car sub/amp wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car sub/amp wiring

My brothers just got a pair of subs and an amp for his birthday. We need to wire the subs (DVC 2ohms) to a 2ohm load. Whats the best way to do it, wire the coils in series and then the subs in parallel, or the coils in parallel and the subs in series?

Also, whats the best way to wire in series? The amp only has a single +/- output. Just try and stick 2 wires in the one hole or what? Anything you can buy that'll help?
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Errr. A 2-ohm sub is a 2-ohm load.

2x 2-ohm subs in parallel is 1-ohm.
    2x 2-ohm subs in series is 4-ohm.

Buy another amp if you can't run a 1-ohm load.

Comment

This should explain it for you...

JL Audio

Comment

i'd go 2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel as most amps don't like getting down to 1 ohm or less and run stable without over heating.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
          i'd go 2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel as most amps don't like getting down to 1 ohm or less and run stable without over heating.
          Probably best to ask model numbers of his equipment before jumping on the mis-informed bandwagon

Comment

Be careful what you do, if your amp cant handle a 2 ohm load it will die very quickly. A while ago we plugged my 2 ohm sub into my mate brand new comp series amp which he thought could handle it......it didnt even last 1 song and they refused to fix it under warranty. So check your equipments capabilities and wire accordingly.
            The Equity Crowd
            Marketing, Websites, Business Development

Comment

Uncommon sense really - If a tyre is rated to 180kph, don't go doing 250+.
              If an amp takes 1/2/4/8 ohms, run with the reccomended impedance.

Comment

Originally posted by EMVY View Post
                Probably best to ask model numbers of his equipment before jumping on the mis-informed bandwagon
                I'm supporting the ... find out what your equipment is rated at then set it up accordingly bandwagon ...

Comment

^^ +1
                  Not sure what your amp is, if it's rated for 2 ohm, then go coils in parallel, subs in series
                  If it's rated for 4, you're screwed.
                  **Edit: Actually, you aren't quite screwed... Wire as per 2 ohm, and connect in series a high power ceramic resistor @ 2ohms. You'll get cutouts if you exceed your peak power, because amps have overload protection. This will result in clean sound, and no dead speakers, but one very hot resistor, make sure you get hold of a decent one...
                  Ran a setup like that for quite some time, and it coped brilliantly.
                  If it's rated for 1 ohm, probably best to run it at 2ohm. For an amp to be stable at 1 ohm, it really has to be very well built. Post the specs of your gear. If you are exceeding ~500W RMS i'd stick a smoothing capacitor in there as well, general rule of thumb is 1 farad per 1000W but i've had different issues with different vehicles applying that rule. Last system i built was 2.4KW RMS with 4 farads for smoothing.

Or if you don't isolate the amps e.t.c, i'd recommend you get a charger, and plug the car in at night, so you don't wake up with a flat battery

So, assuming it's a 2 ohm amp, wire it like this:

N.B. This is all assuming your subs are actually 2 ohm per coil!!!! If they are actually 4 ohm per coil then it gets uglier
                  Last edited by Kryzaach; 04-11-2007, 04:16 PM. Reason: Misinfo
                  "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Working...
                  X