Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSB'ers +50 years old ... How many $$ do you need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSB'ers +50 years old ... How many $$ do you need?

I'd be interested in peoples ideas as to how much you need in your savings/investment/super accounts to step out of the professional salaried slave rat race at about 55-57.

So the question is:

If you have no debt and the house/cars/bikes all paid off, what do you think your investment portfolio should be worth to stop working for "the man"

Consider that some income would be earnt doing a bit of ad hoc consulting/training work.

I did the "How long am I going to live" test at findyourfate.com ... the Grimreaper comes to get me on the 16th March 2042 ... that'll make me 87!

Scott
    I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
    2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

50-57?

thats too early to be thinking of kicking back!

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

1m

i'll join you soon
      q
      bevel drive, belt drive, desmoquattro, testastretta, desmosedici....an evolution
      -> Triumph 675, a revolution and obsession
      __________________________________________________ _________________________

Comment

Something I have been avoiding, thanks!!!!
        I have had 2 plans before and threw them both out the window as life had major upheavals.
        I will try and ignore this question for a bit longer, ta.
        I live in my own little world, but it's OK they know me here

Comment

.. mate of mine is working on $100k p.a. passive income from investments
          .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Originally posted by smeghead View Post
            .. mate of mine is working on $100k p.a. passive income from investments
            ok ... so you would probably need about $1.5M of capital to generate 30 years of that income?

Scott
            I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
            2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

.. as he is looking primarily at property I think he said $5M+, if he changed to a mixed portfolio he could prob get a better return but then his risk would be greater; also important to have the correct mix of property, some for capital growth & some for income. This also assumes that he isn't going to consume his assets as he gets older which would also affect the portfolio size.
              .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

retirement is for softies, go Hard or move into a gestapo led retirement waiting station for the grim reaper final run.
                Get a new bike, a new girlfriend and go MAD!

Comment

AAhhh retirement. Probably keep working part time (40 hours a week). You will need at least $1.5 mill as the health system gets more overloaded and costs are put back onto a user pays system, public servants retire on their pensions that will come from consolidated revenue (taxes) and population growth dwindles.
                  They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
                    50-57?

thats too early to be thinking of kicking back!
                    No way! I'm looking at retirement and I'm thirty.

Comment

Joking aside - I reckon my generation will be the first no-retirement group through the system... it isn't legal for an employer to discriminate on the basis of age, compulsory retirement isn't legal anymore; retirement is now optional and will soon be a thing of the past - except on the basis of health-failure - which will just be treated as sickness.

Comment

Originally posted by The Faz View Post
                        No way! I'm looking at retirement and I'm thirty.
                        +1 ....no such thing as "too early" to retire!

Comment

10m NA - 1 in Super .... the rest in accessible funds/property/shares

55 - 57 .... bullllshhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

that'd be nice.

Comment

at least a couple of million to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X