Opinions wanted--video editing hardware needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted--video editing hardware needs

Talking to a control systems engineer friend, asked whether you really needed a quality gaming graphics card for fast clean video editing. He said no, it's all number crunching, just a fast processor and plenty of RAM. Differing opinion from a computer builder, says you really need a topend gaming card to make it really work, as well as fast processor and plenty of RAM. is the builder trying to sell me something I don't really need? Current i5 2.6ghz processor and 4 meg of ram is slow, and can get the stutters, and even hang up.
    " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

It also comes down to which editing software you use - some are using more resources than others.
    If you want to see live effects whilst editing, massive computing power is necessary. Also, if you want to achieve fast de- or encoding of video material. If you work on uncompressed material, a fast hard drive (or even a raid0) can help significantly.

I myself only use video-editing occasional on my 2008 macbook pro with a 2.88 GhZ Intel Core Duo and 8GB ram and whatever standard video card is in there. I use I-movie and only found above mentioned things may slow you down a bit.

Good luck finding the right system for your requirements.

Comment

You want opinions? Really? - What makes you think there are opinions on PSB? (I certainly haven't seen any on here...)

On a more serious note:
      What the sales dude is trying to get at is when processing video - often its best to use a dedicated tool.
      Most video cards nowdays have fairly complex GPUs (Graphics processing units)... and of course the high end video cards have high end processors.

If the video editing software can make use of the hardware acceleration available on a GPU, there are things that it will do faster.
      Often this includes video encoding or decoding - but can include things like applying filters and effects in real time.

At the end of the day, there are a number of potential bottlenecks that will restrict over all performance - a SSD (solid state hard drive) setup up to handle the windows(?) scratch drive, will probably make a significant difference too since its probably all being stored/saved outside of RAM, even while you are working on it.

I'd read up on the software manual (or google some support/enthusiast forums) and find out what graphics cards (if any) it uses for hardware acceleration advantages ...

...plus remember the sales dude is usually only interested in selling you the most expensive stuff.... And having hung out lots and worked in a computer store in the past... often the sales dudes can talk a lot of crap, without knowing very much!

Comment

CPU and a fuckload of memory. Having said that having a good GPU won't hurt depending on what software you are using.

You'll need 64 bit version of windows to use more than 4GB RAM (I'm guessing you don't have 4mb otherwise you'd be lucky to run DOS)

Comment

As others have said modern graphics cards are typically good at 3D (gaming etc) and really make no difference, or very little, at 3D linear editing. For that get more RAM, beefy CPU and SSD's.

Comment

Originally posted by rnelson955 View Post
            CPU and a fuckload of memory. Having said that having a good GPU won't hurt depending on what software you are using.

You'll need 64 bit version of windows to use more than 4GB RAM (I'm guessing you don't have 4mb otherwise you'd be lucky to run DOS)
            Doh! (of course I meant G. And i'm only running 32-bit, so I can't do anything with existing machine in that respect. Thanks for the guidance, all, sort of confirms what I was thinking.
            " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

Working...
            X