X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke over Perth - Friday Thread

Woke up at 3am to the smell of a fire.

https://thewest.com.au/news/weather/...-ng-b88493817z

After a quick look around concluded it was another burn off. Whilst I accept why its done, it is a little concerning that even with all my windows and doors shut it still gets in.

Mixed feelings about these prescribed burn offs and the hangover on the city.

My mother is an asthmatic and needless to say days like today are a living hell for her.

So, please discuss / debate the nessecity of these burn offs and how/why they cant do it when wind conditions favour clearing the metro area.

Friday thread if you feel the need for catharsis and cant see the wood for the trees, but otherwise lets clear the air in this one 😎😎😎...
    Its all good on Ducati's

I find it bemusing that with all that weather forecasting technology availabe that they still manage to do it when there are easterlies and not westerlies blowing

Comment

People in Perth, like Gippo, complain about everything.

During burn offs: "oh the smoke is bad blah blah my house has shit weatherproofing and sealing but it's someone else's fault blah blah"

During monster bush fires caused by not having prescribed burn offs: "oh the smoke is bad blah blah government isn't looking after us blah blah can't ride my Ducati 200 metres to the coffee shop blah blah"

I agree with Gareth that they should try to do it when the wind is blowing the right way, but it has to be done. Even the aboriginals used to do it in the dream time so that when summer came they didn't get monster out-of-control bush fires.
      Rest in Peace

Comment

[MENTION=51498]Ryanoceros[/MENTION] you are quick to judge.

I saw the aftermath of the Stoneville fires and I totally get why its done... Smoke doesnt bother me. Actually smells like camping!

But I'll speculate that this could put more asthmatic lives at risk than the worst fires actually do.

Just sayin.
        Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
          After a quick look around concluded it was another burn off. Whilst I accept why its done, it is a little concerning that even with all my windows and doors shut it still gets in.
          yea i was blown away when i found out my house isnt airtight too .

basically theres a certain time frame that the burnoffs can be done. if favourable weather doesnt line up with small window to do burnoff this is what happens.
          Originally posted by Paraletic
          little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
            [MENTION=51498]Ryanoceros[/MENTION] you are quick to judge.

I saw the aftermath of the Stoneville fires and I totally get why its done... Smoke doesnt bother me. Actually smells like camping!

But I'm pretty sure this could put more asthmatic lives at risk than the worst fires actually do.

Just sayin.
            Not really. The prescribed burns are short, controlled events and they usually don't last anywhere near as long or put out as much smoke as uncontrolled fires do. To say that controlled burns are worse than out of control bushfires is nonsense.

IIRC wasn't there a bad fire in the early 2000s that nearly blocked out the sun for like a week in Perth ? Pretty sure it was 03/04 because I remember being in primary school when it happened
            Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
              Even the aboriginals used to do it in the dream time so that when....

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                dribble
                When are we going for a ride bud ?
                Rest in Peace

Comment

When are we going for a ride bud ?
                  nah not here for sex just chat n stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                    nah not here for sex just chat n stuff
                    That's fine, I'm taken by GreenMeanie. Let's go for a ride this weekend ? Hills, country, or suburban ?
                    Rest in Peace

Comment

Let's go for a ride this weekend ? Hills, country, or suburban ?
                      Garden. Calling [MENTION=7674]Captain Starfish[/MENTION].

Comment

Did someone say.."Controlled Burn.." wouldn't have been CALM, then.

Fire / Smoke-----what's the thing about .. residential slow combustion fires..?

This same debate has been going on for years..... CALM.. picks the historically WORST time to burn... their record of fatalities and property lost is shameful.

Given the info available to 'Control Burn' a teenage firebug could do better....with better results for regrowth.....and better understand the needs of the environment. 2c
                        " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Necessary evil. I've had to put my horses through horrific amounts of stress multiple times getting them out of the front line of fires that are deliberately lit in areas that these little turds know will burn fast and well because there is huge amounts of vacant bush land that hasn't been burnt in decades. There is a good reason why Indigenous Australian's back burnt the land long before we came about, and still continue to do so in certain areas of Australia.

Comment

A slight cough or minor breathing difficulty (treatable with medication) is too much of a price to pay for saving multiple family homes from catastrophic bushfires.
                              Originally posted by Desmo
                              Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Working...
                              X