Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a few acres, living in a shed and having a few mates over... Wise heads needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a few American barn style homes about. Maybe have a look into those ones. The other option is to buy an established small farm. Why the shed? Why not buy a 3x1 with a few sheds and acreage around Manjimup?
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by GETAGRIP View Post
      It was really frustrating when I was going through the process, I had hope about a company out at Bullsbrook but they had closed down. I can't say I tried them all, but I did try 90% of the Perth shed builders and none could (or would) do a 1A shed under their builders license.

Ask a few round here and they would have said worse about my skills in this area. It's a lot easier than you think if you have the right tools as it sounds like you do. I can vouch for how intimidating it feels though, and the feeling of maybe biting off more than you can chew. But a couple of mates to help out when you need another set of hands and it all comes together over time. If you are anything like me, by the end I wanted to build the first walls again so I could do them better!

You would have to check with your bank, but my lender was 95% if just buying the block or 60% on my owner build. The 95% was a better deal so financed the land and built the house paying cash.

No problems at all, more than welcome to have a look inside, no point looking from the outside, it just looks like a shed! Will PM you soonish when I am free and you can come round for a look and poke and we can discuss over a beer or two. There is a lot you will want to talk about I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Thanks heaps for the pm Nick and much appreciated for the budget that you also had the good heart to compile for us.
      It makes A LOT of difference and gets us started in a forward direction, where before we were kind of running around in circles..

Kudos to a very decent bloke! 👍

Originally posted by Stephan View Post
      There's a few American barn style homes about. Maybe have a look into those ones. The other option is to buy an established small farm. Why the shed? Why not buy a 3x1 with a few sheds and acreage around Manjimup?
      All cards are on the table [MENTION=6767]Stephan[/MENTION].

My first thoughts were price point only, but as our eyes get opened up on this, the more we will look at all types of abode.

Being in the one house since we bought 22 years ago and had no intention to move until relatively recently, we are pretty well open to any and all ideas.
      Seeing a few shed homes does seem to tickle our fancy atm, so if a small farmlet did arise then it's all systems go. ( money requirements met)

Bridgey is about as far South as we are looking at present , ONLY due to proximity to a major hospital. If an absolute gem of a block comes up around there, then will just have to die 50 k's further south! 😉

Once I'm dead though the fam are free to go live wherever they feel is the best place for their new life..
      Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

I would look for a existing house in any condition you may save a fortune in running services,power water septic phone driveways fences......

TUCKED AWAY ALONG SIDE BUSH RESERVE!!!
        28 McLarty Street, Bridgetown

http://www.domain.com.au/2013311891
        Last edited by keys; 15-05-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Keep an eye on trees near powerlines on the boundary of any property you are looking at. Each year we got a bill from the electricity supplier contractor to remove any branches that came less than 3 meters from the lines.

Sold our Toodyay place last year prices are down so can get a nice house with all sight works done. We had a small motocross track as a firebreak. Next door had a full blown motocross track that appealed to me as a plus when buying the property. They built me my small one.

We will also be looking South for retirement as finding the heat at Toodyay area in summer is not my liking.

Comment

Have known quite a few living in sheds of all qualities and it can be done really badly or really well. Temperature control was the problem and the best was a double story area on the end of a high shed, and the worst retained tin walls with curtain barriers for rooms.
            If you are planning on a loan for property though, it will be based on income not equity, so if you are planning on not working for a while it will be unlikely you could get the loan you need. Good luck though.
            Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

^^^
              Transferring to a new area means that I will be unemployed by proxy, so am shocked at bit of info!

Was hoping to borrow approx 20%max, if needed , so may need to any sort of finance options long before we look at more property...

Cheers. 👍
              Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
                I would look for a existing house in any condition you may save a fortune in running services,power water septic phone driveways fences......

TUCKED AWAY ALONG SIDE BUSH RESERVE!!!
                28 McLarty Street, Bridgetown

http://www.domain.com.au/2013311891
                Property has been up for a while and is not on all of the for sale sites either.

Might wander on down next week and have a poke around...👍

Originally posted by Graelin View Post
                Keep an eye on trees near powerlines on the boundary of any property you are looking at. Each year we got a bill from the electricity supplier contractor to remove any branches that came less than 3 meters from the lines.

Sold our Toodyay place last year prices are down so can get a nice house with all sight works done. We had a small motocross track as a firebreak. Next door had a full blown motocross track that appealed to me as a plus when buying the property. They built me my small one.

We will also be looking South for retirement as finding the heat at Toodyay area in summer is not my liking.
                Acreage side by side Graeme?

Can use the boundary as a firebreak and moto track... 😉

Comment

Acreage side by side Graeme?

We had five acre blocks, our bikes were just for kids use so did not cause issues to other neighbours noise wise. The other bikes were mainly used for high ramp jumps. The use was infrequent so again did not push the boundaries with neighbours. We enjoyed watching.

I guess a lot depends on noise and whether neighbours get pissed off and complain.

Comment

Haven't read all the detail in the responses, but, on the subject of power, if it had cost $10K just to trench in for services, you are a third of the way to off-grid power anyway. A bloke up here has just paid $35K (!!!!!!!) to be connected to the mains. There was a 33kv line going past other side of the road, so he needed a SWER transformer mounted. For a tiny little house on a block near Wittecarra Creek. Be aware of this if you are looking at undeveloped blocks--if 415v overheads are going past, that will be your cheapest option.But still expensive. If there are none in sight, or if it is a HV only line nearby, the cost will skyrocket, AND you will be responsible for maintaining any poles on your block. This is when off-grid power really comes into it's own. if you are going south, and have a big catchment area roof, like a shed, surely you would go tank water?
                    " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

^^^^

Yep, tank water is a given on just about anything we look at. Am not unhappy about that as hopefully roof area(s) will be sufficient enough to keep tanks operational, without needing refills.

So far , we have looked at blocks with the power box (?) at the front, but appreciate the heads up with HV poles,ect.
                      Especially in fire prone areas...

Can't believe how much drama we would have overlooked prior to this thread, so appreciate all info and opinion.
                      Promise not to cry with any constructive criticism either, if you have a better and cost effective way to build.

Am very open to any sort of advice...

Comment

Another thing on insulation...see if there are any companies that do spray insulation. It's probably the best insulation I have come across. Widely used in Canada and Europe....
                        SP RACINGis supported by:
                        MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                        Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                        Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

^^^ Gold! 👍

I've seen the thin, adhesive stuff fixed to the walls but was bemused to see the way it was applied. Looked like the batch that was placed would last about 6 months on the roof before it let go.

Will poke around and see who does it. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by ReCon View Post
                            Have already poked around Nannup, Bridgey, Margs and Busso , so warped minds do think alike! 😊

Strangely enough with our search, the larger acre blocks were cheaper, which carved our search towards this size.

We too would prefer the smaller block, so will continue the search. ATM , we are suffering the curse of 1000 barking dogs and noisy neighbours. If the 2 acres resulted in a return to this scenario, it would be a strong possibility that violence would be the end result.
                            Hopefully a quiet , smallish ,rural block would be just heaven. 👍

Is an acre too small?

https://m.realestate.com.au/property...ands-201804850

About 10 minutes south of Donnybrook around 45 minutes from Bunbury and 40 minutes from Bridgetown, not a bad little spot that i drive past 3 times a day [emoji38]

A mate posted it on Facebook, the young fella selling it was the shark attack survivor at Esperance end of 2014, don't know if he's been living there or just using it as a weekender but there appears to be a "dwelling"
                            Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

^^^ Never say never [MENTION=17003]filbert[/MENTION], especially with the prospect of seeing your pretty smile 3 times a day! 💖

Looks like a Tuesday run might be on the cards, especially with a head full of updated dwelling info...

Comment

Exciting time for you Recon hope that you find somewhere. Love it down there. We are contemplating a caravan for next year. A friend in NZ has something called a house truck and mini house on the back looks great and they just travel.

Comment

Working...
                                X