X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -JC-
    replied
    I'm not too sure about DHA leases on existing properties. I bought a DHA property with a lease in place. 7 year lease plus 3x 1 year extension options. The lease is part of the sale with lease lodged as a caveat against the property title.
    Rent is at market rate and reviewed annually. The DHA management fee is just over double what a private agent charges, but they cover all maintenance costs. We just get a list of any maintenance done and the same consistent rent each month. You lease to DHA who sublet to tenant. So you always get rent, even if tenant doesn't pay or property vacant.
    I also have a privately rented property. The DHA property is way easier and low risk. The private property has a higher weekly return, but greater risk.
    DHA will paint and recarpet house at end of lease. I doubt that it will be high end paint and carpet.
    Due to the lease security there is demand for purchasing DHA properties which i suspect pushes up the purchase price.
    Having said all that we did receive a notification last year that they doing and independent review to see if the existing system represents value for money for DHA.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Para045
    replied
    I believe also the leases are longer and harder to get out of if you suddenly decided you wanted to sell the house/unit etc as well as being lower rents than what may be available commercially

Leave a comment:

• ReCon
    replied
    Originally posted by Aussie Lass View Post
    Would anyone in this thread know anything about leasing my property to Defense Housing?

to cut a long story short, me and my partner brought a house back in September, a little "lock and leave" unit in Nollamara. 6 months later he decides to split.
    In those 6 months because of the market we would lose quite a bit of money if we sold now if you include advertising and real estate fees and all that crap. We have split loans, so i have the option to buy his half out and keep it for myself, however due to being a full time student it would be a struggle to maintain that ( i could rent it out but i havent gone down the Math/calculations pathway for that). If i rent it out I would be scared of not being able to get tenants and then having to pay a mortgage I cant afford.

i was looking into defense force housing, because thier website claims permanent rent and 6 year leases, property mangement and a full restoration before handing it back to me.
    But you know, that when something seems to good to be true it is..... so whats the catch?
    I know a leeetle bit about DHA.

Give them a call.

They will then tell you which area is required and what sort of house/abode.
    They have a list of general duties crew and then officers accomodation. Each is different. ( family , single , officer, ect) and each has required prerequisites.

You might need to do certain things to your pad in order to make it habitable for each party. ( pools, HWS, bedrooms ,ect. )
    Each is different.

If you are in the right area, a unit might be a required abode and will be a financial bonus for you, if you can reach an agreement.
    Rents ARE negotiated and are matched to the CPI, ect. Often it is less than market, but a better financial decision for you with luck

They do repair damage and the offending soldier gets their arse kicked and are the ones who pay the forces back. It's in their best interest to look after your property.

Inspections are harder the normal rentals, especially when they are transferred and vacate the lease...

Leave a comment:

• Halo_2
    replied
    Defence housing pay f*ck all and f*ck all to upkeep them.

I use to do electrical maintenance for them

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Lass
    replied
    Would anyone in this thread know anything about leasing my property to Defense Housing?

to cut a long story short, me and my partner brought a house back in September, a little "lock and leave" unit in Nollamara. 6 months later he decides to split.
    In those 6 months because of the market we would lose quite a bit of money if we sold now if you include advertising and real estate fees and all that crap. We have split loans, so i have the option to buy his half out and keep it for myself, however due to being a full time student it would be a struggle to maintain that ( i could rent it out but i havent gone down the Math/calculations pathway for that). If i rent it out I would be scared of not being able to get tenants and then having to pay a mortgage I cant afford.

i was looking into defense force housing, because thier website claims permanent rent and 6 year leases, property mangement and a full restoration before handing it back to me.
    But you know, that when something seems to good to be true it is..... so whats the catch?

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    Burst the bubble, that'll bring 'em down.

Leave a comment:

• datsikk
    replied
    Originally posted by SomeBloke View Post

Food for thought...
    Once again, the baby boomers getting a (another) leg up.

and if you have a look at about July 2000 you will see the beginning of the rise. Guess what the Howard government did then to "HELP" people buy a home?

Hey, lets allow young people to use their super for a mortgage. That will bring prices down!

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    Originally posted by GsxInShed View Post
    2013-14-15 Investor bump directly related to SMSF changes re; Investment properties..?
    That was back a bit further than that from memory.

Leave a comment:

• GsxInShed
    replied
    Originally posted by SomeBloke View Post

Food for thought...
    2013-14-15 Investor bump directly related to SMSF changes re; Investment properties..?

annuallised Million $ debt... I see it now..ok.

Leave a comment:

• AZAZL
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
    It was saying doing it privately but it's not as if managers check everything out and a bypassed meter you wouldn't even know.
    I certainly understand it as chew pointed out. Corruption is corrupt. Professionally vetting prospective tenants and regular inspections is the key. But yeah, there always is that 1%er chance that the owner gets screwed.

Leave a comment:

• Halo_2
    replied
    Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
    You wont get that if you use a half decent manager.
    It was saying doing it privately but it's not as if managers check everything out and a bypassed meter you wouldn't even know.

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    Albeit a bit skewed by Sydney and Melbourne.

Leave a comment:

• SomeBloke
    replied
    [MENTION=5686]chew[/MENTION]
    Its from an article by the Australian, http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...63c4ead7f41086 graph is titled housing finance, so I'm assuming it is $ borrowed.

The article is a good read and pretty well balanced at quick glance.

Another interesting graph from the article below...

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    The latest craze for renting a property is use a fake name and turn it into a drug manufacturer house, they bypass the elec meter (bullshit easy to do) and the owner is slapped with a bill from synergy estimating non metered use.
    Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
    Yep, because a half decent manager would not accept a $5k cash payment/per property to pull a swifty he cannot get done for.

Leave a comment:

• AZAZL
    replied
    The latest craze for renting a property is use a fake name and turn it into a drug manufacturer house, they bypass the elec meter (bullshit easy to do) and the owner is slapped with a bill from synergy estimating non metered use.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X