Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass supply in Perth?

Hey all.

My 3D printer has a 300mm diameter, 3mm thick sheet of Borosilicate (original Pyrex) glass it uses as the bed.

Even though the bed is heated to 95؛ there are often problems with print jobs shrinking as they cool during the build resulting in corners lifting off the glass. This is usually countered by preparing the bed glass with hairspray, glue stick or a goop made by dissolving ABS in acetone - this latter is my preferred method when I'm doing ABS prints.

As the bed cools down at the end of the job, the ABS of the print job also cools and shrinks as it does so. Physics. Usually this results in the job simply popping off the bed but, unfortunately, this time the goop held on too hard and it tore two great ruddy chunks out of the glass.

Printing has stopped until I can replace the glass.

Do you think I can find a supplier of cut borosilicate in Perth? Not so far. The printer manufacturer has suggested getting 300mm dia x 3mm mirror glass cut instead but the glaziers I've spoken to only know of 4mm mirror glass and if it shatters again I have horrific visions of shards of glass flying everywhere unless it's toughened etc.

I dunno.

Chasing boro for the moment, just to get me up and running again. But if anyone online knows the dealio and can offer some advice on selection and source for something appropriate I'd sure appreciate it.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Turn the glass upside down?
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

try graphic glass malaga, get a price pm me and ill see if my dad can get it from there cheaper
      "Insert signature here"

Comment

Hey fish maybe a Old microwave oven dish ?

Comment

Originally posted by rharris View Post
          Hey fish maybe a Old microwave oven dish ?
          Or maybe one of the microwave base plate things? They must be made of a similar material?

Comment

Why mirror can't it just be 3mm float, still not very strong. if you want it toughened then it will need to be a minimum thickness of 4mm
            Clear glass will be cheaper than mirror.
            If you like I can get a trade price for you just give me the size.
            Even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day

Comment

Glasslite?
              Glasslite Pty Ltd - Borosilicate Sheet Glass
              wait, you said Perth. I was thinking Australia. Don't mind me.

Comment

[MENTION=16944]darkfibre[/MENTION] that's exactly what I'll be doing whilst I wait for the replacement but, now that it's weakened, I'm pretty much expecting assplosion next time I use it.

Nice thinking on the microwave plates guys, unfortunately due to the way it all hangs together has to be dead flat sheet.

[MENTION=12817]180[/MENTION] mirror's silver backing improves the thermal transfer characteristics for a more even warm up and cool down, apparently. The printer mfr said "both mirror and boro are equally as likely to fracture again, just that mirror warms up a little more evenly and doesn't cost as much when it needs replacing again".

The only thing I'd be concerned about is how mirror glass splinters as opposed to the nice clean chunks that tend to come off the boro.

[MENTION=12817]180[/MENTION] - Would you mind posting (or PMing) me a price for one 30cm circle of 4mm toughened glass and, if it helps the price, for maybe 5 of 'em? Thanks for your offer.

I'll give Graphic Glass a hoy tomorrow, thanks [MENTION=40798]Kizzer[/MENTION], and see what they have too.

If anyone knows of a borosilicate supply in Perth that would be swell, too!
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Will pm the price tomorrow for you
                  Even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day

Comment

[MENTION=7507]jonnyking[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                      [MENTION=12817]180[/MENTION] - Would you mind posting (or PMing) me a price for one 30cm circle of 4mm toughened glass and, if it helps the price, for maybe 5 of 'em?
                      Because if you but 5, you'll never break another one?
                      Is it worth going for thicker glass and is this a common issue?

Comment

does it not sound to me like there's a fault with the printer design if producing 3D prints damages the glass that came with the printer?

Comment

It's a common issue and it's one reason the sheets are clipped down.

From what I'm reading, the boro is good but the goo is sticky and mongs like me scratch it up trying to remove parts - those scratches in the surface are enough of an imperfection for it to let go.

When the new glass goes on I'm going to try using glue stick instead of the abs juice. It doesn't hold anywhere near as hard, which is great for the glass and getting the parts off at the end, and I've not tried the glue sticks since I properly calibrated the heatbed and head so it might be enough now.

Failing that, I'll look at printing onto Kapton tape which is sitting on the glass. A pain in the bum but it will save the glass.

Finally found a joint over east that does exactly what I want, just waiting now for the quote. :pucker:

Comment

Without knowing the kind of temperatures you're hitting here, could you not put something on the glass to protect it when you scrape parts off?

Perhaps stone chip film they use on cars or book covering contact.
                            In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Yeah, only up to 100؛ or so.

Kapton tape is often used to get around this but it isn't cheap and there's the embuggeration of two more steps (application and removal) with drying time then added to every print job.

Meh.

$40 a sheet from over east if I buy five, $100 for one. More than I wanted to spend, not that much more than local toughened glass but enough to make me umm and ahhh about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X