Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell XPS 1330 Laptop

Anyone here bought a Dell XPS laptop?

I did, it is my third Dell laptop in 8 years, last one is still good just thought it was a good time to upgrade especially since I can salary package it.

Anyway, and I know there will be Dell haters here and I hate to give them fuel; I got it on Monday, the Dell engineers are coming Wednesday. CPU constantly at 100% (not due to indexing), very, very, hot palm rest on right (so much it has warped the memory card reader blank), both support guys I have spoken to on the phone agree it is really weird since the neither the processor nor HDD are on that side, it goes to stand-by intermittently, video adaptor had stopped working twice, and seriously this thing is super hot, I burnt my finger on the plastic casing underneath!

I am not bagging Dell, 'cause I am sure once it is working it will work well, all reviews I have read have been very positive, biggest complaint being delivery time (mine was a week, ordered through work so I guess I was prioritised). Just pissed off it is not working first time.

Thoughts?

Tim.
    sigpic

I recently bought a 12" XPS (now discontinued though :S).
    Love it. No probs.

I'm reasonably knowledgeable with computers, so this has got me wondering what is causing the problem...

100% CPU usage would have to be some software using the CPU.
    Perhaps theres a problem with cooling as 100% CPU for any period of time without proper cooling will cause lots of heat. Maybe problem with heat sink (chunk of metal which dissipates heat from the processor), or a failed fan?
    Is there an air vent on the right?
    Might be possible that video card or motherboard chipset is on the right side?

Otherwise, could be a problem with power supply/battery creating the heat and the CPU load is unrelated?

Let us know what they find as it has me intrigued

Comment

CPU is apparently nowhere near the right side, the fan is going like crazy all the time. The tech guys so far are stumped as to what could be causing the heat in that area 'cause they reckon there is nothing there other than the card reader.

I am not convinced it is SW related, we have stopped all start up and non MS services and still same prob.

So you, me, and Dell are stumped.

Will let you know what the problem, or at least the solution, is. They have given me four hour service after tomorrow's call so if the tech guy tomorrow can't fix it I will have a 4 hour response time, even after hours!

Fingers crossed.

Tim.
      sigpic

Comment

If its got vista on it, and you've got a heap of locations in the indexng locations, take them out, particularly if you've got files in said locations like, for example, DVD-ISOs.

THe vista indexer shits itself on massive files like that, chews out a shitload of memory, etc.

Worth checking, i was wondering "wtf" when my machine was lagging like a slut (with like... internet explorer open and that was it - its a core2 q6600 with 2gb, so it more than meets requirements ), and that was the cause.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I suspect the solution is a replacement and that we probably wont find out what caused it

Comment

Yeah, but if he gets a replacement and does the same shit (or even, swaps the drive into the new hardware) the problem will still be there/come back
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

So I took the laptop to work today turned it on to see if it had the same problems and yes it did. The tech was due about 1 pm so I turned it on again just before he was due... it wouldn't even turn on, completely dead!

So initially they wanted to send back to the workshop to repair it! I said no way do I want this repaired I want it replaced. So then they tell me they can ask their manager and it will take 10-14 days, longer than it took to get a new one. Not acceptable since I am leaving for work for a week next weekend and will need the laptop for the trip. I could take my current laptop; but I want the new one, I have paid for it!

I have spoken to our Dell rep and asked him if he can hurry it along; fingers crossed.

So as suspected, no idea what the problem was/is?
              sigpic

Comment

Finally got the replacement today. All seems fine, they have extended my warranty to 3 years from 2 and should be able to get a spare 320 GB HDD which I will have to buy a USB caddy for to use externally.

All's well that ends well, maybe!?!?

Tim.
                sigpic

Comment

Having bought an Inspiron 9400 14 months ago, I'd seriously think twice about buying another Dell laptop.

Screen is loose, battery farked, paint on palm rests has worn (took about 4 weeks).

AND they keep sending me shitty letters in the mail, AND hassled me to choose McAfee instead of Nortons (Literally - 15 minutes on the phone).

Comment

This is my 3rd Dell an despite this trouble I would have to say I am overall happy with them. I have used a few different over the years for work and have always preferred the Dell. Again despite all this screw up on this one.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X