Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infuriating Windows problems (and hopefully fixes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infuriating Windows problems (and hopefully fixes)

As per title.

My current issue which prompted this thread, is this:

When I start an application on multi-screen work setup, I want the application to open on the monitor it was started from (Windows 8.1, two start screens, start buttons, etc.).

It would appear that due to sod's law, I'll be running an app (metro, classic or whatever) and every fucking time I fire up an app using the empty monitor's start button, the app fires up on the screen I am currently using with another application.

Yes, I know it is possibly/probably opening on the monitor it was last running on, but is it possible to force it to open on the monitor it was started from? Have looked for a reg-hack but can't seem to find...

OS X doesn't do this. Linux doesn't do this... it's infuriating...

The problem probably happens on 7 as well, or would if it had 2 start buttons/task bars to start things from.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Window position is saved on application exit. I believe there's a registry hack to change this.
    The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

Originally posted by BOFH View Post
      Window position is saved on application exit. I believe there's a registry hack to change this.
      That was my thinking. Google has come up empty for me so far though.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Regedit has a search function. Save a copy of your registry settings and go digging.

Comment

Originally posted by crowtribe View Post
          Regedit has a search function. Save a copy of your registry settings and go digging.
          There are also a shitload of registry options that are NOT in the registry by default. Have had a quick poke around and there's nothing immediately obvious.

Comment

I'll post the fix later, it goes back to Win95 & I haven't used it for years.
            The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

There's apparently a windowpos entry for every application, but that sounds like a lot of bs to set each one, especially if you want it to remember the position from a previous use. I'm not sure of your requirements, but you could always use that if it's going to be permanently used on the right screen/monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by crowtribe View Post
                There's apparently a windowpos entry for every application, but that sounds like a lot of bs to set each one, especially if you want it to remember the position from a previous use. I'm not sure of your requirements, but you could always use that if it's going to be permanently used on the right screen/monitor.
                What I want:

NO REMEMBERING of window position for future launches.

I have two monitors with 2 start buttons. I want the app to open on the monitor it is launched from. Not wherever it was running previously (over the top of whatever active application I am currently using).

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                  What I want:

NO REMEMBERING of window position for future launches.

I have two monitors with 2 start buttons. I want the app to open on the monitor it is launched from. Not wherever it was running previously (over the top of whatever active application I am currently using).
                  You could make the reg key read only?

Comment

From what I have been able to gather, some applications store this info themselves.

Its seriously a joke though.

I just right clicked start on my laptop display, and selected run from the menu. The run box popped up on my external display.

what
                    the
                    fuck

I think this is just going to end up in the too-hard basket.

edit:
                    ditto for remote desktop client. fire it up on laptop display. all good. connect to machine. it opens the new window on my external display. its crazy.
                    Last edited by thro; 11-12-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                      OS X doesn't do this. Linux doesn't do this...
                      A solution in the OP :p

Comment

Infuriating Windows problems (and hopefully fixes)

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                        A solution in the OP :p
                        Unfortunately management have stipulated a "no Byod" policy for the time being. Or id be using my MacBook.

(I'm working on it)

Comment

Had the same issue years ago (OS/2) and simply used a OS/2 background as a wallpaper

Comment

Not sure if your work will allow installation of 3rd party apps but Ultramon might be a solution, it may require some initial setup, but have a look at this thread and see if it can do what you want..

windows 7 - How can I force apps to open on the monitor that the icon is on? - Super User
                            In rod we trust.

Comment

Working...
                            X