Camera upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera upgrade

Hopefully someone in the know will throw some decent food for thought in here, coz I'm a little stuck.

I currently shoot with a Canon 20D through mostly L glass, and I'm reasonably happy with the result most of the time. But it's toy time.

I've been umming and ahhhing about a 5D mk II for a while, but it's pricey and after hiring one for a weekend for a shoot and playing with it, it didn't feel _that_ awesome.

Opportunity has arisen to pick up a Canon 1D mk II at a fairly good price (about half the going rate for a 5D mk II). Not full frame, but not the 20D's 1.6 crop either (this is a 1.3). Not the megapickles of the new 5D (it has 8.5 instead of 21) but bullshit fast at 8fps, incredibly accurate autofocus, great options in metering, the full feature set and controllability of a 1 series and the dual memory card facility blah blah blah.

nnnnnng. now what?
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Is'nt full frame what your chasing for most of your photography work?
    Especially when your getting into larger size prints.

8fps is great for doing action stuff but would be better suited with 1.6mag to enhance the telephoto. Nothing wrong with the 1D mkII, I just don't see it being the camera for studio/portait work compared to a 5D.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
      Not the megapickles of the new 5D (it has 8.5 instead of 21)
      Hasn't the quest for megapickles caused some issues with quality, noise and chromatic aberration?

Comment

my olympus has 12. doesn't sound like a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
          Hasn't the quest for megapickles caused some issues with quality, noise and chromatic aberration?
          Yes, Hence manufacturers going to full frame sensors now with the higher megapickles.
          Big pickle on small area = mess
          Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Explain full frame sensors?

Comment

I just deleted a very informative short video about Camera Sensors.. Crap.

Will see if I can find it again
              http://www.insearchofacocktail.com - Check it!

Originally posted by lee
              how is that erotic? that's some chick laying on a towel on the floor with her hand down some where's wally knickers with preposterously sized fake cans and shaving rash around her hooch.

Comment

CS: Hewie just picked up a 2nd hand one so would be the perfect person to ask about X0D vs 5D vs 1D.

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                Explain full frame sensors?
                http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedima...on_CMOS_WP.pdf
                sigpic

Comment

hewie picked up a 1DmkIII, not a mkII.

Simon, if this is Bryan's 1D, I just printed some action (car sports) photos from it, and they came crystal clear, stunning shots on A3 size. it might be less mega-pixel, but the quality is awesome.

i'd prefer printing files from a 1DmkII 8mp over something like a 15mp 50D anyday. having seen the output from different cameras and styles, i reckon the quality of the 1D outperforms the higher MP new cameras hands down.

and the 8fps is stupid quick!

Comment

Ya, is Bryan's - I'm going to borrow it for the weekend and have a comparison against the 20D and my memories of the 5D. Understand where you're coming from Brougham and it doesn't surprise me - the 1D is the flagship of their DSLR range for a reason even if this one is getting a bit geriatric. The only reason I'm stuck is that the 5D2 is getting such fappage at the moment, wondering "better" or not!?

Sam - full frame would be nice. I've been convinced that the older 5D will only be frustrating because they're extremely sloooow. 1.3 crop is an improvement, don't know if it's "enough". I know what will happen next, though, when the 1Ds MkIV comes out - a "5D MkII or 1Ds MkIII" thread will appear

Desmo: "crop sensor" refers to sensors in dslrs which are smaller than a 35mm negative. A 1.6 crop sensor is 5/8ths the size of a 35mm sensor, this one is 1/1.3rd, a 'full frame' sensor is the same size as a 35mm neg. The "1.6" refers to the fact that the images appear as if you'd shot them with a lens 1.6x the focal length, because of the cropping of the image.

More pixels or bigger sensor - these point and pray jobs with 12mp have tiny sensors, it means that every individual pixel is much smaller than a pixel on the sensor of an 8.5mp 1.3 crop camera. Who cares? Well, the bigger the pixel the better the signal to noise ratio. Which makes for a much clearer image, especially in lower light conditions.

The 5DmkII has an awesome reputation for lower light (the sensor technology improvements have overtaken the simple size improvements for SNR, the noise reduction filter algorithms are better, blah blah blah) in the higher ISO settings but I've realised my general approach to this is now "shoot it in 100ISO. If you can't, then GET MOAR LIGHT!!1!"
                    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I use the canon 40D - and love it - if you want to borrow it to have a play your more than welcome. Bit of an upgrade from the 20D, but nowhere near as impressive as the 5D.

You can always buy the 5D and when you dont like it swap it for my great awesomenessly coolest 40D. I would let you. Im that kind of guy.

Comment

Hmmmm 1D3 ... 10 FPS goodness.

What aspects made it "it didn't feel _that_ awesome."
                        Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

D700 12.1MP FF CMOS

the difference between my D80 which is crop factor of 1.5 and 10.2MP and D700 which is FF and 12.1MP is huge in low light situations
                          even at iso 1600 the image is still really nice whereas my D80 looks pretty average.
                          Plus i can use the battery grip with the battery from the D3 and get the frame rate up to 8.5 a second!

I'd ask what your doing more of?

For studio stuff with lots of light get the 5D for sports and action get the 1D MkII

But then again your already using L glass so you gotta ask yourself how much is the body going to do for your type of photography and is it worth it spending the extra grand or so
                          Wes

Comment

is the 5DmkII or 1DmkII/mkIII worth a grand or so over a 20D?

definitely. _especially_ with L glass.

Comment

Likefry - Hmmm yes and no.

Nate - Agreed.

At the end of the day ... I look at it like this ... will the 5d2 let me get shots that a 1d cant. Yes it will ... is the reverse true ... not so much ... therefore its worth it to me.
                              Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Working...
                              X