best steak in perth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best steak in perth?

my sprog is about to turn 21 and I'd like to take him out for a steak. however, with him being a butcher and having a huge tattoo of a steak on his leg with the word "carnivore" scrolled across it the maccas of steakhouses (hogs breath) will not do.

So PSB brains trust; best steak in Perth is where?
    euphoric, ZRX1200R, XSR900, XR400

Ive been told Hippos Creek cooks up a mean piece of meat.

That or Char Char Grill.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

Char Char was impressive when I was there.
      Originally posted by Desmogod
      Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

NOT Hippo Creek either. Only went once and it was very average, in fact it was crap.

Pick a high end restaurant and hope for the best is all I can advise unless you can get to the Broken Hill Tavern (Broken Hill NSW) in 1983 where I had the best steak I have ever ordered at an establishment.

Usually find self cooked steaks on the BBQ are the best.

Swansea Street Market butcher sells Kimberley Rib Eye on the rib that are pretty awesome and come up to 40mm + thick.

I will be watching this thread for ideas also as I find it very hit and miss around town.
        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Char Char is consistently good. I've heard is good but not yet tried, The Trustee Bar and Bistro.
          The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Go the 'Tomahawk' at Swan Brewery...

Comment

I have'nt been here myself as yet, but would like to try Food | Rockpool
              Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo73 View Post
                Go the 'Tomahawk' at Swan Brewery...
                Ive heard the Tomahawk is a serious piece of meat.

Looks the goods to.
                A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

Depends which Hippo Creek - went to the one in Subiaco, and the 'missus and I had two beautiful different cuts of steak. The one at Waterford wasn't as good in comparison.

Bistro Felix in Subiaco was also very nice

Comment

best steak in perth?

Another one to say hippo creek was average for a steak. went to hillaries one and the steak I'm pretty sure had an ammonia bath before coming out... No color and little flavor.

I'm sure their specialty South African stuff is an experience but steaks...meh

Went to tony Roma's the other day too... Ok but nothing to write home about.

Honestly can't think of the best place in perth...
                    for passing your r-e test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-57420/
                    for passing your R class test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-97314/
                    for passing your intermediate excel training coarse see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...course-163460/

Comment

One of the better steaks I have had in recent memory was the Woodfired Rib-Eye down at Matilda Bay Brewery. A lovely, lovely piece of meat! The woodfiring added that nice subtle smoky flavour and the sides were also top notch. I nice dining experience and I would definitely love to get down there again.

Ate at Rockpool... Wasnt overly impressed with the steak for the price. Was ok, but just ok and when you are paying that kind of money, I think you should expect better than ok. I found the meat quite sinewy (sp?) & fatty. Similar at Hippo Creek. Its not bad, but I dont find it brilliant either and I think its as much about the 'dining experience' the place offers, than it is the meat.

Funnily enough, probably the best steak I remember tasting locally was down at the Inglewood Hotel, over a couple casual beers on a Sunday noon. Missus ordered Wagyu Rump (was about $30 from memory), but it was kind of sticky caramelised crispy on the outside and lovely and soft in the middle. For the cut and the price, it well and truly punched above it's weight but I dont expect that it would be served up that well regularly (if at all!).

Also heard some good things about the meat at Trustee, too.

As a side suggestion (I havent been there yet, but hope to), how about trying out Lapa in Subi? Brazilian BBQ styled meat in various cuts, served as much and as often as you can get through it. I reckon it sounds like fun, and would be pretty good value for a meat lover!

Comment

I've had great steak at 1907 restaurant on Queen st. They do a 500g rib eye ($55) that you could carve with a butter knife. There's plenty of fun to be had in the cocktail lounge downstairs as well.

Similar quality can be had at Stewart's restauraunt at Brookleigh winery in the Valley. Their fillet (300g, $40) is tops.
                        Originally posted by Desmo
                        Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty32 View Post
                          As a side suggestion (I havent been there yet, but hope to), how about trying out Lapa in Subi? Brazilian BBQ styled meat in various cuts, served as much and as often as you can get through it. I reckon it sounds like fun, and would be pretty good value for a meat lover!
                          Lapa is excellent; if you're a meat lover you should definitely give it a go. Have eaten at the Trustee numerous times and I'm yet to have a bad meal there. Rockpool and Old Swan Brewery are both very good but for the price you would expect them to be.

Comment

I've had some good steaks at the Elephant & Wheelbarrow; good value for money feed. I agree about the Rockpool - pretty average for what you pay, and the Inglewood Hotel - not bad at all.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

I have been pretty disappointed with most steaks around Perth, to the point I hardly order them anymore, esp when I can do a better job with a $7 piece of steak from Woolworths and 10-15min of cooking. I think a good steak pretty much comes down to how busy the chef is and what mood he is in, I have been to some places had a great steak there the first time, thought I would go back and it has been crap the second time.

FWIW I don't actually mind hogs breath, you are pretty much guaranteed to have an above average steak every time you go there, also probably the best $30 steak you can get around here.

There is a butcher out the back of midland doing aged steaks - it's about $65-70/kg and there is a 3-4 month waiting list last time I checked. Going to have to try that soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X