Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras transmitting in realtime?

Hey guys,
    One of the projects I'm working with Rio Tinto is advanced support. One of things we're doing is hooking up a camera to a guy in the field, so someone from home base, known as the ROC (Remote Operations Centre), can see and help the guy in the field.

My question is, does anyone recommend a camera? It must be connected to a USB port, so that it can be transmitted in real time. Bandwidth isn't a problem, being 1.5Mbps. Price isn't too much of an issue as well, seeing it's simply a prototype, and they'd prefer something that works now, then waiting a while. It's currently just a crappy webcam, so any help would be appreciated.

I was looking at some helmet cams, but they usually are saved onto a hard disk, or MicroSD card first, and then you have to transfer it onto a computer when you get back.

there are a few cameras that come with http server software that allows you to point at the IP and recieve a stream through an java enabled browser. not exactly what i'd stick on a users machine, but nevertheless, it's what comes to mind.

webcam with http server - Google Search
    "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

You can use any usb/firewire camera you like. Just run VLC (VideoLan Client) and within that (free) software you can select the camera device and setup an RTSP mpeg4 stream.
      If you can... you MUST!

Comment

It absolutely has to be USB???
        In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
        Its the little things that make the difference
        Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
        If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

IP camera FTW, the factory im supporting for have a IP real time cam system like the one you see in resident evil 1 2, the quality is pretty good aswell.
          Jackie the C

I love V-twin ^^'

Comment

Ahmen... although IP camera solutions (with the exception of megapixel units) are not quite up to the image quality of their composite cousins, they're going to be more flexible than USB. The problem your going to have with anything but composite though is finding something the right size & shape, thats robust enough for the conditions.
            In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
            Its the little things that make the difference
            Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
            If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Working...
            X