Geek Question.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geek Question.....

My 3 month old lap top "accidently" had beer spilt over it. I managed to dry it out and save lappy's life, only my minus key don't work now (and a few are really sticky). Does anyone no if this is fixable and were do I take it. I'm not bothered if the warrenty gets voided (I'm sure the beer did that anyway).

The laptop is an LG 1.7 centrino if that helps.

Please help bring lappy back to full woring life, or i'll have to get an acrod sticker for her :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I no there is an option for an external keyboard, but that sounds painful!!!

50/50 metho and water is great for cleaning and leaves no residue, just wet a rag and try to clean the keys may help, question is though was it beer?
    Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

If u can use Isopropl Alcohol over metho it is prefered.. else you can buy replacement Keyboards for relatively cheap...
      I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and im all outa bubblegum.

Comment

If u can use Isopropl Alcohol over metho it is prefered.. else you can buy replacement Keyboards for relatively cheap...

Yep thats the stuff to use,

Probably safe to take the keyboard out first There should be some clips along the edge of the keyboard, just push them in and lift up on the keyboard with a fingernail, it should just lift out.

Then just pop the keys off by levering them off and use a cotton bud dipped in the iso to clean around and in the rubber boot.

If it's still not better after that let me know the model number and i'll see what keyboards cost.
        My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
        Motorcycle Panel & Paint
        Q-Zar Fremantle
        Rated-R Parts
        PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
        Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
        CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
        Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Cheers guys,

Where do I get Isopropl Alcohol from?

Comment

This Should do the job

Jaycar are just in Northbidge. just give them a call to see if they have some first
            My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
            Motorcycle Panel & Paint
            Q-Zar Fremantle
            Rated-R Parts
            PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
            Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
            CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
            Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

u can turn "sticky keys" on or off by hitting the "shift" key 5 times

ok ok, that was piss poor i know :shock: :oops:

Comment

Heh

yeah Isopropl alcohol has _NO_ impurities in it i think its like 98% alcohol or something? is what you use in electronics to clean contacts.. its also anti-static
                I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and im all outa bubblegum.

Comment

Iso is pretty strong stuff go easy on it because ive seen it attack soft plastics, one thing we used to do is remove the board and clean with windex (faily gentle) and wipe clean with a soft cloth make sure you remove the key board from the laptop so that there is no current going through the circuit when you apply liquid. do it sooner rather than later, i used to fix arcade machines and ive seen the damage soft drinks/beers can do to them.
                  Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Working...
                  X