Diving ticket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diving ticket

I've been thinking about getting my diving ticket for a while. Does anyone know who to see, what to look for and how much. I have 3 weeks off just after christmas and was thinking of doing then.

No Muff diving jokes, unless they're good. ha ha
    sigpic

Depends. As always.

The UWA Recreate programme does the ticket including boat dives, gear hire and a year's membership with the UWA Underwater Club for around $450 (I think).

It's a good course with a bunch of extra bits and pieces.

BUT you'll be pushing shit uphill to line up with the fairly sporadic dates they offer and it's more expensive than some of the shops if all you want is your ticket.

Look up the dive shops in the yellow pages or via the SSI and PADI websites and ring around for quotes. You should be able to do it for as little as $300 plus dive medical and some gear hire.

The SPUMS website has a list of diving doctors and if you're serious you should probably get your dive medical before you bother hunting prices.

Good luck!
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

If you're a member of UWA, i think its cheaper, being around $350 or $400. Dunno for sure though.

If not, as the Cap'n said, just look around for PADI and SSI.

Lastly, good one ya. Awesome fun. Tad too expensive for me at the moment though to keep it up.

Comment

most places are about $350-400.

make sure you pay the extra $50 or so to get your last dives on a boat @ Rottnest, well worth it.

two places i can recommend are:

Dive, Ski, Surf @ E-Shed markets - that's where i got my ticket from. great guys, great instructor, good price too.

Dolphin Dive @ Welshpool - That's where i bought my gear from, where i always go back to, and where i'm booking in to do my advanced course in 08.

Comment

I did my ticket at Sorrento Dive in Hillary's in 1998 (it's now closed?).
          Looking at getting my advanced ticket, and had quotes around $300 for that.

Comment

yeah, normally about $300-$330 for advanced.

Comment

Once you've got your open water, look us up (UWA Underwater Club), I've pimped it fairly hard over the last couple of weeks.

We're about to run an advanced course (I think) for about $250 plus books for members.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                Once you've got your open water, look us up (UWA Underwater Club), I've pimped it fairly hard over the last couple of weeks.

We're about to run an advanced course (I think) for about $250 plus books for members.
                Cool, my GF and I both have our tickets, but i haven't dived since she got hers. Sounds like a good opportunity to dive together + increase the skillz.
                "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

15th December, come for a shore dive and barbie with us.

Comment

If you were NOR I would try Wombat at Hookah Dive 9309 3038 as your from swingingpig try Scubanautics 9527 4447or Bell Scuba 9527 9028 Note DON"T GO INTO THIS SHOP IF YOU ARE WET might get his carpet wet or something, asked me to leave because I had a wet wetsuit on. They all should have a list of Dive Doctors which you will need to see. SSI way to go
                    Put Another Dollor In. Water

Comment

Yeah, regarding dive docs - if you've had asthma in the past they can get expensive (most will tell you to get farked).

One outlet said they would allow me to do the advanced open water without a medical if I signed a disclaimer saying I was in good health.
                      Don't think I'd have a problem passing again, but they get very anal retentive if you've had breathing disorders, even in the distant past.

Comment

hmmm, i've got asthma and got my diving medical clearance no probs.

it's mainly down to breathing ability and capacity.

Comment

Fractional Expired Volume in 1 second (FEV-1) is the main test of the diving medical.

You have to be able to empty over 80% or 85% (it's been a while, can't remember exactly) of your lung volume in a second or they start asking questions...

Comment

^ yep, that's it.

edit - plus it also depends on how frequently you need/use medication for it.

Comment

I had to spend two whole days down at the riverside drive medical center inhaling certain saline solutions and getting peak flow metered every 10 minutes when I was 14.. that's when i did my open water. Nearly died of athsma as a kid. Turns out I have no asthma anymore (well didn't back then).

Comment

Working...
                              X