Any PHP config experts in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any PHP config experts in the house?

I'm trying to upload a couple of files to my new web site, using the internal CMS' file manager. I've receive the error message:

An unknown error occurred while uploading the file. Please check that file uploads are enabled, and that your file does not exceed the size of the post_max_size or upload_max_filesize variables.

File Uploads: 1
    Max Upload File Size: 64M
    Post Max Size: 8M
    I've changed the upload_max_filesize and post_max_size settings to 128M each in the php.ini file, but it doesn't make any difference.

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone has any more ideas.
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

PHP uploading can be an utter something something. Especially if you're on a cheap hosted server.

Usually slick PHP uploading with progress metering and all that jazz needs a plugin, IIRC there are two different ones kicking around and a lot of cheap hosts don't support either.

If you run your php info function, what does it say about upload config?
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

upload_max_filesize is set to 64M, and the file I want to upload is a lot smaller than that.
      "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Nah, I mean create a new index.php file (back up the old one)

Throw this in it:
        <?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
        phpinfo();

// Show just the module information.
        // phpinfo(8) yields identical results.
        phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);

?>

What does it say about uploads?
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

file_uploads are on
          max_file_uploads = 20
          upload_max_filesize = 64M
          upload_tmp_dir has no value

That's all I can see.

Comment

Captain Obvious suggests assigning a temp directory for uploads just to eliminate the dumb options.

Comment

I already tried that by changing the php.ini file, but it won't recognise the change. I wonder if the host has it locked down somehow.

I'll try again, just in case.

Comment

Hmmm

When I hit this kind of shit with both JustHost and GoDaddy, I started searches on goggle like <hosting service name> php upload.

Got heaps of hits from forums and tech support explaining the peculiarities of their hosting rules etc.

Comment

I might just cut to the chase and ask the host. I was with Bluehost, but they were abominable, so I switched to an Oz host. Fingers crossed that they're feeling friendly.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I'm with Quadra Hosting and I run 7 php sites without any issue...

Cheers

Oiler

Comment

Probably completely irrelevant but we have our PHPBB server configured thusly and have no problem uploading very large diagnostic images:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
                      ; File Uploads ;
                      ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Whether to allow HTTP file uploads.
                      file_uploads = On

; Temporary directory for HTTP uploaded files (will use system default if not
                      ; specified).
                      upload_tmp_dir = /tmp

; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
                      upload_max_filesize = 10M
                      post_max_size = 20M

; Maximum number of files that can be uploaded via a single request
                      max_file_uploads = 20
                      -

Comment

Thanks agrid.

Comment

Let us know how you get on. This shit should just work but so often turns into a painful mess.

Comment

Yep, I will.

Comment

Umm... i cant remember (its been a while), but if you're running mod_php in apache, you may need to re-start the apache service for it to take effect?
                              Last edited by thro; 19-01-2014, 01:56 PM.
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X