A question for the brew masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the brew masters

Ok.. comming up to summer and having now run out of home brew, its time for me to crank it up again.

I have a question for the brewing experts out there as to why most of my brews turn out with a particular taste that i can only describe as being a "green" taste if you will. The same taste seems to come through with no matter what brew kit im using (yes im lazy and dont have the time do a full grain brew).

Any ideas?
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

possibly yeast health issues, can't post a full reply now, will write an essay tonight
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Cheers BF
      In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
      If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Aphex, do you run kegs or bottle?

Since running kegs if I can leave them for a week or so the "green" taste disappears. Always good to have one gassing while consuming the other. If it's bottled then switch to keg and gas as I have no idea, never had much luck bottling.

Cheers BF [/b]

Comment

Bottles. Dont have the room for kegs atm...

Comment

I always try to leave em sit for 2 or 3 months. Stouts are great after a year or so. Means you gotta plan ahead though.

Cleanliness is paramount also. Pretend its a hospital. Infected beer is NASTY.
            Remember....Your only young once.....

But you can be immature for as long as you bloody well like!

Comment

Yeast infection....? *shudders*

Comment

Yep.... everything is sterile the whole shebang. Always leave em for a few months also.

Comment

Don't know a thing about home brew, but I got myself down to Allanson and Brew 42.

Bloody nice stuff.

Available on tap at Clancy's in Freo & "The Ship" hotel in Busselton.

No, I';m not on commission.

Comment

Most people blame dextrose or malt extract for the green homebrew flavours you get, sometimes a little bit of a sour twang.

What it comes down to it yeast, and mainly the lack of. The little sachet you get under the can is barely enough to ferment a brew properly, assuming it's all healthy and is treated well. This means it is fresh, has been handled well, and not exposed to variations in temperature (which never happens). Then you need to go through rehydrating, reculturing and pitching the right amount at the right temperature.

So for your next brew, go to a good homebrew shop and buy 2 sachets of a decent yeast. You can tell the good ones because they will keep the yeasts in a fridge. This will set you back $5-6 or so, but should make a huge difference to the brew.

If this doesn't work, let me know and we can investigate other things.
                    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

So if you're doing homebrew spirits, it would be unwise to split the yeast sachet in two so you can run two batches off one sachet?
                      Or is that just for beer?

Comment

It doesn't matter nearly as much for spirits, as you obviously distill the end product and get rid of lots of impurities.

You would be better off reusing the yeast cake, that way you have huge numbers of viable yeast at the bottom of your fermenter.

Comment

Working...
                        X