Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back-friendly exercise/sport

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Back-friendly exercise/sport

    What you got for me PSB peanut gallery?

    After a couple of years of Muay Thai, my back can't handle it anymore. The impact of round kicks and top-lock just don't do my poor old back any favours. I ruined it during my trade and it limits the things I can do these days. Slow jogs are ok, surfing/swimming works. Yoga I used to enjoy but doesn't really help muscle mass/fat management.

    I need something to do 2/3 times a week, not susceptible to weather, to keep myself in shape and for some mental down-time after/during/prior to work. Budget up to $150 a month as this is what Muay Thai was costing me. Preferably before or after a 9-5 job.

  • #2
    Join a gym?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

    Comment


    • #3
      That is my last resort. I find it a bit boring after a while. I want something that appeals to my competitive nature ideally.

      Comment


      • #4
        Check out what they have on at a local rec centre? maybe sign up for 2-3 teams to get the amount of workout you require. Also tennis or squash might fit the bill.

        Beyond that I would suggest cycling, costs a bit to setup, but once that is done the rest is pretty cheap/ free. Its not weather retricted if you can put up with riding in the rain! Chances are the motion could improve your back too (if you take the time to stretch before and after rides and warm up properly when you start riding) It did for mine.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by boeman View Post
          That is my last resort. I find it a bit boring after a while. I want something that appeals to my competitive nature ideally.
          Work out with a training partner. I find myself lifting more with someone to train with even if they can't lift as much.
          If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SilentBob View Post
            Work out with a training partner. I find myself lifting more with someone to train with even if they can't lift as much.
            How's your training partner going Daddy Bob? [emoji23]
            Rest in Peace
            Brother Ryad

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SilentBob View Post
              Work out with a training partner. I find myself lifting more with someone to train with even if they can't lift as much.
              I think that will be the issue. If i end up back at the gym it will be in my lunchbreak each day in Osborne Park, so really whittles down possible training partners.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DQ View Post
                How's your training partner going Daddy Bob? [emoji23]
                Currently I have my coworker joining me. So I'm not TOTALLY alone... /cry
                If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Rollerskating.

                  Indoor. Low impact on your knees. Social. Competitive if you join roller derby. Great cardio. Tough competition too.

                  www.perthmensderby.com.au

                  I play derby and roller hockey (indoor and outdoor), netball, cycle and go to the gym. Cycling depends upon the weather and netball leaves people prone to injuries.
                  Click Link for My Bikes:

                  Aprilia RS250
                  1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Swimming for sure. Great cardio and works the whole body. Have you looked at a membership at Beatty Park or similar?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by boeman View Post
                      I ruined it during my trade and it limits the things I can do these days.
                      What exactly did you ruin?

                      Unless you've got a serious chronic injury or disease, resting your back won't do it any favours.

                      Kind Regards,

                      Internet Advice Dr Maxo.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                        What exactly did you ruin?

                        Unless you've got a serious chronic injury or disease, resting your back won't do it any favours.

                        Kind Regards,

                        Internet Advice Dr Maxo.
                        ^^^ This +1, injured my back at work about 20yrs ago, now I simply have to keep exercising or it freezes up, if I miss a couple of weeks and it plays up I am in agony.

                        In Boemans defence I doubt he meant resting completely, he's much to young to be that lazy!! Just pick your exercise, I do boxing, as well as crossfit type circuits 3 times a week and just substitute out the stations I can't do. Like double or jumping squats instead of burpees, champion sit ups with a kettle bell instead of rotating crunches etc. A good trainer will help you out so your not missing out and stressing your back.
                        Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

                        "The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                          What exactly did you ruin?

                          Unless you've got a serious chronic injury or disease, resting your back won't do it any favours.

                          Kind Regards,

                          Internet Advice Dr Maxo.
                          Herniated disc in the lumbar, which in turn has led to some nice arthritis.

                          I don't rest it, I surf and lightly jog/brisk walk every single day. I just like having something extra in there as surfing is dictated by the weather and jogging/walking doesn't achieve much other than exercising my dog.

                          Anything twisting/impact seems to hurt the most. Surfing I somehow get away with, I presume since it is my longest standing sport and have the muscle strength to cope with it? Who knows, but it helps with core strength which helps my posture which helps my back which helps with my chronic whinging.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            [MENTION=38514]DailyBanana[/MENTION] has just started indoor beach volleyball in ossie park. he cant get enough of it. He has a terrible back
                            Originally posted by DailyBanana
                            That little girl likes her pizza more than you like people

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by boeman View Post
                              Herniated disc in the lumbar, which in turn has led to some nice arthritis.

                              I don't rest it, I surf and lightly jog/brisk walk every single day. I just like having something extra in there as surfing is dictated by the weather and jogging/walking doesn't achieve much other than exercising my dog.

                              Anything twisting/impact seems to hurt the most. Surfing I somehow get away with, I presume since it is my longest standing sport and have the muscle strength to cope with it? Who knows, but it helps with core strength which helps my posture which helps my back which helps with my chronic whinging.
                              Tried hanging / spinal decompression?

                              See i'd recommend weights (deadlifting, etc), but you're honestly going to be better off doing something you like for exercise, but mixing in remedial shit where you can.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X