CHDK - Canon P&S Camera Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHDK - Canon P&S Camera Hack

Anyone use this? Looks to have some great features.

I have installed it on my S2 IS and just starting to look into the huge amount of options/features. very interested to see how RAW files come out, auto bracketing and even the motion sensor trigger.

CHDK enhances the capabilities of your camera in a non-destructive, non-permanent way.
    After loading of CHDK program your camera will have the following extra functionality:
    Shutter-priority (Tv) exposure - via shutter value override feature
    Aperture-priority (Av) exposure - via aperture value override feature

Shooting in RAW, with
    RAW Average, RAW Sum, and RAW Develop features

Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)

Zebra mode (a live view of over and under-exposed areas of your picture)
    Depth-of-field (DOF)-calculator, Hyperfocal-calculator with instant Hyperfocal and Infinity focus-set, and more
    Battery indicator
    RAW and Video space-remaining gauges with custom low-limit alerts
    USB cable remote shutter release
    Motion-detection trigger - automatically fires camera on motion detection. (Fast enough to capture lightning strikes.)
    Customizable high-speed continuous (burst)

Shutter-based (Tv), aperture-based (Av) and ISO-based exposure bracketing (unlimited shots)
    Focus bracketing (unlimited shots)

99 constant bit-rate and 10 constant-quality video compression levels
    Elimination of 1 Gig video-size limit
    Zoom during video function (for cameras without this feature)
    Shutter, Aperture, and ISO Overrides
    Ultra-long shutter speeds - up to 64 seconds
    Ultra-fast shutter speeds - up to 1/10,000" and higher
    High-speed Flash Sync at all speeds up to 1/64,000 second (even faster in some cameras)
    Custom user-editable visible Grids for framing, cropping, and alignment

File browser

Text reader
    Calendar
    Games
    Fully customizable CHDK display, info placement, user-colors, fonts in menus, etc.
    Custom CHDK
    User Menu (for instant recall of up to 10 favorite functions)

Scripts execution - including exposure bracketing, focus bracketing, intervalometer, etc

Have been using it on my A570IS underwater rig for over a year now. Awesome. Just upgraded recently to get DNG output instead of the weirdarse raw format that none of the Adobe software recognises.

Mint. And non-invasive on the camera AFAIK. Well, when I put in the wrong SD card (the one without the CHDK installed) I just get normal camera behaviour. Only downside - don't format the SD card, and remember to empty the rubbish bin on the computer
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

They have almost every model of Canon IXUS listed except for the 85????

nooooooooooooooo

more digging around, SURELY they have it.... this looks awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
        Only downside - don't format the SD card, and remember to empty the rubbish bin on the computer
        Huh? What am I missing about the recycle bin???

Comment

I wish people wouldn't post using black text.

Comment

This looks cool if it works. The example pic is not great.

DoF Stacking - CHDK Wiki

Comment

Kingy - normally I take photos, copy them all onto my computer, format the card. Can't do that now coz the format would remove CHDK. So I delete the images directory. If you don't forget to empty the recycle bin (well, the mac equivalent) though, it doesn't free up the space on the card. Get to 25m on the next dive, take 3 photos and "card full" SHIT!!!1!

Lesson learnt
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Working...
              X