Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single phase to 3 phase

Hey guys,

I am struggling to figure this out, I got given a 200L 7.5hp air compressor that runs on 3 phase power, I would like to use it at home but only have single phase power, are their any options that I can do this? or should I sell it and buy something smaller?
    Master of the missed signals

If it's 3 phase then it draws too much current for single phase circuits.

You could see about having a three phase outlet installed where you intend to use it but that option is unavailable in a lot of places.

You could get a 3 phase genset to run it but probably impractical.

Something smaller is probably the better option, selling it could also be a problem since most people find the same issue, most likely why it was given to you.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

if you don't have three phase and don't plan on installing it, then sell it on and bu a good single phase unit
      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

VFD not sure you'll have enough amps to run your compressor though.
        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

For sale 1 industrial compressor

Comment

You can get single to three phase converters that can probably do it for you. Or you could change the motor for a big single phase unit and sell the old 3 ph on

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
              Or you could change the motor for a big single phase unit and sell the old 3 ph on
              Which would then need a 15A GPO
              "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                Which would then need a 15A GPO
                True, but most sheds have ability to have that installed fairly reasonably priced. Plus then you can run a decent welder as well

Comment

Originally posted by kenty View Post
                  For sale 1 industrial compressor
                  What is it and how much?

Comment

I use a 3 phase car hoist at home with a suitable adaptor - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ampfibia...aptor_p7050104

No idea if there would be enough power coming out of it to run the compressor, though.
                    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                      I use a 3 phase car hoist at home with a suitable adaptor - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ampfibia...aptor_p7050104

No idea if there would be enough power coming out of it to run the compressor, though.
                      You must have something else too, like a capacitor bank to "generate" the fake second and third phase. What you have is a 15 Amp socket fitted with a 10 Amp RCD on the end of a 10 Amp plug. It works because more often than not the appliance needing the 15 Amp draws closer to 10, but due to other consumers connected (and likely drawing current at the same time) the combined draw will trip the standard 10 Amp breaker in your switchboard.

Comment

Unsure of the brand because the stickers come unstuck, but it's 200l, 7.5 HP Siemens motor, honestly I'd love it if it weren't for the 3 phase, I was thinking about chucking it on gumtree for 2k but for no haggling and PSB I'd do $1500

Comment

There are 3 phase VSD's available which run off a single phase supply, not expensive. A mate bought one some years ago to run his 3 phase Mill in his shed with single phase supply. I installed and configured it, still runs fine to this day. This is not plug'n play, it is not connected to a socket outlet, but in it's own circuit from the shed board. I am a licenced electrician. In this case , I don't think it would be a solution--if the motor is rated at 7.5 hp, it is pulling 8.5 amps per phase , running, on three phase. As every compressor I have ever seen is DOL start, you would be pulling at least four times that on start up. When you go to the single phase to 3 phase solution, the power has to come from somewhere, so, the single phase run current of that rating, at least 25 amps, would be multiplied by that same factor. In short, in won't work. His Mill has quite a low current draw, so it worked for him. The Bunnings solution mentioned earlier for the car hoist is the same deal, 3 phase car hoists draw stuff all as they are very low geared and just not working hard.
                          " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

first question is do you have 3ph power to your house. main switch will be the size of 3 of the normal circuit breakers.
                            Second question is if yes do you have the $600+ to run a 3ph circuit to where you want the 3ph outlet to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post

That's just 15a 240v.

3 phase is the one with 4 or 5 pins.
                              In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Working...
                              X