Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best software for editing drawings/photo's

Hey all,

Not sure how many artists etc are amongst PSB (I know there are a lot of photographers though), so I thought I'd ask.

I'm trying to get back into my drawing a little, and years ago I used to scan things onto my PC that I used to draw and then colour them/touch up etc.
    I used to use Photoshop back in the day, but I'm not sure if that is still THE program to use for this sort of thing, or if there's something easier/better.
    There also looks like there's half a dozen photoshop programs these days as well.

So my question is, what is the best software people use these days for editing/colouring drawings/artwork, with maybe something that can edit photo's too (as whilst I'm not HUGE into photography, I do have an alright camera and would sometimes like to edit an image etc). I don't want to fork out big dollars if I don't have to, and I don't want to pay for something that isn't suitable for my needs.

Thanks!

I've always used Photoshop for editing.
    Lightroom or Bridge for workflow (photos).

Has done well by me for the past decade.

Comment

This is good, despite it appearing as though it's a niche product: Manga Studio - Official Website

And I also think that this is excellent: ArtRage - Natural Painting Software

If you want to go with Adobe, I think Illustrator would be a better option that Photoshop.
      "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

touching up, editing, etc. photoshop is still king.

drawing from scratch (especially line drawings) illustrator is what you're after.

i'm a noob in illustrator so i'll draw in that and then jump into photoshop for colour.

Comment

Can you not buy a one off package of photoshop/illustrator anymore?
          All I can see is this subscription bullshit of monthly payments?

Manga Studio looked interesting, however I want to purchase and download, not purchase a physical.

Comment

I downloaded Manga Studio - unless they recently changed it.
            "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Hmm, I can only seem to find a physical copy option there :/

Edit: It actually says they've discontinued the Mangastudio 5 digital version. Can still pick up 4, but I think I'd prefer the latter.
              Last edited by Mirkz; 22-12-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Free? Paint.Net. Good good plugins and can open and edit Photoshop etc..

Comment

Lightroom is the only non-subscription based Adobe product these days (and only because of Apple's Aperture pricing change)

There are many more specific pixel-editing platforms out there so I would suggest downloading as many demos as you can and seeing what works for you.

If they don't provide a demo, it is probably crap.

Most of my photo editing is via Lightroom, and basic old PS Elements for anything more selective. But I don't usually like to spend time editing.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
                    Got my graphics tablet back from my bro today and set it up etc.
                    He also had a copy of CS6 I could use for the moment.
                    Might look into some of the others though.
                    That Manga one in particular looks very interesting to me.

Now just to get used to using the damned tablet :/

Comment

Working...
                    X