Data recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data recovery

A friend of mine just did a reinstall of windows xp, without re-formatting the their hard drive. What they forgot to do was back up the files that they had in My Documents. Does anyone know of a free way to restore the files if they haven't been overwritten?

Below are a couple of quotes from msn for a bit more background info.

her c drive says 35GB in use, but when I select everything inside c drive (including hidden files) it only adds up to 17GB

a bunch of things from her previous install still remain (old program files etc)

the Docs and Settings folder has a folder for her old logon name but its inaccessable and claims 0bytes content

The data is still there if not formatted. She probably can't see it do to permissions. Go to the C: in explorer, right click, properties, security, highlight administrators, and check full control. Failing that, repeat as above, but select 'advanced' button, check 'Replace permission entries on all child objects' etc and click OK.

PM me if you need help. I can remote in if you'd like.

D'Art

Comment

Data is still recoverable even if formated. Just a little harder.
      In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
      Its the little things that make the difference
      Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
      If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Cheers D'Art, passed on your suggestion, waiting to see how they go now.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
          Data is still recoverable even if formated. Just a little harder.

True, but I was trying to be simple

I once had a server loose 3 disks from a 5 disk RAID-5 set, and gave up on it. The place I worked called in some really scary, 'we don't exist' type people and they got it all back . Unbelievable.

Anyhow, back on topic.....

D'Art

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
            True, but I was trying to be simple

I once had a server loose 3 disks from a 5 disk RAID-5 set, and gave up on it. The place I worked called in some really scary, 'we don't exist' type people and they got it all back . Unbelievable.

Anyhow, back on topic.....

D'Art
            with the clean room and the removal of HDD platters. Those dudes are expensive but if the shits worth money its worth their service

Comment

why would you reinstall windows and not format your PC...

Comment

Don't ask me, it wasn;t me doing it.

If I had done it for them, i would have backed up anything worth saving.

Comment

tell your friend reinstalling XP is only going to clean windows files it dosnt get rid off old crap sitting in your computer

Comment

Working...
                  X