Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Universal Theory of Everything

For those interested.

Blows my mind a little bit (I'm not so up to scratch on my fundamental particles). Keen to hear from the budding physicists on their thoughts/interpretations.

Check out the video after reading the article.

Is mathematical pattern the theory of everything? - fundamentals - 15 November 2007 - New Scientist
    No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

hmmm seems pretty cool to be able accurately predict the outcome of any particle interactions.

probably be hard modelling anything other than very small numbers of particles tho.

Be interesting to see what happens when they turn on the large hadron collider. that things like 30km in diameter. and apparently you can't see the curve when inside it.
    Wes

Comment

It doesn't matter how hard it is to model - if this theory produces testable predictions, particularly ones not previously made, then we have a candidate for the successor to the standard model.

It's still missing around 20 particles from what I read, but physicists have had plenty of practice at inventing new ones.

Comment

Dead link
        I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

Just had a scan read, will have a better look later.
          All I have to say is that the theory has to be beautiful. You look at the most famous equation, E=MC2, and it is simple, beautiful and elegant, just like the Universe it describes.
          Anyone else find Physics, Maths and the interaction of them like a symphony?

Comment

I have a vauge but broad understanding of physics, and strangely enough my maths improved hugely when i started taking real interest in it. I find it all so fascinating how we can pretty much describe the universe and everything in it, in a few simple (and not so simple) equations.
            I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

so thats the unification theory.. sub atomic particles in equilibrium with each other inside that geometric pattern?

cool now they have just got to find the missing 20 particles to fill the pattern. once they have that, and evidence of these sub atomic particles being born from energy then its everything.

i guess its still chaos theory which joins particle and wave theory together, chaos ftw!
              Last edited by g0zer; 07-12-2007, 11:32 PM.
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it said they DIDN'T need to make up new particles, in order for the model to fit. It was only particle interactions that were being modelled.

That was one of the main benefits over string theory. Don't need a bunch of extra particles, forces, and dimensions to make it work.

Unless I misread the article?

Comment

nah, you read it correctly, garrett's theory is a very elegant extension of the standard model, tying gravity (as well as other elemental forces) together, by attributing particles to each force, so for eg, it posits that "gravitons" and "magnetons" exist as well as a whole bunch more we have no idea about. The mapping to E8 is the particle interactions. While commonly held as a massive longshot by a lot of theoretical physiscists, it appears to have held up to initial scrutiny. Of course, it will onlt become truly viable when someone comes up with an experimental verification of everything it claims. So it's many years off being ratified if true. The LHC would have to have time dedicated to running tests for this, and IIRC it's booked out for at least the next decade.
                  "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

He's a surfie... I'm sure he could just do his tests on someone's lunch break or something...

"Aww come on man, just gimmie 5 minutes!!!!"
                    c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

nice i like it, Physics IS maths... but yeah its kool/fascinating too see numbers descipe how things work.
                      "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                      "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Maths is to Physics as intercourse is to masturbation.

You'll find that maths is simply a byproduct of the proofs that physics require. REAL physics is not about the how, but the why. Why does the universe exist the way it does. How is merely the step inbetween, used to arrive at the destination.
                        Last edited by browncow; 15-12-2007, 09:12 PM. Reason: I'm tooo dyslexic to tpye..
                        c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Originally posted by browca04 View Post
                          Physics is to Maths as intercourse is to masturbation.
                          You'll find that maths is simply a byproduct of the proofs that physics require. REAL physics is not about the how, but the why. Why does the universe exist the way it does. How is merely the step inbetween, used to arrive at the destination.
                          so intercourse is merly fancy masturbation with garnish?.... no jokes, physics is maths and that's that. but yeah i see what you're saying!!!
                          "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                          "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

No, he's saying that physics is the practical application of the tools used in mathmatics (mathematics with a purpose).

Mathematics is not physics. It is nothing more than a tool with which to examine and describe it.

Comment

Damn you!

Stupid fucking undiagnosed Sydlexia.
                              c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Working...
                              X