No announcement yet.

The PSB Quit Smoking Help thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont miss it, even at $12 AUD a carton!!!

Comment

• Update: have been smoke free for over 2 months now and it feels great. Didn't end up doing the full course of champix as i was not sleeping, mind was racing couldn't get to sleep, and i didn't feel as thou if i stopped taking them that i would go straight back to smoking.
      Can sit with people who smoke and it doesn't bother me.
      I just reckon i not missing anything, should have done this ages ago.
      Now sleep has gone back to normal too = bonus
      Put on a bit more weight than i would like, oh well just gotta go for more dirt bike riding and sweat it off. Might also have to get a dog to take out on walks after/before work.
      Oh also the champix stuff comes with a website which tracks how much you have saved since you have quit and i changed the amount the pack costs today, so far i have saved over $500.

Comment

• I'm gonna give the quit another go, being admitted to hospital today for surgery means I can't smoke for a few days, hopefully it can give me the head start I need to get past the first few days.

Comment

• Originally posted by polony View Post
          I'm gonna give the quit another go, being admitted to hospital today for surgery means I can't smoke for a few days, hopefully it can give me the head start I need to get past the first few days.
          good luck

Comment

• 2 months on and smoking like usual haha. It's clear that I really struggle with cold turkey, so decided to give champix a go. Took the first tablet, and my quit date is the 8th, I will quit this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by polony View Post
              2 months on and smoking like usual haha. It's clear that I really struggle with cold turkey, so decided to give champix a go. Took the first tablet, and my quit date is the 8th, I will quit this time.
              Do it mate! I was a full on loving smoker since I was 13, even smoked when surfing once lol did everything with a smoke in my mouth haha.

I use to worry about losing a part of my personality if I gave up, because I thought it had become a part of me....if you get my drift. Anyway, because I started smoking from such a young age, I didn't realise that getting every cold or flu that went around was unusual.....I have been off the smokes for almost a year now and haven't been sick since!

I have finally been able to take up training muay thai, something I have been wanting to do for 10 years, but never had the energy, or lung capacity. It took me a while to give up smoking and occasionally I will cave and a the odd smoke when I am having a beer, but that is becoming rarer and rarer these days as I find the healthier I get the less I want to spoil it with things like cigarettes and alcohol.

I haven't put any extra weight on, because the longer I have quit the healthier I have become because the more exercise I can do. I am finally starting to see the way others have lived, and I am starting to thrive on it, instead to weighing my life down with extra burdens from an unhealthy lifestyle. Because it only leads to the overweight and puffed out middle aged man that there is no shortage of...... I believe I have changed my future, and my interest and motivation for life have started to change to suit. I gave up the smokes when I was 24 years old and felt like 40 at the time. I am now 25 and feeling younger and fitter than I did when I was 15.......

It not a quick trip to quitting and I still consider myself on the path to quitting, so don't think that overnight you will be a non-smoker, gradually try to change your whole lifestyle slowly and make sure you enjoy the benefits you receive from your new healthier lifestyle instead of dwelling on the unhealthy cravings of common peoples living habits, which will eventually lead you to becoming a common person...........it is one of my biggest fears

Good luck!

Comment

• The PSB Quit Smoking Help thread

I too used the champix and have nearly been one year smoke free.
                The main thing is you must want to give up or it will never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                BAGS
                GO HARD OR GO HOME

Comment

• I was told by the doctor I went to that they aren't allowed to prescribe Zyban any more due to too many suicides as it is meant to be an actual anti-depressant not a anti smoking drug.

I used Champix to help me quit went on them back in November last yr but I didnt quit due did cut down but then became a steam train when my dad got very bad was smoking a pack of 50 a day not good.

So I went back on the second round of Champix in January this year got to the 7th day and quit only took 3/4 of my first packet and then went cold turkey from there I couldnt handle vomiting every single day due to the tablets gave the other packet to a guy at work.

Found best thing for me was to keep away from other smokers so didnt see some of my family for 5 weeks and when I got bored and found myself thinking about a smoke I would change my thought and think of something I need to do and then do it my smoking habbit is no longer I have been with out one for 6months now and the money I spent on smokes is now paying off my car loan.

Comment

• It doesn't matter what method/product you use as long as you find a method that works for you.... zyban/champix/hypnosis/four by two behind the head. Whatever the method, much kudos to those who are/have quit.

High Five!
                    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

• Quick update, on day two of quitting. Jesus christ champix works great. I hardly want to smoke at all now, bloody magical.

Comment

• 4 months for me, not even wanting a smoke!!

Didnt think I was going to make it when on a drilling rig as always
                        plenty of spare time.

Comment

• WoW i look back from the start of this thread and it amazes me the sheer will power and determination of the people on here that are giving it a go. I am at the beginning of this thread somewhere went the champix route quit day was the 8th December 2008 today is 11th of July 2010, that's 1 year and 8 months durrie free still no urges my taste buds have regained normality my breathing is 100 times better. so keep it up peoples its so worth it in the end the benefits you will get are well worth the dramas of trying to quit

Comment

• I am at day 8 of quitting. I have never made it this far cold turkey without being forced (ie hospital). I have been in situations of alchohol and cigarettes around me while I am also drinking, and whilst it was not easy, I made it. Definitely gives me long term confidence.

Protip to anyone planning on trying champix. I've found if I have it without eating first at the full dose, I vomit. I know other people have suffered from vomiting too so try having it with meals to stop it. You probably wont have the problem until you move up to the full dose so some people don't realise it's because of an empty stomache.

Comment

• Ok So its been 7 or 8 months since i last tried to quit. Next week i will be giving it another crack I am going to try this ''Stop Smoking In One Hour'' Hypno thingy.

Has anyone tried this particular product? If that doesnt work i will give patches a go again.

Comment

• 10 years for me...and smoked for 10 years too! Never looked back, but at least twice a year I get the urge, not bad, just a niggling feeling. The benefits have been unreal!

Heard real good stuff about champix from recent quitters!

Comment

Working...
                                X