Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max size of hard drive

hi

i have a old dell computer (666mhz) which currently has a 7gb hard drive. i was planning on getting a bigger one on the cheap but i was told by the dell techs that the biggest drive the mother board can take is 40gb (flashing the bios isnt available ). so i was wondering would a 120gb drive work (or bigger) if it was partinoned when you first set it up so each partition is no larger than 40gb, say around 35gb.

would that work?

any suggestions would be handy just remember though its on the cheap

thanks in advance
    Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Originally posted by Falcore@Jan 24 2005, 12:05 AM
    hi

i have a old dell computer (666mhz) which currently has a 7gb hard drive. i was planning on getting a bigger one on the cheap but i was told by the dell techs that the biggest drive the mother board can take is 40gb (flashing the bios isnt availableĀ  ). so i was wondering would a 120gb drive work (or bigger) if it was partinoned when you first set it up so each partition is no larger than 40gb, say around 35gb.

would that work?

any suggestions would be handy just remember though its on the cheap

thanks in advance
    [snapback]88000[/snapback]

Usually what will happen is the BIOS will report the drive as being the largest size it supports even if the drive is actually bigger. i.e. your pc supports a max of 32gb drive, you put in a 80gb drive, the BIOS will show a 32Gb drive.

I don't ever rember there being a 'Hardware' limit of 40Gb in the BIOS, there was a 33gb limit for early BIOS's so maybe they are refering to a limit on the FAT filesystem which from memory was around that (before fat32)

Comment

I used to run a 120gb hdd in my old abit bp6 board (dual 466) it was around the same era and I didnt have any problems, but Dell being Dell, im sure they can do whatever they want to make you buy the next model.

The 7-8gig restrictions were way way back in the piece when you were running old 486s, even then you could get over it with a special card (LBA??).

See if someone will lend you a drive over 40 gig and see what happens.

Comment

Yer thats a common issue in older machines and nothing new, and see's the total hardware size of the drive so you cant trick it with multiple partitions. Generally how ever the limit was 36gb, which is close enough to 40.

So what ever you put in it should generally work but will only read to 36/40gb.

Can still score 40gig drives cheap around the joints if you look hard enough

ex. tech back room monkey boy out.

Comment

Basically what everyone else has said,

There IS a limit to what older BIOS versions can support, but that doesnt stop you using bigger drives.
          The limit is the amount of data the BIOS can address. At the time that some of the BIOS (eg in a 486) were created, there was no such thing as 100GB drives, so they were never coded to handle such large drives.
          If you place a large drive (say >60G theres a good chance you wont be able to use >30GB of it, although the drive below 30GB will work fine. It just is unable to reach the rest of the hard drive to use it.

A way around this is to use a "Drive Overlay" software.
          Most of the manufacturers make (made) one freely available. You may have to search around for one nowadays, but they are still available.
          This is a little bit of software that effectivly patches the BIOS to recognise bigger drives.

Also as a side, understand the limitations of the operating systems and the filesysystem you are using as well.
          If is something like FAT 16 (say Windows 95) then the Max limit of each partition is 2GB
          FAT32 (eg Windows 98,2000 or XP)you can use up to 8GB per partition
          NTFS (eg Windows XP or 2003) up to 256TB (using a dynamic structure,ie across multiple disks or arrays)

Use Fdisk to sort out physical and logical partitions. You can also use something like partition magic as well, but you`ll have to pay to use it.

If you need any more help, just give me a shout.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by MisterP@Jan 24 2005, 12:58 AM
            FAT32 (eg Windows 98,2000 or XP)you can use up to 8GB per partition
            [snapback]88014[/snapback]
            FAT32 should have Large Disk Support and will support larger partitions.

Also with drive overlay software, i have never used it much bar like once? and it was slow as fuck. But if it gives you the space your looking for.

I still recommend 2/3 40gig Drives of your look for space.. Second Hand/New they are available.

Comment

thanks people.

i guess i will just stick with the idea of getting a 40gb drive for now (should do me for a while anyway). does anyone know where to get one as the smallest drive i can find atm is a 60gb.

again thanks everyone for your help

ps i am running xp prof on both machines.
              Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Also with drive overlay software, i have never used it much bar like once? and it was slow as fuck. But if it gives you the space your looking for.
                Never experienced the slow down myself....but then again the machines I used at the time werent exactly speedy!

Plenty of second hand computer stores around Perth. Know of a few in Ozzy park. Best bet is to look in yellow pages at computer recyclers.
                Doubt if you`ll get a new 40GB hard drive nowadays tho, but somewhere may have some in the back room somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore@Jan 24 2005, 01:30 AM
                  thanks people.

i guess i will just stick with the idea of getting a 40gb drive for now (should do me for a while anyway). does anyone know where to get one as the smallest drive i can find atm is a 60gb.

again thanks everyone for your help

ps i am running xp prof on both machines.
                  [snapback]88024[/snapback]
                  Looks like trinix still have a few 40Gb HD's in stock...give em a yell

Trinix HD section

Comment

CAD should have PSB-Scavanger tag, fucking EBAY, Local shops, wreckers... If CAD cant find it, it dont wanna be found biatch!!!!

Comment

Yep i can tell you they are still available and still current and still being manufactured.

Call PLE or Austin or Trinix.

Comment

Originally posted by subdued@Jan 24 2005, 02:24 AM
                        CAD should have PSB-Scavanger tag, fucking EBAY, Local shops, wreckers... If CAD cant find it, it dont wanna be found biatch!!!!
                        [snapback]88048[/snapback]
                        *bows* thankyou...thankyou very much

Comment

Working...
                        X