Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The True Value of a Projector?

Hey all,

What I want to get a feel for is a view on the "true" value of a projector. Not the crap that the manufictionor says or the Used Car Projector Salesman Says but the honest thoughts of those who just give a f*$k

Bearing in mind a DLP Proj starts around the $2,500 upwards ... usally warranted for 3 years ...

The globes cost between $750 to $1100 ono each and only have a warranty period of 500 hours or three months.

Im wondering if there is a better, long term solution than to use a projector to a more cost effient result?

Any thoughts and ideas?

Gustav.

50 inch Plasma.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Originally posted by Deej@Jan 19 2005, 05:11 PM
      50 inch Plasma.
      [snapback]87292[/snapback]
      Yeah but plasma screens start to fade after about 5 years. There's word around that a couple of big LCD factories are coming online soon so all the LCD TV's should start dropping in price real soon. If you can wait that is.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Comment

you could go cheap and do this

projector

Comment

You can get better quality DLP's with a lamp life of up to 6000 hours for about 7 1/2 to 8k. and the,lamp costs about the same as the cheap ones.

At 6000 hours, if you watch it for 30 hoours a week, it will need to be replaced in about 4 years. much better option.

It's called a Domino 20 made by Sim2.

Comment

Originally posted by wilco@Jan 19 2005, 07:17 PM
            you could go cheap and do this*

projector

[snapback]87327[/snapback]
            HAHA I know a guy who is in the middle of making one of these rekons the one (tiny) fan that they use isnt enough.... damm thing really heats up
            "Sanity is a madness put to good use"

Comment

I&#39;ve got a LCD projector and when you are buying cheap (<$6 grand), I would recommend them over the DLP everytime.

Majority of bulbs will last beyond 1500 hours without too much trouble.

Thing to keep in mind with projectors is that they aren&#39;t really for watching GMA in the morning, it&#39;s for the big movies or playing games. With that in mind you shouldn&#39;t really be burning it for 8 hours a day.

My advice would be keep a little tv someplace for watching shite or having something in the background and only fire up the projector when you actually want to sit and really WATCH it, if you catch my drift.

In the end tho I&#39;m extremely happy with mine.

Comment

As Chris said. - a Projector usually costs about 50c-$1 per hour to watch.
                (given the high cost and limited life of the bulbs.)

You dont use it for the news and then leave it on incase anything good comes up.

I forked out $2500 on ebay for a second hand one, then lightning took it out so I got a new one under insurance. (well what they wanted to replace it with was CRAP - so I parted with another $800 and got it replaced with the equivalent.

I think it costs about $4,500.

It is a very nice toy that can be taken to friends houses.... makes great outdoor movies etc, but it is an expensive toy for the occasional use it gets.

In terms of picture quality - if you get XGA, it is still great up to about 3m picture.
                (which kicks arse out of being stuck with 50" Plasma)

The DIY overhead projector looks interesting as a cheap, but bulky and if I had the time I&#39;d try it. (Though I do have an electronics degree and have tinkered for years)
                Also noise may be a problem with this solution, coz overhead projector cooling fans sound like 747s... I guess you pay for compactness and quietness.)

my 2c.

Comment

Oh yeah... but that DIY is only if you are coming from a PC/Laptop with VGA output... no composite/SVideo/component RGB support etc

Comment

but being as it uses a tft panel you could hook up just about anything you wanted. just run it through the pc. that&#39;s assuming you have a card that supports VIVO instead of just being VO.
                    what would happen, if this were gone, would you be there, for how long. . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by scotts13+Jan 20 2005, 05:47 PM-->
                      but being as it uses a tft panel you could hook up just about anything you wanted. just run it through the pc. that&#39;s assuming you have a card that supports VIVO instead of just being VO.
                      [snapback]87571[/snapback]
                      [/b]
                      um... <!--QuoteBegin-xphread

but that DIY is only if you are coming from a PC/Laptop with VGA output
                      Then there is a need for another device (ie the PC)....
                      If you buy a projector, you can come from your PC/Laptop or DVD player/Amp...

What sort of PC and capture card do you need to get realtime video conversion pumping out 1024x768 at a decent frame rate?
                      (and that will be composite video only, not component video.)

Comment

Working...
                      X