Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ever had a slipped disc?

hey,

anyone ever had a slipped disc and had trouble riding?

asking because did my back in July this year, and my doc reckons I might have some trouble with some of the positions im riding in (just the motorcycle positions you filthy people)

wanting to know the thoughts of anyone whose had a slipped disc and rides - im only 23 and recovering well

cheers

[v]

Had a minor prolapse a few years back. It does give me the shits after long stints in the sadle, thus I can often be seen standing on the pegs twisting my arse from side to side. Doesnt give me much greif aside from that.
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
      Had a minor prolapse a few years back. It does give me the shits after long stints in the sadle, thus I can often be seen standing on the pegs twising my arse from side to side. Doesnt give me much greif aside from that.
      Is that why?
      And for a while I began to believe the gay rumours! Go figure!

All depends on the style of bike V....sports orientated riding positions will give you more trouble(if you have back, wrist, shoulder issues) when compared to the more upright sitting position (commonly known as the "sit up and beg") that you might see on the Sport/Tourer and Cruiser styles.
      Last edited by FJ Steve; 11-10-2007, 09:34 AM. Reason: Like Aphex...I can't spell for shit!
      Originally posted by Viper
      I'm probably fucking something up.
      FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
      Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
        Had a minor prolapse a few years back.
        Prolapsed Anus.

Comment

Hey you wanted to see the pics...
          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
          Its the little things that make the difference
          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Slipped, pro-lapsed and shattered here. When it first happened I could only ride cruisers (and anything where you sit straight, though that could be more to do with the brace I had to wear), now (about 18 months after it all happened) I can ride pretty much any, but I start to get real uncomfortable on rides any longer then about 2 hours. About 6 months after it happened I had a ride of a friends sports, and after about 5 minutes I was in agony for about 3 days.

If you plan to do a long ride, see if you can get a massage before you head off, I find I can ride for about twice as long if I do this. A tight kidney belt also helps.

Comment

Dived into swimming pool.. hit my head, cracked 6th vertabrae, crushed 7th one. slipped lower back and a sore neck ever since. Headaches still after 2years..

meh.. life goes on.. been to gym for 1.5years since and my back is now stronger than ever.

/end thread

Comment

Originally posted by (v) View Post
                hey,

anyone ever had a slipped disc and had trouble riding?

asking because did my back in July this year, and my doc reckons I might have some trouble with some of the positions im riding in (just the motorcycle positions you filthy people)

wanting to know the thoughts of anyone whose had a slipped disc and rides - im only 23 and recovering well

cheers

[v]
                got 2 torn discs just seem to have to put up with the pain and no it doesnt get better
                Is Dead

Comment

Rest it and it will be allright although you don't say where it is i.e. upper or lower back. If its the lower back it could be a problem. Swimming is really good for your back plus it soothes the optic nerve. Have fun. P.S. Flexibility is very important also.

Comment

minor medium protruding disc in my neck, stretching, and some time off has seen if come good, still wary though

Comment

Have a bulged disc in lower back L4- L5 which pushes on the sciatic nerve.
                      It causes great pain in my lower back, down my right leg and foot.
                      I also get numbness, tingling, burning or prickling sensations.
                      None of this stops me riding my sports bike though, as I just put up with the pain.

Comment

I had a micro disectomy about 3 months ago and still aren't able to ride. But it is good to hear Havago that you are riding a sports bike. Maybe there is hope yet for me. Arwon has volunteered to look after my bike so I can't sneak a ride in.

Comment

Originally posted by CT90 View Post
                          you don't say where it is i.e. upper or lower back. If its the lower back it could be a problem. Swimming is really good for your back plus it soothes the optic nerve. Have fun. P.S. Flexibility is very important also.
                          yeah lower back - L/45-S1

im such a poor swimmer but bought googles and cap the other day to get started on it... i like land sports but i just seem to die in the water

seems like everyones problem is different. sitting normally for about 2 hours at home is painful so guess im gonna just have to give it try and see how it goes...

usually when the endorphins kick in during sport i dont really feel a thing, so i may just have to make sure my ridin does the same thing

Comment

Okay (V) I crushed a vertibrae and ruptered the Disc at L5/S1, Partial paralysis due to damage to Sciatic nerve for my right leg, surgery was a partial discectomy, spent 3 months in hospital on my back, and then 6 months on sick leave learning to move again etc.

Now 10 yrs later only a minor limp (hardly perceptible) no sensation in my small toes on my right foot, some loss of sensation for my right leg.

I ride a sports bike and love it. Yes you can get tired from holding yourself properly, but on longer country runs I use a back support\protector to help relive the pressure.

Other than that I have no problems with in, I ride every day to and from work.

If you ride and find it unbearable then look to change styles but until then just keep on enjoying it.
                            Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Ruptured disc L5 S1 paralysed my left leg lost the use of my bladder. Had a partial discectomy and lamenectomy emergeny surgery in 97 had it again in 98 its been good ever since. I have raced M/X enduros since with some discomfort but only if I stop my core muscle exercises.Sport bikes don't bother much just make sure you do HEAPS of core muscle work. I found Kayak paddling to help heaps if you use correct technique.

MM

Comment

Working...
                              X