No announcement yet.

The PSB Quit Smoking Help thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuck me! It's been over 4 years now since I quit, not one since.
    Originally posted by Abuse this
    Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

• I stoped ( I say stop as quit means you are making a sacrifice) on 23/3/2013 so 6+ months without one. Allan Carr Audio book ( I am a slow reader)

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking Audiobook | Allen Carr | Audible.com

The beast part is you do not have to stop straight away. Stop at the end of the audio program.

I have tried Champix, Hypnosis, patches etc and none if worked. Allan Carr is the man.

Good luck guys and girls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider View Post
        I stoped ( I say stop as quit means you are making a sacrifice) on 23/3/2013 so 6+ months without one. Allan Carr Audio book ( I am a slow reader)

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking Audiobook | Allen Carr | Audible.com

The beast part is you do not have to stop straight away. Stop at the end of the audio program.

I have tried Champix, Hypnosis, patches etc and none if worked. Allan Carr is the man.

Good luck guys and girls.
        Read the book. Twice. I'm still smoking, so I'm not convinced on that one...

But, after seeing some recent inspirational posts from [MENTION=7104]Desmo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16344]Manyak[/MENTION], I figure if they can do it then, well so can I. Plus I've got a couple of new motivations since last time I tried.

So, today will be my last day as a smoker.

Comment

• In January 2012 I quit smoking cold turkey, and I've just noticed this thread so I'll tell you how I did it, and hopefully it can help at least one person quit.

I was living in France at the time, but had just returned from a holiday in Perth and went through London for a few days to hang out with mates, I'm out with a good brit mate of mine and his Swedish girlfriend at a nightclub, admittedly we had all taken MDMA, so I was in a ... lets say 'receptive' state, but nonetheless I wasn't high every day after that when I stuck to having quit that night, in fact I haven't taken MDMA since either haha, anyway;

We leave the dance floor to go out and get some air, and like I always did, I lit up and kept chatting. This is when the Swedish girl (Marianne) pipes up and says. "you know what Michael, I'm going to get you to quit smoking right now", In a kind of playful tone, so I play along.

Marianne: So why did you start smoking?
          Me: Well I work at a bar, and so many of my colleagues/friends do, force of going out and standing with them on smoko's, I now smoke too.
          Marianne: So let's say next time you go out and stand with them, but don't smoke, are they still your friends?
          Me: You're making an incredible amount of sense here.

Then she goes on and says, "alright, lets try something else"

Marianne: So you're a bartender in Paris?
          Me: yep
          Marianne: how old are you
          Me: 24
          Marianne: While being a bartender have you had a girlfriend?
          Me: matter of fact I have one now, coming up on 6 months together.
          Marianne: So working so close to the moulin rouge (O'sullivans, its literally next door) and at a bar, you must see a lot of hot drunk girls.
          Me: It happens, not gunna lie.
          Marianne: So girls must, at least from time to time, try and give you their number/pick you up?
          Me: yeah it does happen generally more than once a night
          Marianne: So what have you done?
          Me: Well when I'm in a relationship, nothing, I'm a honourable guy, I've never cheated on a girlfriend and don't intend to.
          Marianne: So you can say no, to a smoking hot girl, who's drunk and easy, and wants to take you home and suck your dick, but you can't say no to a cigarette?
          Me: ..................
          Marianne: A cigarette isn't sexy, it's not hot, it can't make you smoke it, so how can you turn down a girl but not the cigarette?

I threw away the half smoked cigarette in my hand, and that was the last one I ever smoked. 25th january, 2012.

Every time I reached for one after that, her words rung in my head, and I thought to myself, I am better than this, I can say no, I've said no to temptations much easier and more rewarding and less detrimental to my health than this.

If you think about it, and have ever faced temptation like the one I describe, I hope I planted the seed in your mind, and every time you reach for one it eats away at you a little, as it did me.
          Originally posted by boeman
          Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
          Originally posted by Chuck Steak
          Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

• Hi Ben

Yes I have read the book 2 times and failed after 3 weeks.

This time I have been off for 6 + months. The trick is (IMO) to the through the program ASAP, in less then a week. I also did a lot of exercise while listening to the program. You know how you crave the smoke/nicotine?? Well instead of satisficing your craving go and punish it with intense exercise and drown it with lots of water. I feel this helped to cleanse the body of all the shit.

Anyways good luck bud

Comment

• Good luck [MENTION=27996]BenG[/MENTION]!! I don't know what the magic trick is to quit.. What I do know is to stay off, I count my 'quit days' as being from my last drag.. This ensures I don't touch smokes as I don't want to lose that progress.. May sound trivial but before I had this mindset, I was forever having 'cheeky smoke here & there'....

Comment

• I can join this club now after smoking for around 35 years
                Went to a hypnotist June 15, non smoker since.
                a bit of pain and misery but well worth it, as is the extra $400 PM,
                still getting a few cravings but manageable,
                eating a bit more crap so put on about 7KG so far, got keep a lid on that.
                National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

• Wish I could say this was my first time in this thread, but last time was an epic failure.

However, I have hit this effort of giving up the ciggies with a completely different mindset and plan on making this the last time I ever have to do this.

I am on day 14 of Champix and am currently 4 days completely smoke free. Physically I don't want them anymore, mentally I don't want them anymore. I still have the occasional thought of "smoke time" when I would normally have the "ritual" smoke (same time every day) but I'm having no problem moving past that.

Early days yet, and still have a long way to go, but Im confident that I am in the right head space to do this.

I've made a lot of changes the last 12 months. 94kg (32% bf) to 74kg (23% bf) to 83kg (19%bf). 4 nights a week at the gym with weekly increases in weight training, big changes in diet etc

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                      Is that an app?

Comment

• Nah, it's a link.
                        I'll find it for you in a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                          Nah, it's a link.
                          I'll find it for you in a bit.
                          Cheers mate.

Comment

• There's also an app for it [MENTION=11167]Rat750[/MENTION]

This is for android, but I'm sure there's an iPhone version of it as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...essationnation

And well done [MENTION=7104]Desmo[/MENTION] if I had stuck with it I'd have not smoked for 50 days, 2hrs and 1 minute and saved $1101.76. But I'm weak...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rat750 View Post
                              Wish I could say this was my first time in this thread, but last time was an epic failure.

However, I have hit this effort of giving up the ciggies with a completely different mindset and plan on making this the last time I ever have to do this.

I am on day 14 of Champix and am currently 4 days completely smoke free. Physically I don't want them anymore, mentally I don't want them anymore. I still have the occasional thought of "smoke time" when I would normally have the "ritual" smoke (same time every day) but I'm having no problem moving past that.

Early days yet, and still have a long way to go, but Im confident that I am in the right head space to do this.

I've made a lot of changes the last 12 months. 94kg (32% bf) to 74kg (23% bf) to 83kg (19%bf). 4 nights a week at the gym with weekly increases in weight training, big changes in diet etc
                              I found the first few times I tried, while I thought I was ready, I really wasnt. When I finally quit, I didnt even have "one last smoke" or anything symbolic... I dont even remember my last one as it was that uneventful... It was just my time, I guess.

Wont lie, I crave every so often and might not turn down a smoke if offered during a moment of weakness, but its well over 4 years...

Comment

• Originally posted by black500r View Post
                                I found the first few times I tried, while I thought I was ready, I really wasnt. When I finally quit, I didnt even have "one last smoke" or anything symbolic... I dont even remember my last one as it was that uneventful... It was just my time, I guess.

Wont lie, I crave every so often and might not turn down a smoke if offered during a moment of weakness, but its well over 4 years...
                                Biggest thing for me was getting over the "I am a smoker" mentality. The feeling of losing my identity. I'm 38 and have been smoking regularly since i was 16ish. It had become part of who I am. I had to get it into my psyche that - I am not a smoker. I wasn't born a smoker, it is something I chose to take up, therefor it is something I can choose to stop.

I too dismissed the symbolism this time. I just walked outside at work one day, rolled the last cigarette out of my tobacco pouch, smoked it, put the packet in the bin, walked back inside, and haven't looked back.

I have to admith the Champix are really doing their thing and so far haven't had any negative side effects from them.

Comment

Working...
                                X