internet + renting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internet + renting

I'm looking at moving out of home with a few friends in the very near future, and I'm just after some info on what happens with lan/internet.
    My preference for lan is to run cables through ceilings and walls and put proper faceplates on the wall as I've done in my present house. Obviously this is out of the question in a rental house. I guess the next best thing is running cables around the edges of rooms through the house. Most owners be fine with that? This is my first adventure into the world of renting, so I've really got no idea.
    And what about internet? Do the tenants get a choice as to ISP and plans, or is it generally set and you get what you're given?

adsl with a wireless router. easy peasy

Comment

+1 for WiFi and provided you and your mates can agree on an ISP its all good.
      In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
      Its the little things that make the difference
      Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
      If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

ADSL is tied to a phone line... which you will have to do all the organisation for.

Wireless as mentioned may not be for you due to reception, but we string lan cable around the walls and behind couches etc... no troubles at rent inspection time as long as its tidy

Comment

Issues with WiFi reception? Keh? I can go to my brother in laws house three doors up and still connect to my own router.
          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Have had LAN cables running around lounge room and hallway for years where I am - property manager didn't even blink.

Phone/Internet is your responsiblity, landlord has no say in it (except possibly being able to say that you must maintain a phone connection).

Comment

I shant draw you a diagram but basically we have no WiFi reception between our router and the living room. Total deadzone

Even funnier is a mate who puts his house of for rent (1 bedroom apartment, everything WiFi, lots of open space), moves back in to his parents NEW place (2 story townhouse). Of course his parents have the phone line on the bottom floor only because the wireless phone works upstairs. So he tries to wirelessly connect between downstairs and upstairs -> no go constant fuck ups. His Mum cries foul at stringing LAN cable upstairs. Epic fail

Still stumped as to why wireless fails to get around this 1 wall in our place...

Comment

I have seen in on rare occassions but it certainly is odd. We get similar issues with wireless security devices at times. Moving them by as little as 5mm often solves the issue.

Comment

Tried that with no luck. No biggy really we work around it. And its only for the Wii

Comment

Wifi would be great, but that would entail getting wifi cards for 2 servers and 3 desktops, and it would be a pain for the xbox we use for streaming to the TV too. It's not unlikely that at some times, we're going to have streaming going on from 2 servers to 3 desktops and an xbox. Definitely prefer to go wired. Sounds like running the cables neatly shouldn't be a problem. There'll still be wireless for the laptops, but cables are going to be cheaper for the rest.

Phone/net being our responsibility is exactly what I wanted to hear. Makes it much easier on us, can get a plan that suits what we do. Could have been a painful transition otherwise.

I have wireless for laptops, wii, and a media gate in the lounge at the moment. Gets through multiple brick walls, some double (5 or 6 extensions on this place), without much of a problem. But I have seen a lot of quirky dead spots. Sometimes I think its sub-standard wifi hardware. Other times it can depend on what electrical cables are in which walls, or you can also get problems with interference from cheap electrical gear, things like improperly shielded power supplies.

Comment

u can always ask the landlord if they mind u doing the wiring through the walls. ie if u can convince them u will do it and pay for it and do a proper job, they might agree to it. ie it adds value to their house.

in short, cant hurt to ask.

Comment

go an external usb wireless adaptor..

When i was working on the mine, the donga's were metal with metal insulation stuck to the glass.. total dead in the rooms.. I ran a USB cable up the wall.. out the window - then stuck it up near the roof.. problem solved !

alot of the problem comes from substandard antenna in the laptop..
                        Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR6 View Post
                          u can always ask the landlord if they mind u doing the wiring through the walls. ie if u can convince them u will do it and pay for it and do a proper job, they might agree to it. ie it adds value to their house.

in short, cant hurt to ask.

just draw a really good wiring diagram for the owner as well if they say yes, so they no where the wires go and what for etc

nothing worse than when u leave the next person goes WTF how does this work ? and pulls it to bits and f#@$s it up for the owner.

a lecy reno'd a place i bought but did not leave me a diagram of all the crazy wiring he added, lan and phone x 2 every room, sound system wires in walls and ceilings, antenna plugs etc, foxtell "extras". took me fugging ages to figure it out lol
                          Become a venture capitalist

Kiva, loans that save lives

Comment

You could use the same plug outlet as the power, and run the cables up the wall throught he roof and down to the next power outlet cable, easy done.. Although maybe get an electricain to do it for ya, or turn the power off first...
                            Sponsored by:
                            Coote Industrial, Comleck- electrical,
                            Motorcycle Panel and Paint, Milkd

Comment

yeah I think I will ask about doing that, and mark the lan ports clearly at both ends. Although, if I have to pay to have it done, I might skip it. I can do it myself, and have done, I'm just not licensed.

Comment

Working...
                              X