Spearguns/Spearfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spearguns/Spearfishing

Anyone here have any guns or experience?
    Plan on getting one when the tax cheque comes back, the amount of Coral trout, Bluebone etc etc that I see when I go snorkeling is too good to pass up.
    Anything I should look out for when it comes to a gun? Obviously cheap shit is shit.
    Cheers

We used to do a bit of this off Big Wave in Cevantes, dont remember the brand names but do remember not to go for the biggest fish when they have the power to drag you along if you miss hit them.

Something similar to this:

Comment

For the sake of making an obvious statement to be on the safe side, even though Im sure you're aware.

Most of that area spearguns are banned.

But again Im sure you are aware just thought I should mention it just in case.
      My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Especially for your first gun, avoid the air powered ones like the plague.
        They must be carried loaded and are easy to unload (eg into your foot).
        They must be serviced regularly and you'll struggle to find a service tech.
        Blah blah blah.

Get a good old jelly rubber one, much simpler and safer (and a big strong fella like you should have no dramas loading it). Also, don't keep your catch at your side. Especially up there. Get a tow-float, get a decent length of line and a catch bag to hang from the float, that way when Bruce comes sniffing for the blood he doesn't include Jim in his by-catch...
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
          Most of that area spearguns are banned.
          Some areas, the Gulf you are pretty much clear.

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
          Get a good old jelly rubber one, much simpler and safer (and a big strong fella like you should have no dramas loading it).
          Yeah, I see nothing wrong with the Jelly ones, it's what I'll be getting.
          Apparently you only need to worry once the Noahs get up to around 7 feet or so in length.
          Just stab them in the nose apparently, they are everywhere up here.

Comment

Hey Jim,

If you are using it around reef, get smaller than a 1100 if using a rubbergun and if using it for more open water use a 1100 or bigger. Rob Allen make some beauties ( I have a 1100 Tuna ). Make sure you get a float to tie your gun too as the big blues or trout will drag you around. I went without one the first time I tried mine out and will never do it again up here Surprising how far down a big macky or trout can drag you........

You can change the shaft size to an extent as well depending on what you are going to be shooting with it.

Forgot to say - shark shield. A bit of piece of mind. 6-10 foot doesn't sound real big but you shit your pants when they get close underwater.

Comment

Awesome info mate, thank you.
              As I say, this is all new to me so I have no idea how the strengths are rated, what floats are for etc etc.
              If I can blast a 10Kg fish for supper, I'll be happy

Comment

Plenty of areas to spear in Exmouth, just pop down to fisheries office (friendly young chick in there btw) and get the lowdown on what you can and can't do.

Gulf is the only place you can spear the residentials (bluebone, coral trout like you mention) It's cold as perth water in there, there's not much coral to look at outside the sanctuary zone and you'll soon get bored and feel guilty shooting trout -its like shooting a tame cow.

Off the west side you can't spear res. species but you can spear pelagics (mackeral etc) and that's where the fun is at, so my advice is don't fuck around with a little gun to start with- get a 1.8 or similar, definitely rubber to start and anything other than a sea hornet is fine. Some will say that is too big for poking under bombies etc but you will appreciate the power even on a fat, slow coral trout- nothing worse than slipping out due to lack of penetration... Also watching a big mackie swim away because your stubby little gun only has 2m range is very painful.

Captain Starfish I beg to differ on the shark issue- spear with a buddy and keep your catch with you while he watches your back on the way to the boat. Two blokes can easily intimidate reefies and bronzies that would sneak in and steal it if you let it dangle off on a rope. If a tiger comes you'd be fuct either way I imagine- I just try not to think about them.

Enjoy, but be warned- line fishing is now just a drinking excuse since I found spearing 3 years ago- boring as hell.
                Last edited by dirt_infected; 28-07-2009, 09:53 PM. Reason: Someone else made a suggested a shark shield- wanted to make it clear I wasnt disgreeing with them.

Comment

Yeah, Renae in the office, VERY nice young girl.
                  I'm not really into the spearing for a sport as such, more to catch a feed, line fishing still has it's place. (But yeah, beers and a smoke with the boys).

Comment

if you think only 7ft noahs will do you any harm you live in a dream world... a 3ft noah will still have a go at you.....good luck hitting them in the nose as the can swim/move around in the water as if you are stuck in jelly......

as for different guns...just go look at them as even different brands of jelly rubber work differently.....and after you spear your first fish.... a rope to the bag of at least 10ft is worth it......cause if the noahs do swim from the front at the fish then like all creatures they can get distracted..... and dont go spearing with girls at the angry time of the month... might be cliche but still true...... your kid still needs a dad

ps
                    not done any recent diving but have done a shitload ( 100's ) of dives and been in the waters up there....since the trawlers are not permitted to kill the noahs they have only got bigger
                    A site all parents should check regulary
                    http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Already had a run in with a couple of sharks, they are pretty well fed up here and don't seem to regard you as food.
                      And I try to keep away from women full stop at least once a month.

Comment

so in that big house of yours you have somewhere to put Sal for a week
                        A site all parents should check regulary
                        http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

The rope idea is great for safety, and I guess its sensible if you're by yourself, but...

Last time I was up there (3 weeks ago), diving off tantabiddi in around 9m off the back of the outer reef, there were that many sharks (multiple small white tip reefs and the odd bigger (5-7') bronzies) it was ridiculous. Everytime we moved to a new spot they just hovered in, keeping just at the edge of peripheral vision, trying to sneak up behind. Only way to keep a fish was to spear, grab as quick as possible and swim it back to the boat- if we let them dangle on a line we would have lost every single one.

Comment

Yeah, a few of the boys at the pub go spearing, and they reckon the best thing to do is hit them, swim down and grab your fish then straight back in the boat.
                            Takes some balls but apparently the sharks don't go for the fish if you have it.
                            You come up here often?

Comment

try to get up a couple of times a year, when funds are short we usually only make it to shark bay though. One of my mates is about to move up to Exmouth so I'm looking forward to bludging off him.

Speaking of the pub, did you know a bloke working at the bottlo called Haydn? Used to go to uni with him before he moved up there- think he may have moved on now though

Comment

Working...
                              X