help with MovieMaker/Win XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with MovieMaker/Win XP

ok, all you geeks (please) This should be relatively simple, but it isn't. After spending 5 hours straight on this task, I decided to dive into the insanity, for a while, to cool off....

I am trying to capture video(files already on JVC Everio HDD camcorder) in MovieMaker. Keeps telling me it can't see a device. I am using a USB lead, and it will grab JPEG files straight off it via adobe or the windows program, but will not recognise a video device. I tried reinstalling the camcorder software, unpugging all other USB devices, nix. Just the same error message.
    So I decide to work with files already on the computer. These are some of the ones still on the camcorder, MPEG files. Can play them thru Win Media player, etc. But try and import in MM, and it tells me file type is not supported. WTF. Help tells me that mpeg is a valid file type for MM.
    The transfer software that came with the camcorder is a video editing suite which only has the option of going straight to DVD, crappy quality on replay, which is why I am trying to capture straight from the camcorder HDD. Anyone wish to comment.?
    " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

What version of MM are you running?
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

When you reinstalled the software was the camcorder still connected to the puter, i had a similar problem, after reading manual was stated IN BOLD TEXT not to connect any devices until software has completed installation and the puter has rebooted.

Might be a little more complicated than this thou.

Comment

Can't see what version of MM, came with XP years ago and I've only just started playing with it.
        I did have the camcorder turned off during the re-instal, and re-booted, twice, ....Video capture wizard turned up for a look once, couldn't see anything, and went to the pub. The "communicating" message came up on the camcorder screen a couple of times, still didn't do it...I even tried using the PowerDVD shitware that came w/ the cc, and saved the downloads (it works into there) to hard drive, but then it tells me the format is still wrong. MPEG, but still wrong....Help is really none at all, in this case, doesn't even mention the possibility this might happen.

Comment

Just had another idea, took some video with thw still camera, tried to capture that to MM, same result. You'd think it was a USB connectivity problem, but it's fine to download jpegs....and to get the video into PowerDVD. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't uninstall PowerDVD

Comment

The version number is available in MM by clicking on help and about. Its number at the bottom of the tab and should be 2.1.x. etc...

If that number is 1.x it needs to be updated. The update is available by clicking help and movie maker online.
            In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
            Its the little things that make the difference
            Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
            If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

v 5.1, might look on the evil empire website for upgrades...ta

Comment

i briefly had a panasonic HDD cam corder, before i took it back and swapped for miniDV.

with the panasonic you had to use the bundled software package to import video to the PC, which was one reason why i hated it. I had to import it as mpeg4 (which is DVD) then convert the format into AVI using 3rd party software which is compatible with movie maker, so i could edit using movie maker. could not import directly using movie maker.

i dont know if the JVC is the same, but from what you are describing it sounds exactly the same. can browse the HDD for jpeg, but the device was not recognised by windows as a video capture device and if youidentify and copy the files direct from the camcorders HDD they arent recognised by anything.

the other reason why it was useless was it was not compatible with my R1 :p
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I seem to remember when I was playing around with MM and importing video it would only do it through a firewire port. Not sure if that was MM or the actual video camera that was the issue. Still not sure why that was the case but it certainly worked with firewire.
                  Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                    i briefly had a panasonic HDD cam corder, before i took it back and swapped for miniDV.

with the panasonic you had to use the bundled software package to import video to the PC, which was one reason why i hated it. I had to import it as mpeg4 (which is DVD) then convert the format into AVI using 3rd party software which is compatible with movie maker, so i could edit using movie maker. could not import directly using movie maker.

i dont know if the JVC is the same, but from what you are describing it sounds exactly the same. can browse the HDD for jpeg, but the device was not recognised by windows as a video capture device and if youidentify and copy the files direct from the camcorders HDD they arent recognised by anything.

the other reason why it was useless was it was not compatible with my R1 :p
                    Shite. That does rather sound exactly like it, doesn't it. Imports as mpeg2, but it isn't an mpeg2 that MM wil recognize. Sort of negates the whole HDD thing, doesn't it. And I have just ordered a new Dell laptop, for the purpose of editing while I'm in camp, with MM, of course. Double shite. Looks like I'll have to track down some 3rd party software for it...I hear what you are saying about not being compatible with bike, too--they just drop out thru vibration. Any ideas on a local supplier for that software...?

Comment

i cannot remember exactly what i was using.. i didnt spend too much time with it.

the programs in my video stuff downloads at the time are as follows

gordian knot
                      mpeg2codec installer
                      virtual dub mpeg2 build 18160
                      gordian knot rippack
                      quicktimealterantive
                      dvd decrypter

i swapped all that for Windows Movie Maker and ULead DVD Movie Factory. I use moviemaker for all editing (in AVI format to minimise quality loss) and then use ULead to compress into xvid then chuck out all the AVI files.

i think you are going to have to import using the bundled software. Then use something which can read mpeg2 and convert to AVI (i think quicktime alternative is what you need for that) so you can edit the files in moviemaker.

edit oh yeah mpeg2 it must have been not mpeg4
                      Last edited by g0zer; 08-01-2008, 07:11 PM.
                      Originally posted by Bendito
                      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Fixed...

Thanks for all that, Gozer, that was the prob... I did a search and came up with AVS4you video converter, downloaded on trial and it works, just converted to avi, imports no probs. Cost isn't too bad, $59 a year, but that gets you use of more of their tools. What a PITA--if I known that, of course, 20/20 hindsight, and all that..
                        Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X