X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this type of work illegal?

Hi : )

In short, example:

I have 4 friends, i visit each one of them once a week to maintain their gardens, they give me cash and i go home once the job is finished.
    Each week i visit same friends, we all know each other well.
    No ABN/paperwork etc as its not a business, just a hobby of mine people pay me for.

Would this be considered illegal in government point of view, if so why?

Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth!!
    Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

Only if you don't pay tax on the money, but I won't tell if you don't..

Comment

If your not paying tax it's tax evasion, if you're collecting any welfare it's fraud, if you keep it to yourself it's fine by me.

Comment

I think from memory you can earn up to $75k a year for a hobby before GST reporting etc is required, otherwise income tax starts at the lowest rate after about $100 a week

It might be illegal, it might not, all depends on the numbers and who is looking at them.

First rule of fight club?
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Its Pocket money for doing jobs
          What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Originally posted by PolishBiker View Post
            Hi : )

In short, example:

I have 4 friends, i visit each one of them once a week to maintain their gardens, they give me cash and i go home once the job is finished.
            Each week i visit same friends, we all know each other well.
            No ABN/paperwork etc as its not a business, just a hobby of mine people pay me for.

Would this be considered illegal in government point of view, if so why?

Yes, it is illegal. Not at all illegal to do the work, but illegal not to state that you received the income as income on your tax return resulting in an increase in your taxable income. This of course means paying your fair share of tax on it at your marginal tax rate which of course would take into account the tax free threshold etc. So depending on the amount you receive, and income from other sources, and your deductions that you could claim for travel costs to the job, consumables etc, you may not have to pay tax at all.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Do you want a 5th friend?^_^
              “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

6th friend?

Can't believe your even asking... But hey everyones ethics are different.
                Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Thank you all for the answers : )
                  Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

Comment

Sounds like 'bobajob' to me.

Comment

What sort of gardens?

Comment

Originally posted by dadwantsafyabl4de2 View Post
                        What sort of gardens?
                        He just waters and cultivates their pot plants.
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

He trims the 'pot plants' and the friends pay HIM?! Wow, well played.

Comment

What price per ounce do your friends sell their gardens for?
                            One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Actually, so if i was to make such example perfectly legal would i simply add total annual income from such gardening to the "other income" while doing my tax return?
                              Would it be as simple as that without having to worry about getting ABN etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X