Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Internet

Ok Dudes,

I am hooking onto wireless broadband. Now, i have read thru some previous threads on this matter and get the idea that im a dickhead if i dont secure my signal, i get that bit loud and clear and i couldnt agree more!

However, HOW DO I DO IT??? My IP provider seems a little hesitant to let me in on the tips, well, there is absolutely nothing in the User Manual that they have supplied anyways.

I have searched the net and see that encryption and exclusions are a good way to go, but in none of my literature can i find my default password nor do i know how to go about this on the PC.

Any advice???

Is this wireless broadband, or a wireless network at home?

Wireless broadband = nothing to worry about.
    Wireless network = use the configuration page on your wireless access point to set a password.

Comment

AHA!!! It is wireless Broadband, not cable, not ADSL. Buuuuuuuut, i thought others could hook into my signal, which has been an experience already??? My Trend Penecillin comes up with an alert that another user is, named LAPTOP (so it is not in my house and we dont have any other computers networked) is accessing my connection... They are not the exact words of the message but along those lines...

Comment

Originally posted by Kelstar View Post
        AHA!!! It is wireless Broadband, not cable, not ADSL. Buuuuuuuut, i thought others could hook into my signal, which has been an experience already??? My Trend Penecillin comes up with an alert that another user is, named LAPTOP (so it is not in my house and we dont have any other computers networked) is accessing my connection... They are not the exact words of the message but along those lines...
        Turn off your wifi?
        That is the only way people could access your computer. They shouldn't be able to do it if you were just using the wireless broadband card (from 3 or vodafone or telstra for example) to access the net, as these types of cards access the mobile phone networks...

Comment

Disallow in your wireless settings the ability for your laptop to create or join ad-hoc networks (connections directly to another PC without an intermediate access point).

Comment

Might be an idea to disable File and Printer Sharing, if you don't need it.

D'Art

Comment

Working...
            X