Help - Can't reconnect to home network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Can't reconnect to home network

We security-enabled our home network last night and then I couldnt reconnect my laptop - we seemingly tried everything and after about an hour the guy from iinet gave up saying its my (3 year old Sony Vaio) laptop's fault. Anyone had anything similar happen? Any advice welcomed.
    Originally posted by lee
    motherfucking *facepalm* at half the stoopid motherfuckers in this thread not getting the point

What is "security-enabled"?
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

does you router have a "reset" button. Mine does, takes it back to the defaults. Never done the wireless thing myself, but at a guess perhaps you got the key wrong?
      Dead Man's Hand
      Internationational Porter Protection Group
      Just call me Pat

Comment

Originally posted by merctom View Post
        What is "security-enabled"?
        So only authorised users can access our home network.
        Originally posted by lee
        motherfucking *facepalm* at half the stoopid motherfuckers in this thread not getting the point

Comment

But what did you do?

Did you enable a password on the network?
          Did you enable MAC address filtering?

Comment

iiNet should only be advising customers to enable WPA or WPA2 encryption.

What modem/router and what's the exact model of the laptop?

Comment

You'll need to provide some more information.

1. What operating system is on the laptop?
              2. What type of encryption are you using? WPA? WPA2? WEP?
              3. Are your drivers for the laptop network card updated so that it is able to recognize the encryption type you enabled? Some older cards cannot recognize WPA2 etc.
              4. Did you reset the laptop after setting up the network? Simple little thing but it solved the same kind of problem with me before.
              Nothing from something.

Comment

also reset all your modems and routers that what we do
                up plug for ten seconds then plug back in always works at home when we cat connect
                I HAD A BREEZE UP MY SHORTS AND IT FELT LIKE CHRISTMAS!!

Comment

Originally posted by padfoot View Post
                  But what did you do?

Did you enable a password on the network?
                  Did you enable MAC address filtering?
                  Yes
                  Not sure what you mean

Sorry all i get booted off this laptop every few mins. The stepdaughter's laptop connected fine. Hers is newish, mine's 3 or 4 yrs old Sony Vaio VGN FS93G that runs windows xp home edition Version 2002, Service pack 2. The modem is a Belkin wireless voip iinet.
                  Originally posted by lee

Comment

Originally posted by Crackers View Post
                    the guy from iinet gave up saying its my (3 year old Sony Vaio) laptop's fault. Anyone had anything similar happen? Any advice welcomed.
                    iinet girls ftw
                    Originally posted by Bendito
                    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Upgrade your XP to SP3 and try again. You may find it is the driver issue I mentioned, which SP3 may fix.
                      Nothing from something.

Comment

Call iinet back make sure you speak to someone in Perth, this shouldnt be an issue
                        National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

Thanks Zed - but I need to be online to do that?
                          Originally posted by lee

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Pat View Post
                            does you router have a "reset" button. Mine does, takes it back to the defaults. Never done the wireless thing myself, but at a guess perhaps you got the key wrong?
                            You dont need to reset to defaults, just connect your laptop via ethernet (a blue/yellow/grey cable) and log into your router like you did to change the security settings

Edit: didnt see that your girls laptop can connect, log in to the web interface from her laptop, and change it to a different security type WPA1 instead of 2 etc. Find what works
                            http://www.insearchofacocktail.com - Check it!

Originally posted by lee
                            how is that erotic? that's some chick laying on a towel on the floor with her hand down some where's wally knickers with preposterously sized fake cans and shaving rash around her hooch.

Comment

Download the SP3 pack from the microsoft website on the other computer, transfer via USB and viola. You don't need to be online to install it.

See how that helps. Depending on what security you enabled, most laptops will pick up WEP so try changing it to that.

The model number of your modem may help me talk you through some things.
                              Last edited by zed7fiddy; 08-08-2009, 05:37 PM.
                              Nothing from something.

Comment

Working...
                              X