Windows XP 64bit Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP 64bit Pro

Any ideas who would still be selling it off the shelf?

Or where else I might be able to purchase it?

I want a legit copy (most stable and best performer for video editing) but obviously it's pretty darn old now.

Tried Win7 RTM or RC yet? x64 version seems very good...

Comment

I thought you could only get it from OEM's now?

Not quite on topic I will second with "just use vista64 or win 7 64" for 64bit needs

Comment

Austin computersProduct List

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2c English 1PK CD OEM $229

Comment

Yeah I've tried WIN7 64 but not enough.
          It seems to be released in the US now I think - full version.

I did some searching around a month or so ago and XP 64 was still getting a good wrap.

Might have to do more research.

Thanks Roady.
          Last edited by Rhino; 01-08-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I has one available
            .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

If you installed a pirate copy, wouldn't Windows Genuine Advantage bitch about it and suggest you buy a licence on line, thereby making it legit? Just a thought.

Comment

Can u still download XP 64 from the Microsoft website?

Comment

Not sure Goof. I don't *think* it gives you the opportunity to purchase.

I've tried downloading direct from MS before (software locker or something) but during the process it mentions that it is only for US residents

I'll keep looking. Direct would work out to be about $50 cheaper if they'll actually allow it outside of the US.

Comment

AFAIK: XP is only available for volume license customers, or as a downgrade. i.e., you buy Windows Vista or Windows 7 and get a downgrade license (though i'm not sure you can do that retail).

Extended (ie, support agreement customers only) XP support (both 32 and 64 bit) ends in 2010, any particular reason you need XP?
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

The last time I researched, XP seemed to perform the best for video editing. Good use of RAM, didn't take much just to power the OS.

Having a look around yesterday, Vista 64 is now getting a good wrap but that's with quad or I7 CPU which I don't have. I've only got 4gb of RAM so XP would give me the best head start.

Comment

4gb is plenty for Windows 7 dude.

They've moved much of the video display out of main memory and soley into video memory, so you get a fair chunk of RAM back that you lost going to vista.

Its not quite out (to buy, retail) yet, but you can still download the RC if you want to give it a shot and see how it performs for your application(s) - for free, before spending...

I'd just seriously think twice about spending money on XP at this late stage of its life.

Any half recent CPU (eg, first generation Pentium 4 onwards) will not have a problem with 7 so long as you have enough RAM...
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Yeah I've got the RC. Had a few problems with it but honestly haven't been able to dedicate a lot of time to testing / playing. I'm normally in Vista working (no play time).

My other drive will be a dedicated rendering system.

I went through and did some tweaking last night (Win7) to lean it out even more.

I have Core 2 duo, 4 gb RAM, and an 8600GTS (256mb).
                          Should be orrite I guess, or even go up to 8gb of RAM.

Comment

^^ yeah, ram is cheap these days.

A few quirks are ironed out in later builds than the RC, but by and large i've found that its compatible with basically anything vista is.

RAM is so cheap now (something like 50 bucks for 2gb last I checked) so yeah I'd certainly bump ram up rather than go for XP.... so long as your board supports it.

Comment

I tried W7 again last night.
                              Boot, open Adobe After Effects, create a composition, go to insert a file... crash.
                              Doesn't get much 'simpler' than that. And VERY little software installed in that OS.

AE has always been problematic on my PC though But does seem to be more stable on Vista(x86).

Might also try better quality RAM than what I have when I get more. Can't even remember who makes what I have. From (dodgy) memory, noone I've heard of before. Which is a bit unusual for PLE.

Comment

Working...
                              X