Brain damage what happens now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain damage what happens now?

Ok, so as my previous tread my friend has an accident and slipt into a coma nine weeks ago.

After speaking to his father today, we have been unfortunately informed that richard has serious brain damage affecting the motor? function part of the brain.

Apparently this section controls talking, walking etc.

So i know a few people on here have partner in the medical scene so

1.) would richard be in pain?
    2.) given that they have now noted the damage as serious will he wake? does this part of the brain effect this?
    3.) so what happens now? do they just keep the meds going hoping he gets better? he is able to breath without support but can't wake.

The medico's wont give me any info as im not related and i don't want to press his father frank as he doen't need that.
    Last edited by Dubs; 07-12-2007, 07:15 AM. Reason: Health Query

I don't have a medical background but I can talk cold, hard maths with you though. You said your friend was at 9 weeks after an accident and is in a coma. After 16 weeks the partial recovery rate of coma patients with brain injury (regain conciousness and some of their previous abilities) is roughly one in seven; full recovery is lower than that. Typically the bell curve peaks within the first few days or weeks, and drops off after that. More serious brain injury does not mean they stand a lower chance, as you already pointed out, but these are just the numbers that they're against.

All of that being said, I think science and math fails to take the human factor into the equation - if your friend is a truly exceptional person they won't conform to the norm. I hope your friend wakes up soon and is ok.
    Last edited by Tenchi; 10-11-2007, 06:05 AM.
    Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

I know nothing about the medical side of this, although from your description it doesn't sound very promising.

Just wanted to say that this news must have really capped off a dreadful couple of weeks for you.

I hope that Richard does improve to a level that he has a decent quality of life, and that your life gets happier too.
      Adventure before Dementia

Comment

So sorry to hear what you have been going thru!! It's been real rough ay mate! Keep strong!

Comment

Thanks guys,

Tenchi cheers for being honest, It is so frustrating everyone wants to tip-toe at the moment.

He just doesn't seem to be going either way, they originally said that there was a chance of brain damage but wouldn't know until he woke now without waking he is said to have serious brain damage???

I try to stay away from medical information and this isn't an easyone to find on google so cheers.

And yeah i quess life just sucks sometimes.

Comment

There are so many variables with a head injury it would be total folly to start telling you what you should expect. But one thing which may help you and your friends dad is to get in touch with the Head Injured Society. They have a lot of information which may help you. Good luck, I hope your friend comes through ok.

Comment

Without knowing the mechanism of injury, seeing the scans and talking to the managing team (presumably ICU/neurological HDU)- it's impossible to say. Generally speaking- localised injuries result in localised presentations- though if the 'intergrating' parts of the brain are affected- then results can be quite bizzare.

If it is a high velocity injury (i.e. motorcycle accident at speed), then one can get a generalised brain injury (essentially where the neurons are sheared by the accel/deaccel forces and surrounding swelling causes further injury). These injuries tend to cause coma. You can obviously also get a combination of local and general injuries.

9 weeks is a long time to be in a coma- but the medics may be inducing the coma to manage the patient (e.g. intracranial pressure/airway issues). This is worth checking out as it may save you a lot of grief and worry.

The short version is that each patient is individual and that you really need to talk to the medical staff. I suggest you write down all your questions as relatives always forget to ask stuff when prompted. Nobody can really tell you what will happen until your friend wakes up or not- this is sometimes why you can be given the appearance of staff tip-toeing round the issue.

Good luck- it's a hard road ahead.

T

Comment

Working...
              X