Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke over Perth - Friday Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    cough cough

    what smoke

    cough cough
    Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
    Who died while defending his right of way;
    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong


    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
      IIRC wasn't there a bad fire in the early 2000s that nearly blocked out the sun for like a week in Perth ? Pretty sure it was 03/04 because I remember being in primary school when it happened
      That would have been this one.

      One hour later Same footbridge on Orrong.

      Controlled burns need to occur when there is no chance of rain or strong winds.

      Hence the smoke haze. Running your A/C or Evap cooler on cooling and low fan will help wash the smoke from the air in the house.

      Just put your wet weather woolies on first.
      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

      Comment


      • #18
        as an asthmatic it sucks but it has to be done I guess

        at least this time it wasn't done over a (long) weekend!

        Comment


        • #19
          Soooo.... let me get this straight... there's smoke.....was it near water......or Montreau Boulevard...?

          Was there a "rolling truck stones' thing" just outside..?

          Oh Wai..... it's in Perth...?
          " Imagination is the seed of life..."

          Comment


          • #20






            \thread

            As previously mentioned it's unfortunate that it affects a minority of people but the overall benefits outweigh the inconvenience The main reason for the devastating Black Saturday bushfires was a lack of burn offs being conducted in previous years because of vocal opposition from Green groups and others that complained about the inconvenience of the burn offs
            I know a couple of people who went through the BSBF and many locals had been warning of exactly what happened, massive fuel loads from lack of clearing and burn offs that was just waiting for the slightest spark
            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
            Originally posted by Phildo
            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
            Originally posted by filbert
            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

            98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

            Comment


            • #21
              I thought I could save a few bucks on Durries.
              Buy lives and still get the same effect.
              But likes cost as much as full strengths.
              What a Cunt!

              Comment


              • #22
                Pretty much what's been said, small windows of opportunities for when you can actually conduct these burns. Weeks of prep can be wasted by weather. A good analogy I have heard is regarding the Lindt cafe hostage situation "why didn't they shoot him through the window, I find it hard to believe a trained sniper had multiple chances to not take the shot!" Speculations, to many Hollywood movies and just unfounded comments. I'm not saying it can't be managed better from the burns teams (ask any volly bush brigade member, it can be a debacle at times red tape and such) but they are limited to time, conditions and risk vs reward.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Just do it. Seriously, if you look up the standing rules of PSB it goes something like this.

                1. Dont be a dick
                2. Desmo is allowed to be a dick (sometimes)
                3. Buy the one with the most Duke
                4. Dont ask about fixing the search function.
                etc etc..

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by spudda View Post
                  A good analogy I have heard is regarding the Lindt cafe hostage situation "why didn't they shoot him through the window, I find it hard to believe a trained sniper had multiple chances to not take the shot!"
                  if a SAS sniper can hit a enemy in the throat from 3kms away with a gun made in the USA im sure they had the chances from the roof tops.. just no organisation and the old catch 22 people would have complained either way

                  as for burn offs im not sure if pre burns even help, from what i have seen these areas are still just as flammable after. maybe more so who knows

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Hillz View Post

                    as for burn offs im not sure if pre burns even help, from what i have seen these areas are still just as flammable after. maybe more so who knows
                    Huh ? After they've done burn offs, you think the area is still just as, if not more flammable ? Righto skip
                    Rest in Peace

                    #294

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      from the parts i have seen they do a half arsed job, still leaves and nice dry kindling everywhere and all the trees only half burnt with the top half gone from green to half dead & ready to burn and drop a blanket of leave & wood a week or so later

                      its just something i have observed in recent times, no need to get ya knickers in a twist

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Waddayah mean part burnt/browned off foliage is easier to burn than Green/succulent growth...?!!?

                        " Tell him he's dreamin.."
                        " Imagination is the seed of life..."

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Hillz View Post
                          from the parts i have seen they do a half arsed job, still leaves and nice dry kindling everywhere and all the trees only half burnt with the top half gone from green to half dead & ready to burn and drop a blanket of leave & wood a week or so later

                          its just something i have observed in recent times, no need to get ya knickers in a twist
                          Our lovely native eucalyptus trees burn fast and hot, the oil in the leaves ignites and burns out quickly to save the trunk from an extended burn and potential harm. This is why bushfires spread so quickly in uncontrolled areas.
                          Hence why they target the tree crowns. The whole point of prescribed burns is to remove the most volatile fuel from the system.

                          If you're looking at litter on the ground then you're doing it wrong.
                          Originally posted by Desmo
                          Why be a cunt about it?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                            Our lovely native eucalyptus trees burn fast and hot, the oil in the leaves ignites and burns out quickly to save the trunk from an extended burn and potential harm. This is why bushfires spread so quickly in uncontrolled areas.
                            Hence why they target the tree crowns. The whole point of prescribed burns is to remove the most volatile fuel from the system.

                            If you're looking at litter on the ground then you're doing it wrong.

                            Until wind speed is over and above 25knts......then ...all bets are off.

                            Not only fresh oxygen to substantially increase burn temps with added essential oils..;-(

                            Also convection AND ground level embers storms... Burn off... nah

                            Cut and harvest the trees...( do it all year round... back to back) sell 'em to pay for the fire break you just made...some areas are inaccessible ...

                            drop 'tree cutting rednecks' in job done, mid late winter ....not in the Hic dry season.?

                            Just 'cause " it's the way we always do it.''.... doesn't mean it's the right.. or there isn't a better way...2c
                            " Imagination is the seed of life..."

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X