The PSB Quit Smoking Help thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by who me? View Post
    Has anyone else given up purely for someone else, more so than for themselves??
    Is is possible, or does it really need to be something you want to do for yourself?
    Years ago, I walked in from the verandah where I was having a quiet smoke to be confronted with the vision of my 5 or 6yo daughter rolling her own bit of paper.

I quit right there.

Some years later, when I was informed I was surplus to the family's requirements and asked to leave, it took all of about a week to fall back into the habit.

This time (a year and some ago) I quit for me, and now hardly ever think about it. Caved once in Adelaide during the twisties trek, haven't touched one since.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

• I tried to quit for someone else once, lasted about 2 days each time i tried. Worked out it was something i had to do for myself, told her to get fucked, if she had a problem with it then she should take up smoking!...she did

I will beat them this time. its been almost 6 weeks, still crave one a few times a day which is getting annoying, thought that would have gone by now. I also dont feel any different at all. You hear of people coughing up all the shit on thier lungs...didnt happen, things start to smell and taste better...hasnt happend, some have more enegy...nup, some breath easier...no difference. Would be nice if something, no matter how small, would change for the positive just to make it easy to see a result. Bugger it, i think i'll go for a ride .

Comment

• Went down to the doctors today and picked up a Prescription of Champix, will keep you guys posted.

Comment

• Just quit again after a 6 month relapse. I don't even like smoking the bloody things, I was only doing it because I was hooked. I won't be caving again.

48 hours into it now, cold turkey, and the hardest part is over.

Good luck Crimson.

Comment

• i have quit smoking... i have not had one for 3 weeks now and still going strong...... I had been smoking for 21 years........ the missuse smokes around me and i go off, i cant even stand the smell of it now...

Comment

• Update - been 18 months now (apart from one very unenjoyable result of circumstances and weakness in April).

On Friday, I had to have a spirometry test and chest x-ray as part of a dive medical. The doctor's comment - "you'd never know you used to smoke looking at this". Quickly followed by "erm, of course the damage will continue being repaired and will take about 18 years until you are completely clean and can relax about the whole lung cancer thing...". ouch.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

• Did the champix thing and been off them for 8 weeks now. After a pack a day for 30 years I'm happy with that. Weight is going up a bit but according to the quack thats better than smoking.

Comment

• i'm still going stong just got home from a 2.5hr boxing class, really enjoying the difference. 10 weeks for me now, have stumbled a couple of times when drunk, but thats kinda expected.... i have stopped thinking about the smokes now which is a nice weight off my shoulders.

Comment

• well its the 8th today 1 year since my quit day
                    and i am proud to say i am still not smoking and have not felt an urge well a
                    smoking urge anyway to everyone that's still trying, keep it up its well worth it breathing is really great

Comment

• giving up smoking is easy, i've done it heaps of times.

no but seriously, to all those giving up i wish you all the best.
                      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

• I am giving it another go and got onto Champix. Been on it for 2 weeks and it seem to be working. Smoking makes me ill now and i have had one pack in 5 days (used to do a pack a day) which is going in the right direction IMO

Comment

• Been off them for 4 months, put on 9 kilo's, can no longer fit into my leathers, think ill take them back up again.

Comment

• Tried zyban last year, and had weird dreams and shit, so, chucked them. On Champix february this year and havent had a smoke since...Once in a while i think, mmm a smoke would be nice now, but, it passes quickly, and i rarely think about it now..I doubt i will ever smoke again... You will know when the time is right, it will just happen one day, and you will think, ok, thats it, i have had enough and im gonna give it up, whether it is cold turkey or with some aid... I smoked for almost 30yrs, not quite a pack a day, but enough to get me wheezing, feeling so much better now..!! You can DO IT...!!!!!

Comment

• Its funny, i used Zyban a few years ago, never had a problem with them, no dreams, no side effects at all, this time i tried champix, omly took them for a few weeks, they sent me made, had really bad mood swings, couldnt sleep, threw them in the bin after 3 weeks, took another 3 weeks to start feeling normal again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                                Its funny, i used Zyban a few years ago, never had a problem with them, no dreams, no side effects at all, this time i tried champix, omly took them for a few weeks, they sent me made, had really bad mood swings, couldnt sleep, threw them in the bin after 3 weeks, took another 3 weeks to start feeling normal again.
                                Yep i can relate to the mood swings (tho mine are not too bad), no sleep for last few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X