how do I change com port settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I change com port settings

I bought a belkin USB to 9 pin com port connector (nearly grabed me chest when I was told it was 80$) to connect my lappy to the new programable ignition ( Ducati Monster Board - Programmable ignition for 2V carbies!!! )
    and it wont connect. Seems that it has installed on com 22 but the program for the ignition only goes from com1 to com 20. How do I make the connector install to a different com port?

Assuming XP.

Go Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager
    Scroll down to Ports
    Right click on your port (22), Properties.
    Port Settings tab, click advanced.

Select your port, OK your way out of it.

Try now!
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I am having similiar problems with my adapter, trying to communicate with an older power commander 2 with a serial port. Will check those settings.

Comment

I wonder what UART settings they support...

Comment

Originally posted by monsta View Post
          I bought a belkin USB to 9 pin com port connector (nearly grabed me chest when I was told it was 80$)
          Ouch! I would have expected those things to be around $20 in shops. They're $10 or so on eBay for non-brand name ones.

Thanks to Captain Starfish for a solution, I'll store that away for future reference too.

Comment

I used to do a lot of embedded micro work and the serial port was the easiest way of talking to a 'real' computer. At least until 'real' computers decided noone needed them anymore and went totally USB.

You can get them cheap BUT the real cheap ones use a half-arsed chipset which have real problems with latency etc.

Not helpful, but I wouldn't have paid more than about $30 either. Still, if it's the difference between doing what you need to and not being able to, $80 is only half a night at the pub you won't have.
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
              I used to do a lot of embedded micro work and the serial port was the easiest way of talking to a 'real' computer. At least until 'real' computers decided noone needed them anymore and went totally USB.

You can get them cheap BUT the real cheap ones use a half-arsed chipset which have real problems with latency etc.

Not helpful, but I wouldn't have paid more than about $30 either. Still, if it's the difference between doing what you need to and not being able to, $80 is only half a night at the pub you won't have.
              thanks starfish,
              funny... I waited 4 weeks for the prog ing, but had to buy the adaptor from tricky dicky to play with the tune NOW! I din't shop around and it cost almost half price of the controller anyhow! dickhead I am!

Comment

If it works, be happy.

As captain starfish implied, i'd much rather spend 80-200 bucks on a USB -> serial adapter that actually works reliably than spend 30 bucks on one that gives me no end of grief.

Have had all sorts of issues with cheap shitty ones, last time i used one was a few years ago tho... make a point of ensuring any laptop i get has a serial port.

There's a few of them out there still with serial ports, Dell Latitudes for one...
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

In the end, I had to buy a PCMCIA serial port thing to get rid of the latency inherent in USB - trying to flip control lines at over 1MHz requires pretty much straight-through connection from the UART to the CPU. These things aren't cheap.

Then I got a new lappy - and one without PCMCIA, so had to go off and get another card for the new format, express 2 or whatever the fuck it is. More $$. Then I gave up and got a USB programmer

Comment

Working...
                  X