Where to get large landscape prints.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get large landscape prints.

My wife is turning 30 and she is a huge fan of Peter Lik style Landscape photography. The main issue being that Peter Lik prints cost about $10000 dollars.

For those of you who have seen Liks work, the prints themselves are apparently printed on special paper, which when lit correctly glow in a way that makes them look like they are lit from behind the print, and when you dim the lights they fade like a sunset. Its very hard to explain unless you have seen them in person, but if you have you know exactly what I mean.

No doubt cheaper professional photographers are the way to go but can anyone recommend any? On our travels we have visited Mangelsen and Lik Galleries and she loves them both. I am also considering perth guys like Luke Austin.

So My questions.

1. Does anyone know any cheaper options to get large (4ft+) Landscape or nature prints.

2. Does anyone know the type of medium I want it printed on, aluminium? special type of photographic paper, Fuji Crystal?

3. Does anyone know of any awesome galleries in Perth that may have this sort of thing, but not just pics of the Rottnest Lighthose and the Busselton jetty?

[MENTION=5151]Brougham[/MENTION] do you do any of these forms of printing?
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Have you seen Christian Fletcher's stuff and do you like it?
    I may know a source for them.

Comment

The two are in completely different worlds.

Fletcher seems to churn out huge volumes of slightly better landscapes than an average chimp tourist with a cheap DSLR can manage and prints/frames it nicely.

Lik's work is something very, very special. When you consider the amount of time and prep that leads up to squeezing the trigger on a lot of his work, the price tag starts making some sense.
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I have a couple of Richards prints at home and he does a lot of local places.

Richard Smyth Wild Earth Images - Australian Landscape Photography

he is often at freo markets displaying and selling from there but also various places around perth. Might be worth a look

oh also a friend of mine does some pretty awesome stuff locally marcrussoamazingadventures | wow photography photo media news whale aboriginal holiday news scary rock art marc russo amazing western australia photography photo perth shark bay karratha kalbarri fishing adventure interesting perth australia beautifu

Comment

Yeah some of his stuff is amazing, Im just couldnt work out if he used the right sort of paper or not. He appears to have a gallery in Mandurah though so it could be worth checking out.
          My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Paul's work is really good: Paul Pichugin Fine Art Photography |

He lives down in Busso.
            "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
              The two are in completely different worlds.

Fletcher seems to churn out huge volumes of slightly better landscapes than an average chimp tourist with a cheap DSLR can manage and prints/frames it nicely.

Lik's work is something very, very special. When you consider the amount of time and prep that leads up to squeezing the trigger on a lot of his work, the price tag starts making some sense.
              Yeah but unfortunately the price makes sense in that same way that a buying a nice BMW versus a Ferrari makes sense.

At this stage Im happy to spend a fair amount but not Lik amounts. Plus Lik doesnt sell any of his stuff online so its hard to decide what you might even like unless you are lucky enough to be in the US.

Comment

Or Michael Breitung: Michael Breitung Photography
                "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

For slightly different perspective... some nice work shot from above via paramotor.

Gwen Velge

Can't really help you out as far as print materials/types though.

Comment

Originally posted by =Stevo= View Post
                    For slightly different perspective... some nice work shot from above via paramotor.

Gwen Velge

Can't really help you out as far as print materials/types though.
                    now those are cool!!!! I want some for my house

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Redfern View Post
                      1. Does anyone know any cheaper options to get large (4ft+) Landscape or nature prints.
                      buy stock photos and give them to me to print (getty, istock, shutterstock)

2. Does anyone know the type of medium I want it printed on, aluminium? special type of photographic paper, Fuji Crystal?
                      I'd say at a quick look he's using FujiFlex.

3. Does anyone know of any awesome galleries in Perth that may have this sort of thing, but not just pics of the Rottnest Lighthose and the Busselton jetty?
                      - Tony Hewitt does some amazing stuff.

Brougham
                      do you do any of these forms of printing?
                      Only a handful of places in australia do FujiFlex well. i don't recommend the local lab that does it, rather better using RGBDigital in Qld or The Edge in Melb. We can do a similar product, metallic based inkjet. Not quite as good, but similar and a LOT cheaper.

Christian is great (i have a 1.5 x 1.5m print of his in my own house), but Tony Hewitt, Peter Eastway and Les Walkling are even better. This is my CF print:

I'm quite into the aerial stuff ND5 are doing. if you can, get down to the Linton and Kay galleries in perth before Dec 31 to see their work. . I'm getting my hands on a Tony Hewitt soon, also hopefully in the 1.5m size. This one:

Comment

There's a place on Scarborough Beach Road Mount Hawthorn.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post

Only a handful of places in australia do FujiFlex well. i don't recommend the local lab that does it, rather better using RGBDigital in Qld or The Edge in Melb. We can do a similar product, metallic based inkjet. Not quite as good, but similar and a LOT cheaper.
                          [/img]
                          Thanks Bro'ugham Does the metallic Inkjet paper have the same effect of making the image look backlit?

If I wanted something that was about 1500x600 what should I estimate for cost and do you guys do Mounting of any kind?

Also what would be the size and quality considerations when searching for a digital file?

Comment

Metallic paper gives it a beautiful sheen and yes, bright colours make it look all glowy and shizzle - it's expensive but it's worth it for many prints, especially dark ones I find..

Another thing to consider is: random artwork may look pretty, but something with personal significance will really make an impression.

1. Find out her special spot.
                            2. Commission a good amateur photographer or someone who's just gone pro and is still hungry enough to do the work for the experience and expenses to take an amazing awesome photo of that spot.
                            3. Get Brougham to print it.

Or make a competition of 2, prize being what you're willing to pay for a commercial print less the costs of printing and mounting the final image.

Either way: Redfern's lovey dovey awesome handsome husband status will reach +10 epic.
                            Last edited by Captain Starfish; 18-12-2013, 01:08 PM.
                            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                              Metallic paper gives it a beautiful sheen and yes, bright colours make it look all glowy and shit.

Another thing to consider is: random artwork may look pretty, but something with personal significance will really make an impression.

1. Find out her special spot.
                              2. Commission a good amateur photographer or someone who's just gone pro and is still hungry enough to do the work for the experience and expenses to take an amazing awesome photo of that spot.
                              3. Get Brougham to print it.

Or make a competition of 2, prize being what you're willing to pay for a commercial print less the costs of printing and mounting the final image.

Either way: Redfern's lovey dovey awesome handsome husband status will reach +10 epic.
                              What Im actually trying to do is get Photos of places we have traveled to, I proposed at Lake Louise so that is a given, but its a tricky one as its not overly photographic unless you take a square shot, but Im trying to get Horizontal and vertical pano prints.

Other places we have been are Grand Tetons, Jasper, Honymoon in Malaysia, Grand and Bryce Canyon. So if I can get some stock images of those and get Bro' to print them up I would prefer to do that then get a random photographers shots. Also I wouldnt mind getting her a big one of our wedding as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X