Private health care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private health care

I'm curious about getting private health care to alleviate the cost of alternative therapy. I'm 20 and currently can't afford to pay what some people are asking for appointments, although I desperately need them. Will private health care ease the cost? Is it beneficial in the long term or short term, etc.?

Cheers.
    Originally posted by redfern
    If its good enough to carry missiles is safe enough for you bike.

No, it just means you pay some of the cost of the 'alternate therapies' and you pay for health insurance as well.

Different levels of insurance cover different things. It's cheaper than paying the medicare levy surcharge anyway.

Comment

If you've got pre-existing health conditions which create your requirement for the therapy, it is unlikely that any Private Health Cover would provide assistance.

Would it ease the cost? Depends on the provider and the plan you sign up for.
      Looking at something like iSelect, and comparing plans and your requirements would provide more benefit to you than asking a bunch of random people.

Comment

What sort of alternative therapy you talking about??

Do an internet search of all the main funds and check out what they offer, that is the quickest way to find out, then call them if you find one suitable

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
          No, it just means you pay some of the cost of the 'alternate therapies' and you pay for health insurance as well.

Different levels of insurance cover different things. It's cheaper than paying the medicare levy surcharge anyway.
          So basically, 'no'?

From reading some info on iSelect, it seems that I'll already pay the %1.5 levy, but not the extra %1 that is for high income earners (I'm a uni student).

Originally posted by mark_r View Post
          If you've got pre-existing health conditions which create your requirement for the therapy, it is unlikely that any Private Health Cover would provide assistance.

Would it ease the cost? Depends on the provider and the plan you sign up for.
          Looking at something like iSelect, and comparing plans and your requirements would provide more benefit to you than asking a bunch of random people.
          Cheers, will check that out.

Edit: I selected alternative/natural therapies as a "must have" and the resulting plans/policies all hover around the $58.50 per month range. Over 12 months, that's roughly $700 I'd pay. If I pay that, I don't pay the medicare levy, correct? So wouldn't it be cheaper than not getting private health insurance?

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
          What sort of alternative therapy you talking about??

Do an internet search of all the main funds and check out what they offer, that is the quickest way to find out, then call them if you find one suitable
          There's a lady that does several different things - from Diet and Nutrition to Neuro-linguistic programming, Hypnosis, Reiki, etc...

Thanks, will do.
          Last edited by Mybowlcut; 28-07-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

You still pay the Medicare Levy, you just don't pay the extra if you earn lots, but then again if you don't earn enough I think you don't pay the Medicare levy, never been in that bracket, so not sure!!

Why so many different modalities???? Why not pick one at a time and see if that works for you, depending on what is actually wrong with you

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
              You still pay the Medicare Levy, you just don't pay the extra if you earn lots, but then again if you don't earn enough I think you don't pay the Medicare levy, never been in that bracket, so not sure!!

Why so many different modalities???? Why not pick one at a time and see if that works for you, depending on what is actually wrong with you
              Haha I'm not gonna do of all them. I think we sit down and figure out which route to take after examining my situation and all that stuff.

Edit: Annual limit for the plan I'm considering is: a combined maximum of $400 per person... would that mean $400 worth of rebates ($25 rebate for each selected therapy)? I'll ring them tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X