No announcement yet.

The PSB Quit Smoking Help thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've finally succeeded in quitting, I haven't had a cigarette in 6 months and 6 days. The only way I was able to quit was by changing my lifestyle around completely. I've stopped going clubbing and drinking, And have now started thinking for my future health.

Good luck to the rest of you, A life style change may be what you need too.
    Free android puzzle game
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TempleOfMedina

Comment

• Im not a smoker but has anyone ever consider the hypnosis angle?? They say a 60minute session is all it takes. And if the first foesnt work then they stick with u for free untill it does..
      Name: Chris Location: Perth Hills
      Ride: Honda cbr600rr

Comment

• great job whitenoize been nearly 5 months for me, Is still hard every day and from what i have been told will be for the rest of our lives, i know its everyones choice and all that YADA but the fact that every day i feel like i could have one makes me think " WOW" How the hell do we as a society allow this shit to be sold in shops to the masses .

The addiction alone makes me think it should be banned, I know it would just make it go underground and black market, but to still affect my thought process after 5 months concerns me.

Once again Great Job you are now part of the majority in life . and the extra cash in pocket will soon become noticeable.
        Rg 500 85
        cr 500 01
        vtr1000 sp1 00
        oto 1/8 06

Comment

• Originally posted by tactix View Post
          Im not a smoker but has anyone ever consider the hypnosis angle?? They say a 60minute session is all it takes. And if the first foesnt work then they stick with u for free untill it does..
          Yeah... if you've never been a smoker it's real easy to think people can quit. I've seen a few go for hypnosis, magic pills, patches, herbal remedies and all kinds of snake oil then go back to the durries a few weeks later.
          The only sure fire way is to want to quit, there is nothing that will stop you without a strong desire to make it happen. Then as Darkfibre mentioned, say no to the next one as the "just one won't hurt" mentality is a slippery slope back to where you came from.

Congrats to those who have quit Keep it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by dubbsy View Post
            great job whitenoize been nearly 5 months for me, Is still hard every day and from what i have been told will be for the rest of our lives, i know its everyones choice and all that YADA but the fact that every day i feel like i could have one makes me think " WOW" How the hell do we as a society allow this shit to be sold in shops to the masses .

The addiction alone makes me think it should be banned, I know it would just make it go underground and black market, but to still affect my thought process after 5 months concerns me.

Once again Great Job you are now part of the majority in life . and the extra cash in pocket will soon become noticeable.
            I find i think about it less and less each day. Ive done 50kms on a cross trainer and had fast food once since i quit, which really helps, i havent felt this good since i was a fit teenager.

Cant believe all it took was a $7 ibook by allen carr.

Comment

• Originally posted by dubbsy View Post
              great job whitenoize been nearly 5 months for me, Is still hard every day and from what i have been told will be for the rest of our lives, i know its everyones choice and all that YADA but the fact that every day i feel like i could have one makes me think " WOW" How the hell do we as a society allow this shit to be sold in shops to the masses .

I haven't thought about having one in months, and have no temptation at all to do so. Do you eat healthy and workout/keep fit/jog?
              Quitting smoking for me was about becoming healthier, and that means the rest of my life too....Though I'm sure if I got drunk then the temptation would be there, So I just don't drink.
              Free android puzzle game

Comment

• the catalyst to quit was a comp between myself and a work colleague, but i spose whatever gets you to point of quitting is good.

The competition was the reason i got through the initial 2 weeks and after that its now will power.

The addiction made me think i genuinely loved smoking ,my industry allowed me free reign to smoke as much as i wanted as well as friends to smoke with .
                20 years of smoke as much as you can , whenever you want hass been the difficult part to remove from my lifestyle
                Rg 500 85
                cr 500 01
                vtr1000 sp1 00
                oto 1/8 06

Comment

• On my 5,168th attempt to stop smoking.

"Day 3 - I hate everyone and everything.

You're all fucked and I don't know why I bother."

That pretty much sums up emotionally where I'm at today.
                  Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                  Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

• Originally posted by devolved View Post
                    On my 5,168th attempt to stop smoking.

"Day 3 - I hate everyone and everything.

You're all fucked and I don't know why I bother."

That pretty much sums up emotionally where I'm at today.
                    Oh look, conclusive proof that devolved and Desmo are twins that were separated at birth.

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

• Hey, phuck you, pal.

( the smiley is to indicate that this is a funny post and is therefore excempt from all current, past and future infractions.)

Comment

• Hey, *Fuck you, pal.

amidoinitrite?
                        Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                        Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

• Originally posted by Diesal View Post
                          Fark I feel pathetic - two days in and I'm struggling. Easier than I thought considering I have been dreading it for the 18 years I have had those nasty little fuckers in my life, yet easier than expected as I am still functioning. I'm about five seconds off scooping out someone with a desert spoon before finding a nice lil corner to rock back and forth in while sobbing like a baby. ...29 January 2012 - the best gift I ever gave to myself and my people...
                          Originally posted by Rider View Post
                          So did you go to Allan Cars clinic? How did you go? I read the book and it does help. I have tried different ways and so far Allan Car is the be3st even tho that i stared again afer a month.

I think for me the trick is to read the book wait 2 to 3 weeks and then read it again.
                          Originally posted by Diesal View Post
                          @ Rider. I went to the clinic (aka a half day session at Ossie Park Lawn Bowls). I bought and read half the book after hearing a few positive rec's. While it seemed okay and I appreciated the 'philosophy' of it, I knew that it wouldn't be enough for me and registered for the course. Attended last Sunday - I was almost beside myself with the "I will never smoke again, what will I do with myself." It is really early days - part of the reason why I post is to hold myself (publicly) accountable - so I am reluctant to comment too much atm but I can say at the time I thought ... the course was brilliant and just what I needed. Four hours of non-stop talk about smoking - the perceived 'good,' the definite bad and the confirmed ugly. Being delivered by a former smoker helped, as did the probing of 'What do you actually get from smoking?' And there was no hypnosis. There was a 'relaxation' sesh at the end but this was more of an affirmation type thing - from my understanding, the method for quitting (Book and course) is based upon Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

We had two peeps out of nine that had done the course previously and resumed smoking, but one of the guys had quit for 10 years due to the course (can't remember the span of the other one) - this was still a positive indicator for the course IMO. It is pricey - currently $550, but another peep said they spend that on ciggies in a month. And there are 'booster' sessions too that are free of charge (up to two in three months following the course); and you can get your hard earned back if you do the course and the boosters and have no success in three months. It boasts a 90% success rate too.

As I said, very early stages for me but I would recommend the course for anyone who's struggling.
                          Originally posted by Diesal View Post
                          Tried the workshop? Same method just face to face, worked for me.

One month and counting ...
                          Coming up to a year and my first smoke free New Years' in 20 years. Definitely recommend the Allan Carr course...

Comment

• 36 days smoke free now.. This time around is weird because I already feel a 'disconnect' from smoking. No real cravings, never really 'want' a smoke.. Just a non-smoker now & loving it

Also took my daughter for a walk in her pram the other day and was able to speed walk the entire time without getting puffed out (you non smokers wouldn't understand how much of a feat this is!)..

Comment

• Good work Manyak, keep at it !
                              For those who think the cravings will never disappear, don't worry because they do....It's been over 1 and a half years since my last cig and it feels like a lifetime ago now, i hate you smelly smokers !
                              Free android puzzle game

Comment

• Keep up the good work [MENTION=16344]Manyak[/MENTION]

I stopped on New Years Eve 1995...

...1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001,2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,2006....

Comment

Working...
                                X