Malware in official software installers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malware in official software installers

Heads up. Most recent update of flash player for windows wants to install McAfee VirusScan plus. By default, when launched from the Auto Updater.

Haven't figured out how to prevent it yet, cancelled install as soon as I saw it downloading McAfee.

Beware!

Going to fire up a VM or something and figure out how to un-fuck the installer.

And yes, I class this sort of behavior as Malware.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm... looks like I auto clicked through without un-ticking to download McAfee.

Fucks sake....
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Just think how the 'average' computer user feels about this sort of shit if you're getting caught out.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
      Hmm... looks like I auto clicked through without un-ticking to download McAfee.

Fucks sake....
      I did the same... Its quite the hidden checkbox.

There are plenty of crappy install 'bundles' going on these days, but I found this one especially sneaky.

Comment

Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
        Just think how the 'average' computer user feels about this sort of shit if you're getting caught out.
        Pretty much. I swear I don't remember clicking through to page 2 of the installer process... but maybe I did.

And yes, the average user would have just clicked straight through and ended up with whatever shitware adobe are pedaling this week.

Also... it looks like the non-trojaned installer downloaded about 10x slower than the one that included McAfee for me....

Maybe that was due to not being in cache, maybe it's being a prick at Adobe's end. Who knows.

Also sneaky:

Note the file dates, and the file names. They set the name of the file that has mcafee to look like a second copy, even if you download it first. See how the one with (1) in it was downloaded FIRST? So that if you do what I did, and download it after realising you're about to get McAfee, you go into your download manager and click the copy with (1) thinking it is the newer download, but it's not.

(for those playing at home, the trojaned version of the download above has (1) in it. otherwise the file names are identical)

What cunts. No two ways about it.
        Last edited by thro; 26-11-2013, 09:14 AM.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I installed the lot, realised, then just uninstalled it through control panel. No dramas breh.

Pretty #firstworldproblems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentient View Post
            I installed the lot, realised, then just uninstalled it through control panel. No dramas breh.

Pretty #firstworldproblems.

Not entirely the point. They shouldn't be trying to slip un-wanted shitware onto their customer's machines.

Are you sure you got rid of all traces of it?

Comment

My computer is so diseased it would have uninstalled itself anyway.

I agree they are becoming very, very sneaky.

Comment

Missed the check box here too.
                Uninstalled all traces from my machine but you can never be sure when McAfee is involved.

Comment

I am less than the average puter user...so how do I go about uninstalling this little gem...and speak slowly
                  A site all parents should check regulary
                  http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                    blah blah blah flash player blah blah blah

And yes, I class this sort of behavior as Malware.
                    I think I see your problem
                    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I went through exactly the same dance last week.
                      '====
                      //`
                      -Magilla
                      They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
                      Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

I'm not a tec guru! Why do they do this??? What does this program do that is bad??

Comment

Why? Probably because McAfee gives them kickbacks for each install.

What's wrong with it? From a practical point of view, I already have an antivirus solution, and I don't want a second fighting with it, or taking up extra ram. From an ethical point of view, why is adobe foisting extra and unrequested software on an unsuspecting public?
                          '====
                          //`
                          -Magilla
                          They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
                          Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                            I think I see your problem
                            Oh of course, don't get me wrong - if youtube's HTML5 streaming was reliable, i'd ditch it in a second.

Comment

Sadly, I had to switch mine back after getting sick of Safari on the Mac being an utter dickhole and refusing to play the HTML5 plugin: only ever giving me the option of "Use original player".

"Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Working...
                              X