What is the BEST antivirus program.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the BEST antivirus program.

As i know bugger all about this I thought I would ask the Q as have got a couple of little nasties lately...

No slagging someone elses choice just the plus points for your choice

cheers
    A site all parents should check regulary
    http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Avg...

+ points...I hardly notice it slowing my comp down and it updates itself and like nothing has got thru...

Comment

AVG. 5charfaggots.
      such comment
      wow
      many post

Comment

I like Avast.

1. Free.
        2. Picks up updates every day or two - and is blocking emails received from mates who are running McAfee or Norton (ie it knows about new viruseses before they do).
        3. It's quick - Norton on my machine absolutely crippled it, Avast takes a hit if you enable on-access scanning but nowhere near as bad.

It does _reasonably_ well with spyware but I've been infected with that shit before, the ONE time in the last year I downloaded a key generator from a warez site.

Personally I've found that the combo of the router firewall, ZoneAlarm (a freebie firewall package on the puter), Avast, Firefox and being a little cautious of where you go on the innernetz and what you download and run has worked pretty well.

Not as well as disconnecting the blue wire, of course, but getting close.
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Kasperski.....:geek:
          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
          Its the little things that make the difference
          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Unix ;-)

Symantec Corporate is pretty nice (which is what I use). Kaspersky, too. If you want something free I'd go with AVG though it's email scanner can be a bit dodgy at times and is known to cause SMTP timeouts (connection to outgoing mailserver).

Oh, stay away from Norton (other than non-norton, Symantec branded stuff) and McAfee. They're bloated and their firewalls cause so many headaches.
            Last edited by stuck; 17-12-2007, 10:26 PM. Reason: More Information

Comment

Get a mac then...
              There, said it. So get one, install Windows on it, and AVG for all da virus things.
              AVG plus points:
              1) Free
              2) Does a good job.

What more do you want?

Comment

Go to Download.com and check out what they recommend for free protection. Using one programme will leave a hole, no matter what.

A virus scanner that updates regularly would be worth paying for but there are free versions that are just as good, just w/out the bells and whistles.

I use AVG. Updates daily.
                Spybot, Zone Alarm, Online Armour and Secretmaker.

I haven't had a problem yet.
                2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                Amen, brother. Amen.
                My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Zonealarm is my sworn nemesis.

Spybot is good, however.

Comment

+1 on Avast.

Excellent program and free.

Comment

AVG is shite. memory and CPU intensive.

Avast FTW.

Comment

2 things. AVG (by Grisoft) for viruses and trojans. A-Squared (by emsisoft) for spyware (url interceptors etc)
                        Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Comodo seems preety good. They do a free firewall as well.

Comment

Which ever program you go with, go to this site and do their online check regularly. Over the years it has picked up things that my AV has missed.

And it's free

Go ahead and play the blues if it'll make you happy.

Homer Simpson

Comment

Lol, yep, *nix/OS X

Comment

Working...
                              X