iinet have a look whilst on the phone, with no change... they also sent out telstra/someone to look and test my connection etc.. found 'something' which they thought may affect things but said they resolved it... and yet the problem still exists.. I'm starting to get sick of calling iinet about it, and being so erratic, they can never seem to tell me whats going on.

I originally had my modem under my desk, it got quite warm at times when the drop out occurred, so I moved it.. its now on top and sits at a much cooler temp, however still getting these drops.
    It also seems to happen often when I'm playing games.. which is extremely annoying.

I know this question is very much in the same range as 'how long is a piece of string', however I thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any fixes that might help etc.

Otherwise I'll have to call iinet... again... and listen to them fuck around for 40mins or more on the phone to achieve nothing and then rinse and repeat for several days.

I'm with westnet (same as iinet) and have identical issues. I've given up trying to get a solution tbh.
    Don't have an answer for you but your not alone at least.

Comment

It is either one of two issues:

- your router is fucked
      - your line is fucked

iinet should be able to run some tests to determine whether or not the line is fucked (be patient, and humor the support guy with the random phone plug in test, etc., until they determine they need to send someone out, or conclude that you need to try another router). if the line isn't fucked, you may need a new router, they do overheat, and some are just plain crap.

Also, if you are using a DSL splitter/filter, try removing it, removing your phone (if you have one) and see if that helps. I had trouble here for a few months and it turns out that it was an inbuilt (in the roof) DSL splitter that was faulty. In a new house...

Good luck!

I've had a few internet problems resolve with both iinet and internode in the past few years, you just need to go through the motions with them and they will eventually sort it. you may need to borrow a friend's router if need be to do the router/swap test, not sure what happens if you say you don't have a spare...
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

if you're on Cable then it can be load affected, if not then block that from your mind.

Generally if it's affected at a certain like say neighbors coming home and using their wireless telephones and or microwaves (longshot as they dissipate quickly) and you're supplying your house wirelessly then that will cause dropouts.
        I get dropouts if my router has been online and downloading constantly for more than 4 days straight without a reboot.
        Just give that a bit of forthought and remember that turning off and on does as much as logging off the work comp...you need power it down for at least 5 minutes
        I think about sex every tits seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirkz View Post
          Hey guys,

Having some issues with my internet dropping out at random times.
          I've had the issue on going for about a year now. Seems to get worse in warmer weather.

It used to be affected heavily around 6-7pm and then again at around 8-10pm... I assumed this was from possible exchange being overloaded with people getting on this time of night, these days it seems a little more erratic and even drops out constantly around 11pm.
          I've previously had iinet have a look whilst on the phone, with no change... they also sent out telstra/someone to look and test my connection etc.. found 'something' which they thought may affect things but said they resolved it... and yet the problem still exists.. I'm starting to get sick of calling iinet about it, and being so erratic, they can never seem to tell me whats going on.

I originally had my modem under my desk, it got quite warm at times when the drop out occurred, so I moved it.. its now on top and sits at a much cooler temp, however still getting these drops.
          It also seems to happen often when I'm playing games.. which is extremely annoying.

I know this question is very much in the same range as 'how long is a piece of string', however I thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any fixes that might help etc.

Otherwise I'll have to call iinet... again... and listen to them fuck around for 40mins or more on the phone to achieve nothing and then rinse and repeat for several days.
          Assuming the isolation checks are done.

For the record; what is your connection type setting in the iiNet Toolbox. Is it the one marked unstable?

Comment

I funked around for days, isolated right to where the cable comes into the house. Rats had chewed the cable one time and the other problem was at the exchange.
            -

Comment

They should at least be able to tell where the problem is whether internal or external.

Anyway if you're not having any success with your ISP call the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman... Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman - TIO

I've used them twice with great results. ISP's really don't like them but shit happens once they're involved.

One thing I will say though before you do is be 100% sure it's not your equipment 1st. So try a different cable, modem/router and computer if you only have one. From what you've wrote it doesn't sound like it is that, but it's good to be sure.

Comment

What thro said, borrow someone elses modem...

Comment

I was with (Westnet) iiNet for years. They were really good for the first 8 years, but after iiNet took them over it went downhill. You couldn't stream 240K YouTube clips. I gave them a couple attempts to fix their congestion or routing issues, but nothing changed.

I fixed it myself by going to Telstra Cable. It hasn't been perfect, it is Telstra and they are totally incompetent, but at least its fast, and very stable.

Comment

I upgraded to a new modem earlier this year after having the issue with my old Billion that I'd had for 3-4yrs.
                    This one is an Asus, and immediately had the same issue. Also tried swapping out the line that goes from router to wall, with nil changes. I've had iinet change my speed settings in the toolbox to the slower/stable connections etc with no result.
                    I tried something random from a Youtube vid last night which seemed to work.. but then got another drop this morning.
                    There's no phone connected to the line, it's purely used for DSL (one of those 'naked' plan things too).

iiNet have always been pleasant to deal with, however I just get fucked off spending 45 mins or more on the phone to them so they can fuck around doing everything that the previous operator did, and then tell me to call back if I don't notice a change...

Nothing worse than having topping a leader board in BF4 with a good K/D ratio, only to drop out... *1st world problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Mirkz View Post
                      iiNet have always been pleasant to deal with, however I just get fucked off spending 45 mins or more on the phone to them so they can fuck around doing everything that the previous operator did, and then tell me to call back if I don't notice a change...
                      They have to go through the motions because most people are muppets, and it's usually something retarded the end user has done (I used to work in ISP support many many years ago - for every "ISP at fault" or "line problem" there's generally about 5-10 user self-inflicted problems to deal with).

Be aware that Telstra own the copper in the ground, so it's not actually the ISP's fault most of the time when you have a shitty connection.

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination, and until you can demonstrate that the common case, most easily fixed things have been checked off, then unfortunately you'll need to go through the motions - because if they get a tech out to check the cabling side of things it costs money unless it is actually Telstra's problem.

In the past 3 years I've had techs out 3 times to check things to diagnose problems. In addition to the splitter problem I had last time, I've also had a cable problem a few hundred metres up the street, and another issue where a linesman accidentally de-jumpered my service at the exchange (new estate).

It happens...
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Well, a bit of an update.

After testing another older modem I borrowed from a friend I play BF4 with (N150 Netgear), I was still getting regular drops.
                        So I called up iinet, and lodged a fault.
                        Guy from visionstream comes out and tests both sockets in the house (only 1 is used and that's to connect the modem to), he comments on how fast my speeds are here because I'm so close to the exchange. He said he couldn't find anything wrong and that my line here is working perfectly. He goes to test the exchange, and tells me I'd get a phone call to say when I can reconnect the modem. I call up 3hrs later to ask him if he's done because I've heard nothing. Says iiNet should've called me back, but that he is done and that there's nothing wrong from the exchange side of things. Says to call up iiNet as they'll tell me whats happening next.
                        Try to call them several times that afternoon and can't get through (keep getting disconnected after 4 seconds). So I crack shits and leave it for a day.
                        Next day I get a phone call from a girl I spoke to when I lodged the fault, she said she was keeping an eye on the progress and would inform me of any updates. Says they'll lodge an 'event', and the iinet engineers will look into it further.

About a week later (today), I get a phone call from her telling me that they've closed off the 'event' as the engineers or whatever have looked into it and believe it to be an internal problem (my end).
                        She didn't have much more to say than that other than 'let us know if you notice any changes' after basically saying they're dusting their hands of it and that I'll just have to try and find my own way to fix the problem.

So now I'm a bit pissed off.
                        I'm not sure if I should go and spend a couple hundred buying a new fancy modem to test out. If it worked, then no worries, but I don't want to have a $200 modem sitting here that is no fucking good to me because I get the same issue.
                        Another guy I game with (might even be on here actually), is adamant I try another modem and he's suggesting one of the Netgear N600's as he had an issue where his TS would disconnect all the time, but his internet wouldn't drop.
                        Said that after trying to troubleshoot it, he went and got a new modem and it's fixed the problem he was having completely.

Comment

The Non-NBN will fix all our problems.

Fuk, anyone just see that pig????

Comment

Temp borrow a good mates to test.

Comment

Or ACA. Attack their five star customer service rating!

Comment

Working...
                              X