High CPU overhead when transferring over wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High CPU overhead when transferring over wireless

Lately I've been moving large files over the wireless network from my Laptop to the HTPC.

When I start the transfer I get quite a high CPU overhead (60-90%) and a poorly responsive system. It's a Core2 system with 2GB of RAM so it seems a little bit taxed considering it's a reasonably fresh XP install.

The laptop has an Intel 3945ABG card and uses the drivers that Dell provides, and the PVR is hooked up with a wired 100Mbit link.

Any ideas on why this would be happening, or is it a standard behavior for large wireless transfers?

Jon grab Process Explorer

Process Explorer

This will let you see what is going on in terms of CPU usage more clearly

Now, double check that the drives are not running in PIO mode, that'll suck down the CPU

Then uh yeah, try reproducing the issue then see what is going on (virus scanner going ballistic in the background?)

Comment

It's about 40% explorer.exe and 40% Deferred Procedure Calls in terms of CPU usage.

Can't find a PIO option for the drivers.

Comment

is your laptop an asus WL600 just wondering because i am picking you up on my
        n95

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
          It's about 40% explorer.exe and 40% Deferred Procedure Calls in terms of CPU usage.

Can't find a PIO option for the drivers.
          Explorer?!?! Thats a UI issue then... how odd

As for the PIO option, I mean on the hdd's themselves

Device Manager -> IDE/ATAPI/thingy controller -> select a channel -> properties

Comment

What if you use the HTPC to pull the files off the laptop, same issues?

Comment

Try turning off wireless encryption (WEP/WPA/etc) and seeing if it makes a difference. Maybe if the wireless card/chip is off loading that task to the main CPU you'd see what you're seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by goof View Post
                Try turning off wireless encryption (WEP/WPA/etc) and seeing if it makes a difference. Maybe if the wireless card/chip is off loading that task to the main CPU you'd see what you're seeing.
                That overhead should be minimal especially on a core 2 duo. Explorer.exe getting pegged is what seems more troubling...

Comment

Tried a different Wifi driver?

Comment

Try using another app to do the transfer, not drag 'n drop. I like AllwaysSync for keeping my media collections sync'd up, but anything would do it. Explorer can be buggy especially the XP (no SP) version. Or even robocopy.

D'Art

Comment

Explorer.exe sees high useage when doing the Drag and Drop from the Laptop
                      System sees high usage when doing the same action (same copy direction) when doing the transfer from the HTPC (HTPC CPU usage is 1% max during copy).

Have installed latest drivers from Intel, but only one part was updated.

Have disabled AVG/Firewall etc, but doesn't make an impact.

Will dig out a patch cable and see what happens if doing a wired transfer.

Comment

Have you tried a robocopy instead of a drag and drop?

Comment

40% DPC 40% ROBOCOPY.EXE when copying through Robocopy.

Robocopy just about brought the PC to a standstill during the copy.

Have updated everything I can think of in terms of drivers and don't seem to be getting any joy...

Also get high CPU use when downloading from the net through Chrome and IE8/MS Update.

Comment

No word if the hdd's are running in PIO mode or not?

The high CPU when downloading is a worrier also, I am hedging bets on the network driver

Comment

No options for PIO in the BIOS on the laptop.
                              A file copy on the HDD only gives 15-25% CPU use (still high for DMA tho?).

Using a USB Wifi stick & drivers yields the same results as the internal WLAN.

Will give the patch cable a turn today and see if that happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X