Accounting Fee - Lawyers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounting Fee - Lawyers here?

An accounting firm did my amended taxes and charged a huge amount for the privilege... ok fair nuff, they sent me their fee schedule ahead of time so I knew it would be quite high.

After they lodged my return, the ATO processed it by adding my original return AND the amended return together - essentially doubling my income.

When I received the resulting grossly enormous tax bill instead of a decent return, I asked the accounting firm "wtf" and they said ATO must have made an error and said they're fixing it.

Today I get a bill for $2500 for "fixing" the errors the ATO made in processing the amended return. The invoice is actually for over $7000 worth of "numerous phone calls to the ATO", but they "capped" it at $2500.

Do I owe them $2500 as per their invoice? What the fuck?

Talk to the ATO and see who actually slipped up and why you have to pay for their mistake.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

That sounds steep, I'd be getting that checked..
      No road to rough no muff to tough.

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
        Talk to the ATO and see who actually slipped up and why you have to pay for their mistake.
        When I phoned ATO initially the guy claimed the ATO made no error. It was then found out several days later that they simply added the original filing and the amended filing together, doubling my income. I believe it's an error in how the ATO processed the amendment.

I've replied to the accounting invoice, contesting that I never agreed to pay for services to resolve the issue as I understood paying the fee for filing the amendment would include reasonable means to ensure it was successfully filed. No fee was ever mentioned during the resolution process. I never directed the accounting firm to lodge a formal complaint to the ATO at a cost (via accounting firm invoice) of almost $1,000, nor did I agree for the firm to make billable phone calls on my behalf.

I'm not even in the fucking country to complain to small claims or ACCC and I wont be in the country for at least a few years.

This is the 2nd accountant I've had issues with over this same return. The first, I had to abandon my small claims case as the date set for the hearing was for when I had already left the country. That issue was gross professional negligence - this issue is just the matter of billing for work that was not quoted and agreed upon.

Do I just say "no, I'm not paying for that"? What's the legal recourse?

Comment

Originally posted by INTJ View Post
          When I phoned ATO initially the guy claimed the ATO made no error. It was then found out several days later that they simply added the original filing and the amended filing together, doubling my income.
          Hmmm.

You called the ATO to dispute. They said they made no error.
          You subsequently confirmed that it WAS their error. And paid for the pleasure for your tax people to uncover the fk up.

You need to get in touch with ATO again for next steps.
          And I stay clear of the tax company while they're putting you on the clock.

At this point in time, I don't believe your beef is with the tax company, although SOMEONE needs to pay them. They've spent time and done nothing wrong in my view.

That's a ridiculous amount though. Especially the claimed ~$7k in phone calls. (Gotta love 6 minute billing and being put on hold...)
          I had 7 yrs tax done by a chartered accountant for $2300.

Comment

My Chatered Accountants bill rate is $5-600 per hour BUT he mostly handballs stuff to & supervisies the minions .. I doubt his billable for most jobs would be more than 30 mins, he's also the principal in a small firm.

Anyone need a good one hit me up with a PM, I've been using him for years & he's very good.
            .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Originally posted by INTJ View Post
              I wont be in the country for at least a few years.
              The just don't pay, what are they going to do? Send Interpol after you? #sarcasm

In all seriousness mate, that sucks balls and hope you can get it sorted. I have no idea how, personally, but I have my fingers crossed for you

Comment

I'm still awaiting a resolution. I said I never agreed to those particular services/fees and cannot be held liable. I made a good faith offer of $300 for that portion of the invoice as they requested me to offer what I thought was "reasonable". They said they'll get back to me and it's been about 2 weeks since last contact. I sent a follow-up email yesterday but still no response.

Comment

Ahhh... stalling technique... make you feel guilty.... then you pay..."sucker"

Secretary and principal have a holiday in Bali...'no checked baggage'

Step back...and don't be too quick to accept dubious invoices.... Good Luck.....
                  " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Working...
                  X