No announcement yet.

The PSB Quit Smoking Help thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have just passed my 1 year mark of quitting, it was one of the hardest things I have done but it is amazing how much will power and fight you can have after finding out a family member was diagnosed with lung cancer caused from smoking.

I can't believe how much people stink from smoking, I work with the public and it's horrible when someone is standing right beside me just after they have had a smoke, it's hard to believe I used to smell like that.

I will say though that struggle is still there of wanting a smoke, but as time passes it gets less and less, I also found that I had to quit drinking alcohol as well - which I suppose is also good for my health. The biggest downside was putting on some weight, but I'll get there with that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
      After 30 years of being a heavy smoker(50+ cigs a day) I woke up this morning and decided today was the day I wanted to become a non smoker. It's only one day down but it's a huge psychological win for me because if I can do it today, I believe I can do it tomorrow.
      Okay so day 2 wasn't as easy as day 1 but I struggled through without giving in to temptation. Here's hoping tomorrow is a bit less challenging.
      Last edited by Mr Bean; 10-03-2017, 08:29 PM.
      “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

Okay so day 2 wasn't as easy as day 1 but I struggled through without giving in to temptation. Here's hoping tomorrow is a bit less challenging.
        Smoked nearly a packet and a half of 50g rollies a week mate and smoked for 30years. Tried everything to quit and just failed every time until I listened to the audio book 'Allen Carrs easy way to stop smoking". I knew by the end of it (6hrs) I was a non smoker and have never had even the slightest urge to smoke since.

Fantastic book and if the Government was serious about wanting people to stop smoking, it would be handed out instead of BS nicotine replacement products.

Don't struggle with stopping [MENTION=27425]Mr Bean[/MENTION], you can get the audio cd or paper back FREE from your local library or purchase it cheap as an ebook online.
        3 out of 3 people I have referred to this book have read it and never smoked again. It is amazing but simple, no scare tactics just get walked through from the beginning why you started smoking to today, the day you stop smoking.

Most smokers think it is a struggle to stop, too hard and that you will always be hanging for a ciggy and it is total BS.

You just need to be shown the correct way.

Comment

• Thanks [MENTION=75619]Smithee[/MENTION]. Unknown to me a good friend of mine has already ordered a copy for me and I look forward to reading it.
          Day 3 and still cigarette free with a refreshed positive attitude.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=75619]Smithee[/MENTION]. Unknown to me a good friend of mine has already ordered a copy for me and I look forward to reading it.
            Day 3 and still cigarette free with a refreshed positive attitude.
            Well done Ray, giving up the smokes is one of the best things you can do for yourself. one day, one week ,one month...All the best

Comment

• Cheers [MENTION=31717]Bern[/MENTION] and thanks for the words of encouragement. Day 4 and it just gets easier. I'm not even feeling the need to chew gum anymore. I've got this.

Comment

• Yes, it is only 4 days of withdrawl and getting thru day 6/7/8 etc helps.
                If taking a nicotine supplement, treat it the same way. Allow 4 or 5 days of no nicorettes and smoke.

I hope it goes well.
                The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                  Yes, it is only 4 days of withdrawl and getting thru day 6/7/8 etc helps.
                  If taking a nicotine supplement, treat it the same way. Allow 4 or 5 days of no nicorettes and smoke.

I hope it goes well.
                  That's the thing, I no longer feel like I'm being deprived of anything or that I'm making a sacrifice and when I talk about gum I just mean plain old normal sugarless chewing gum. No patches, tablets or anything but the decision to become a non smoker. I don't need cigarettes and I enjoy being a non smoker.

Comment

• The longer you resist.. The Prouder you should feel

Go and reward yourself with something nice with the money you save.
                    What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

• Day 10 today and still going strong. I have the occasional thought about having a smoke but my decision not to quickly overrides it. I even had a glass of red wine around some friends who were smoking and all I could think was I'm glad I'm not a slave to those things anymore. It didn't bother me and it definitely didn't make me want one.

Comment

• Just thought Id post an update and say day 24 today and still smoke free. It's been a very stressful week for me and I reckon if I was going to cave it would have been sometime during this past week.

Comment

• Freck'n awesome !!

Just remember smoking doesn't help stress at all. Smoking actually creates stress by feeding an addiction that will never be satisfied.

Your not just "Smoke free" Mr Bean, your a non smoker now and you haven't realised it yet.

Comment

• ^^^^^^^^

What he said... And to relieve the stress, go buy something nice for your ride, with the money you have saved. Win Win
                            What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

• I almost can't believe today marks 5 months cigarette free. It's definitely been one of the most difficult things I've ever done but I'm glad I took the steps to give up those filthy things.

Comment

• Good on ya mate, well done. I gave up many times before I finally gave them the boot for good - that was about 15 years ago. One of the worst things about giving up is smelling someone who's just had a smoke come in and sit next to you - yuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X