X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How I Lost My $50,000 Twitter Username"

https://medium.com/p/24eb09e026dd

My $50,000 Twitter Username Was Stolen Thanks to PayPal and GoDaddy
    I had a rare Twitter username, @N. Yep, just one letter. I’ve been offered as much as $50,000 for it. People have tried to steal it. Password reset instructions are a regular sight in my email inbox. As of today, I no longer control @N. I was extorted into giving it up.
    GoDaddy Admits Hacker’s Social Engineering Led It To Divulge Info In @N Twitter Account Hack | TechCrunch

GoDaddy Chief Information Security Office Todd Redfoot issued TechCrunch the following statement about the hack:
    Our review of the situation reveals that the hacker was already in possession of a large portion of the customer information needed to access the account at the time he contacted GoDaddy. The hacker then socially engineered an employee to provide the remaining information needed to access the customer account. The customer has since regained full access to his GoDaddy account, and we are working with industry partners to help restore services from other providers.

I don't get it... if your username is @n or @dickhead or @virginmary does it really matter? What gives it value? I thought it was more about the amount of followers someone had which made their account more lucrative...

Comment

wow. long past the time I should have a clean up of my own.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Wonder what @home or @work etc go for?

Comment

Originally posted by black500r View Post
          I don't get it... if your username is @n or @dickhead or @virginmary does it really matter? What gives it value? I thought it was more about the amount of followers someone had which made their account more lucrative...
          The article isn't so much about Twitter, the username is just what made him a target. The main issue is that with some poking around and a few phonecalls, the hacker was given control of all of his accounts. *Given* control by the companies that hold all of your info...

Comment

Wonder if it ever gets to the old fashioned Mexican methods. Masked men enter your home stick gun to head, get you to log in, they change deets, shoot your computer and leave? "Hey Gringo, we really want your Twitter username. Be a good boy and hand it over or we carve you up real good asshole!"
            Originally posted by Abuse this
            Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mekon View Post
              Wonder if it ever gets to the old fashioned Mexican methods. Masked men enter your home stick gun to head, get you to log in, they change deets, shoot your computer and leave? "Hey Gringo, we really want your Twitter username. Be a good boy and hand it over or we carve you up real good asshole!"
              Is it wrong that I read this with a Mexican accent in my head?
              Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by mekon View Post
                First thing sprung to mind - Savages movie scene where the Mexican cartel dressed as gardeners go to the lawyers house, sadly can t find a clip to post

according to Godaddy apparently the hackers "socially engineered" an employee

IT speak for "actually spoke to someone" ??
                I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Why can't Twitter now either permaban @N or return it to the rightful owner?

They know what was stolen, who it was stolen from and presumably who stole it - can't be that hard surely?
                  It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
                    Is it wrong that I read this with a Mexican accent in my head?
                    Nope, exactly right hombre.

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                    First thing sprung to mind - Savages movie scene where the Mexican cartel dressed as gardeners go to the lawyers house, sadly can t find a clip to post

according to Godaddy apparently the hackers "socially engineered" an employee

IT speak for "actually spoke to someone" ??
                    Yep, thought of same movie.
                    Originally posted by Abuse this
                    Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Working...
                    X